Ker-Bull Air Race (New Update to Better Gates)

gxn0.jpg

It's quite a short course, 5 - 10 mins for a lap seems reasonable, located in the small mountain 30Km west(ish) of KSC. Start and finish at the Start/Finish and fly the gates in order, you can fly the white loop (easier) or the red loop (harder) or a figure 8 of both - if you want to post a time just say which of the loops you completed (two screenshots at the start/finish for timekeeping please). You can also compete for points, time doesn't matter - just fly a clean lap through every gate and gain points for mass and number of Kerbals carried around the course. Every 5T of mass at the finish gate = 1 point and every Kerbal carried = 1 point (you'll need an informational mod to display the final mass). You can land before or after a lap but no touchdown during a lap, if you've got landing gear please raise it (or no bouncing off the ground).

We've updated to a new version with better circular gates, many thanks to Togatown for the new gate and also re-creating the courses with the new gates in place - I didn't have to do anything - Brilliant :) See below for the new .zip

acdb.jpg

Here is the course and a loop through the red gates, each gate is an archway approx 50m high and 100m wide made from two large ramps from the RollKage Pack - thanks to Zitronen for allowing me to include a scaled version of it in this challenge.

edr2.jpg

You can enter as:

Stock Craft - Stock parts, informational only Mods and FAR may be used

Mod Craft - Balanced Mods and/or auto-pilots (Firespitter, PWing, B9, TV Pizza, ect. Please list them)

Extreme - Anything released (must be available on Forum or SpacePort, No editing gravity, ect, though)

Anything that flies and can fit through a gate is acceptable as long as it fits into the above categories.

Here is the latest NEW GATES COURSE from Togatown - Be sure to try this one! (same install as before)

Here is Original 0.21 Zip - Throw the contents of "Kerbull 21" folder into your main KSP directory or put "Kebull 21.sfs" in "Saves\Scenarios" and "Large Ramp" into "GameData". (you'll need the recaled ramp that's included)

Try some laps, if your finding it easy you need a bigger craft - or just go faster! :)

See Here for development of the_bT's pylon course.

Current Entries:

Phearlock - Standard Loop - Stock Craft (1.0.4 & nuFAR Standard) - 1.20

4plains - Standard Loop - Mod Craft (1.0.2 & nuFAR Hard) - 1.56

Limit - Standard Loop - Stock Craft - 2:35

Sudobee - Standard Loop - Stock Craft - 3:05 (new gates)

zombiphylax - Standard Loop - StockCraft - 3:26

Kanil - Standard Loop - StockCraft - 3:32

veio - Standard Loop - Stock Craft - 3:36

Zeroignite - Standard Loop - Stock Craft - 3:37 (new gates)

Derwitze - Standard Loop - Stock Craft - 3:53 (new gates)

Tarsus - Standard Loop - StockCraft - 4:02

Antbin - Standard Loop - StockCraft - 4:15 (new gates)

DerWitze - Advanced Loop - StockCraft - 3:45 (new gates)

Zeroignite - Advanced Loop - Stock Craft - 4:08 (new gates)

the_bT - Advanced Loop - StockCraft - 5:16

Me - Advanced Loop - ModCraft - 6:10

The old course (0.20) is still available HERE, and here is the old leaderboard:

the_bT [stock Craft] 2:58

Me! [Mod Craft] 3:40

Kerbies_are_my_Minions [stock Craft] 5:30 (spitfire recreation)

TouhouTorpedo [Mod Craft] 6:25

Edited by Darren9

Just so I'm clear, does this challenge require FAR, or is it optional for the stock craft section?
It's optional for stock craft, I though it was fair to allow stock to have it. I changed the OP to avoid confusion. Edited by Darren9

Erm... any chance you could make the placement/orientation of the gates a bit more intuitive?...

~snip~

You'll learn eventually :) If you fly roughly the course I outlined you'll be sort of lined up. I didn't think it was too much to need to lean the course, or go very slowly/carefully the first time around. A pod-racer at 180m/s for the first lap is far more Kerbal than me :)

Now the real challenge... Do it with the Kerbal X!

You did notice the video up there of someone doing this in a pod racer right lol

Though I'd love to know how hes got what looks like seat IVA there.

Anyway this looks great, think I'll try it.

EDIT : One thing quick. I think B9 aerodynamic surfaced aircraft should have their own class. They are significantly more maneuverable than most other mod aircraft are capable of being.

Edited by TouhouTorpedo

You did notice the video up there of someone doing this in a pod racer right lol

Though I'd love to know how hes got what looks like seat IVA there.

Anyway this looks great, think I'll try it.

EDIT : One thing quick. I think B9 aerodynamic surfaced aircraft should have their own class. They are significantly more maneuverable than most other mod aircraft are capable of being.

The Multiversal-Mechatronics Camera works from the old folders. Should I add a weight limit? I'm supposing they were made to make large designs more viable - no B9 surfaces below 25T vehicles or it goes to the extreme class? I just tend to not use them on small craft because they look ridiculous :)

Okay first entry going up:

~snip~

Total time 6:25. Quite beatable I'm sure but this was my first time around the course and its a good bar to set. I didn't fancy rushing it and turning into a pile of rubble that -didn't- have an entry!

Looks like you have a bit of spare thrust to go faster with that beast engine :) Are you planning reverse thrust to slow down for the gates? Well done to get around first time - I still struggle at gate 4 even though I know exactly where I put it.

Nah I don't use the reverse thrust. Its got a slow response time. I've got firesplitter airbrakes fitted with toggle airbrake on the brake action group. This means they are only deployed while holding brake. I could in theory add a lot more of them, and fly at a higher thrust deploying the brakes on turns.

Gate 5 probably gave me the most trouble. This was actually my second attempt, first time round I approached too high and couldn't pull up quick enough after passing the gate. (Second attempt I fitted those airbrakes, so I had a better chance if things were going pear shaped)

To be fair that engine is way overkill yeah - I should consider using the stock jet engine instead, or the firesplitter one. Just one of my main reasons for the MK4 is it still looks good when it stands alone, and has its own air intake. A B9 engine radial might be a good choice, but I don't have it installed anymore.

Here's a 4 min 16 seconds in a kind of back to front looking stock creation. The trees always seem to spawn in the gates if I land near the course. Just realized I left the gear down as well - It's OK, I didn't touch the ground.

8ron.png

5e2c.png

3mnf.png

Here's my stock run in a Spitfire. I don't expect to be the fastest time in this, but I think it's pretty good for my 2nd attempt through the gates. the vid is 9 min, but from gate 1 to gate 9 it's only 6 or 7 minutes.

http://www.twitch.tv/jasonlii/c/2553497

Nice lap in a good looking plane, looked around 5:30 to me so I'll add it to the OP. I haven't tried in something that looks realistic yet, the Kerbal contraptions seem easier to fly.

oh wait, I thought there was a problem with an above post. Didn't notice that was 3 HOURS not 3 minutes on the left, lol. You waited a fair old time before starting!
It started to get dark and my plane had no lights so I had to warp :) Edited by Darren9

I make alot of really realistic-ish looking planes http://imgur.com/a/jC2hm. they all fly really nicely, but spitfires are one of my fav make of plane. I thought about doing the lap in several other planes, but got tired of flying to the track for tonight. lol thanks for liking it though. I don't know the time. I just roughly guessed the time. Im sure a small simple kerbalish plane would be quick and agile though.

You inspired me to make a more realistic looking plane Kerbies, one prop wasn't fast enough so I had to do a twin prop bi-plane. It turned out flying pretty well, I was able to knock half a minute off my best lap for a 3:40.

qiwv.png

I think it would've been quite fast, my best was only around 210m/s which was my biplanes top speed. Nice lap. I'm surprised the gate held up to that, they weigh virtually nothing and broke more than you can believe when I was attempting to place them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.