[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Still have trouble with larger rocket fairings causing the payload to wobble around. Cannot use struts since when I do, the fairings do not jettison away properly.

Did you try strutting payload to the fuel tank below the base, not to the side fairings?

Great mod! I have an idea for possible improvement though: cylindrical fairings that stay the same width as the base. So rockets with multiple stages of different widths can still look like nice proper rockets on the launchpad.

It's called a interstage fairing and we already have it.

Just place another fairing base upside down higher up the rocket and the 2 will connect, allowing you to do exactly what you asked.

Does this work with FAR?

Inline (interstage) fairings don't work with FAR for now if you use bases that do quarters or thirds (halves work though, thirds might work too).

The regular (nose) fairings work with FAR just fine.

Inline (interstage) fairings don't work with FAR for now if you use bases that do quarters or thirds (halves work though, thirds might work too).

Thirds? Can this addon do that? I thought we only had halves (for the bases) or 4ths (for the rings)

The larges bases (3.75m and 5m) has three nodes.

It's just the matter of how many side nodes you have on the base part.

Ah that explains why I never noticed, I don't play with rockets larger than 2.5 meters, so i never used those bases before.

The fuselage is my new best friend. Great for making space station modules, airlocks etc.

Only trouble is that the part count grows very quickly when each module has at least 6 structural parts, if not 12-18 if I use multiple fuselages per module. Would it be possible to create single-part fuselages, or do the mechanics of the plugin require multiple parts?

Cheers.

Only trouble is that the part count grows very quickly when each module has at least 6 structural parts, if not 12-18 if I use multiple fuselages per module. Would it be possible to create single-part fuselages, or do the mechanics of the plugin require multiple parts?

Possible, but it'd need changes to the plugin code. The current one needs at least 2 side parts.

You can use high bases which have 2 side nodes, or mod base rings to have 2 side nodes.

Had a small bug with these earlier today - after a while one third/quarter of the fairing would become slightly clipped with another piece of the fairing and generate some weird ghost torque on my ship - jettisoning the fairing obviously solves this. Not sure if this is a common bug, so apologies if you already know about this.

can I still get the 20.2 version of this? I have some mods that i like using and not all of them have been updated yet so U

It should work with 20.2 as is.

Had a small bug with these earlier today - after a while one third/quarter of the fairing would become slightly clipped with another piece of the fairing and generate some weird ghost torque on my ship - jettisoning the fairing obviously solves this. Not sure if this is a common bug, so apologies if you already know about this.

You could try disabling auto-struts to see if that helps.

Really? How come? I've only recently started using FAR myself. If I mod them to use halves instead, would it then work with FAR or is it something else?

Really? How come? I've only recently started using FAR myself. If I mod them to use halves instead, would it then work with FAR or is it something else?

Yes, it'll work. It has to do with how FAR calculates fairing bounds, it uses bounding box of the fairing, slightly expanded, and tests part centers against it. So nose fairings will cover all payload, as will inline halves, but thirds and quarters will have a hole in the middle, where most of your stack is.

Are you sure it works correctly with FAR? I've tested FAR with procedural fairings and the launches I've made with the fairings reached lower heights than the ones without them.

Right-click the fairings and check the number of parts shielded. If it's no-zero, it works.

I have no idea about FAR aerodynamics, ask Ferram. I'm not making FAR, and I don't know what "correctly" means in this case. As long as it shields the payload, it's no different from any other fairings from FAR's point of view, as I understand.

Updated to 2.3:

• Changed fuselage texture to distinguish it from fairings.
  • You can now lock fairing shape: mouse over the side fairing/fuselage and press L.
  • Reduced side nodes size for smaller base rings and 0.625m fairing base (for easier placement).
  • Fixed inline fairings making a top cone when there should be just a cylinder.

I also fixed FAR for inline fairings and sent the patch to Ferram, but didn't get a reply yet.

Is it possible to get some hollow baseplates so that we can make hollow fuselages with stuff inside (such as putting a fuselage around a first stage cluster of fuel tanks/engines or a hollow fuselage containing a rover or lander that can be extracted ala Saturn V third stage)?

I'm going to add an interstage fairing adapter (see future plans). It'll have manually adjustable height and radii, and will automatically decouple from the "top" part (you can place it upside-down, of course) when the side fairings are ejected, to simulate side fairings holding the "top" part in place. You'll be able to place interstage payload inside it, like Saturn V, or you can surface-attach engines to the top part to make an engine cluster.

Looking forward to the fairing lock - that should help plane builders. Is symmetry fixed in the SPH yet? I'll find out in a few minutes...

Edit: Symmetry on a single inline fairing base doesn't work.

Edited by colmo