[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

I'm having a slight issue with a DRE shield below an interstage fairing adapter. The drag (FAR) is zeroed out for the parts inside the shells above it but also the shield applied to the bottom which makes reentry excruciatingly long and hot at Cd 0.002. Could thes shielded volume be adjusted to be more accurate?

I'm having a slight issue with a DRE shield below an interstage fairing adapter. The drag (FAR) is zeroed out for the parts inside the shells above it but also the shield applied to the bottom which makes reentry excruciatingly long and hot at Cd 0.002. Could thes shielded volume be adjusted to be more accurate?

Is the shield attached at the bottom? Or do you have it inverted and the shield is actually at the top node? Pics maybe?

Ferram is a bit generous in the FAR code as to what's covered by fairings (due to people complaing that fairings weren't covering things, IIRC ^_^) so that's part of it. The other part is that any part whose origin is inside fairings will count as faired. It just so happens that the heatshields have COMs near the top...

Ferram is a bit generous in the FAR code as to what's covered by fairings (due to people complaing that fairings weren't covering things, IIRC ^_^) so that's part of it. The other part is that any part whose origin is inside fairings will count as faired. It just so happens that the heatshields have COMs near the top...

Not convinced that's the answer. I've been playing around with this for a bit and it's not just that the heat shield is being affected, the interstage is not. Not by FAR and not by the heat shield. I had it explode several times. The probe core survived. Sometimes. If I ejected it it would come to rest against the top of the shield and... I guess that you're doing shockwave calculations such that as long as something is occulted from the shockwave by the shield it's considered protected?

Anyway, Frederf, suggestion: Put a small piece between the shield and the interstage. Anything really, that small 6 node cube in Structural might do it. Just as a workaround.

Edit: You don't need a decoupler if you attach to the topmost node. (the one that moves up and down if you mouseover while pressing H). Not that it's a factor in the discussion, just FYI

I don't have that particular cube yet unlocked in the RD tree. Even though I'm sure workarounds exist I was hoping for more enthusiasm toward the root cause. I'm not sure how the drag shielding works exactly but I would hope an exposed connection node or surface blunt to the air stream wouldn't be shielded. Is it nodes or COMs or ray tracing? I don't have that insight.

As a side note I'm aware of the intended construction of the interstage adapter and have used it that way but in this case I wanted the fairings and adapter to depart the craft at different times. What I think would be nice is to have a mode that removed the base+fairings whole, say if you blow the sides it separates the craft (triggers the base decoupler remotely) or if the base is triggered first the sides stay glued to the base and the base decouples directly.

I don't have that particular cube yet unlocked in the RD tree. Even though I'm sure workarounds exist I was hoping for more enthusiasm toward the root cause. I'm not sure how the drag shielding works exactly but I would hope an exposed connection node or surface blunt to the air stream wouldn't be shielded. Is it nodes or COMs or ray tracing? I don't have that insight.

As a side note I'm aware of the intended construction of the interstage adapter and have used it that way but in this case I wanted the fairings and adapter to depart the craft at different times. What I think would be nice is to have a mode that removed the base+fairings whole, say if you blow the sides it separates the craft (triggers the base decoupler remotely) or if the base is triggered first the sides stay glued to the base and the base decouples directly.

Since Starwaster does not know the root cause, all can offer is a workaround. Knowing, Starwaster would say. Starwaster not know so Starwaster cannot say. And in fact am not the creator or maintainer of any of the mods in question, so can only try to find out which mod is at fault and give that information to the appropriate persons.

Excusing my ignorance - I have just started playing with this mod, and the implications are VAST. I'm waiting with baited breath for a procedural cargo bay and heat shield, which have already been discussed, but that's just the cherry on the already substantial cake. This has unleashed some serious creativity, not being bound by the limited shapes and sizes of parts in the store.

What would be the possibility of using this exact model to create procedural fuel tanks? Maybe have a different shroud type for a fairing that is full of fuel, so that we can create fuel tanks that match the profile of the plane?

I've played around with the stretchy tanks mod, and they're great from the perspective of being able to size tanks according to their application and apply a texture, but they only support strictly cylindrical shapes. With this mod, my designs have become much more organic and aerodynamic, and the application for cylindrical tanks increasingly limited. Admittedly, there are workarounds using both stretchy tanks and procedural fairings, but the ideal would be to have the entire fairing chock full of fuel.

Will that be possible to move the upper surface of a conical tank around? So that we may have tanks tapering to an offset point, a bit like tank ends on Energia and UR-700.

Will that be possible to move the upper surface of a conical tank around? So that we may have tanks tapering to an offset point, a bit like tank ends on Energia and UR-700.

I want procedural fairings next!

Oh... wait, that's right...

I don't know if it was mentioned before but I continuously encounter a problem with the interstage fairing. If I use it upside down (I usually use it like that), it keeps reshaping itself and copies the width of the widest part of the rocket below it.

DxpgpCQ.png

uxlvdlN.png

I don't know if it was mentioned before but I continuously encounter a problem with the interstage fairing. If I use it upside down (I usually use it like that), it keeps reshaping itself and copies the width of the widest part of the rocket below it.

It's been mentioned.

Nothing really. It just adds a bit of realism scince real life pods have a fairing as well to keep them away of being damaged by the L.E.S. engines in an event of abort. I also use it for my Ares I like designs for the SRB top cover sometimes.

Thanks. So it has been mentioned. And what was the conclusion?

Edited by Reddragon

Woah, hadn't seen that before. What advantages are there to using the insterstage flipped upside down?

I used one for my RSS Duna lander

From the top down it was something like

custom hypersonic chute (set to predeploy at 15km full deploy at 11)

one of those 2.5m structural cap things (stock thing, forget what it's called)

upside down interstage -> fairings branch out from here covering the lower parts shielding them for FAR.

ST service module tank

B9 Atlas 'flat engine'

SDHI heat shield rescaled to 5 meters (attached to the floating interstage node which was at the bottom of the stack since I had turned it upside down)

With an entry velocity approximate to that used by Curiosity (FAR + DE installed) it was travelling almost as fast as Curiosity when I hit the 11km mark and deployed the chute. heat shield was attached to the interstage floating node but that was more for convenience while building it in the VAB since the shield had its own decoupler node. The probe itself was attached to the other interstage node so I could eject it just prior to landing. (at which point it stopped resembling curiosity as there was no 'skycrane')

So that's how I use upside down interstages. Helps me build Mars probe replicas.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I just noticed the 3.75 base and ring fairing plates are missing the techRequired line in their .cfg.

<3.75 all appear okay.

Edited by egreSS

Yeah, when edog released the 0.22 version he didn't include that one because he didn't know where to put it, you can put it wherever you want (you can check where KW puts the big fairings) :)

Question regarding noseConeShape to e-dog or anyone else who has successfully used it. Anyone have any idea how to do it? (images below)

I'm trying to make a blunt nosed triconic fairing. Using the following:

noseHeightRatio=3
baseConeShape=0.3, 0.3, 0.7, 0.7
noseConeShape=1, 0.0, 0.66, 0.33
baseConeSegments=2
noseConeSegments=2

The closest I get is...

nYnGlzK.png

What I'm trying to replicate (more or less) is this:

iQsTXl2.jpg

Any plans for 3m bases? Also re-usable fairings would be nice, ie opens on hinges, instead of detaching explosively, would be useful to make basically cargo bays, for say a docking lander on a vehicle that aerobrakes/captures, I swear I won't use em to capture spacecraft launched by KSC2.

Greetings to all. Not 'pushing', just asking, is the ability to change textures to match StretchyStuff going to be included in one of the next updates? Again, all is working just fine, I am just looking to when i can 'polish' the finished looks of some of my craft.

Again, thanks for a great mod....