[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Hey e-dog, any way I can persuade you to read density and specificmass (respectively) from the cfg, rather than hardcoding it? For the Earth-size Kerbin with Earth-size dV, I want to try to check and tweak all component masses vs. RL rockets'.

I mean, I can do it on my end, but I figure it'd be useful to everyone who's playing with rescaled Kerbin.

Hey e-dog, any way I can persuade you to read density and specificmass (respectively) from the cfg, rather than hardcoding it? For the Earth-size Kerbin with Earth-size dV, I want to try to check and tweak all component masses vs. RL rockets'.

I mean, I can do it on my end, but I figure it'd be useful to everyone who's playing with rescaled Kerbin.

They are not hardcoded. Anything marked with [KSPField] is read from the cfg.

Why aren't the 3.75m and 5m fairings in the tech tree? I would like to play with them in Career mode, too.

Because I didn't know where to put them. They should go in Hypersonic Flight, I guess, if you look at KW Rocketry, for example.

Why aren't the 3.75m and 5m fairings in the tech tree? I would like to play with them in Career mode, too.

Stock doesn't have any 3m or 5m parts, so there's nothing to attach to the fairing bases to except with mod parts - and those could be anywhere the mod part author decides to put them. There's no one answer, so you're free to do it yourself.

I wonder if anyone's created an improved Kessler Syndrome Generator with the Interstage Adapters yet.

Also, I'm quite fond of this mod. Very aesthetically pleasing, and likely effective in FAR as well.

A question I'd like to ask is, exactly how difficult is this sort of thing to extend to other kinds of cross-section shapes? I'm thinking Mk2 and Mk3 spaceplane fuselages, specifically, or even more specifically a kind of a procedural "cargo bay", using inline fairings or an interstage adapter, intended for mirror rather than radial symmetry.

A question I'd like to ask is, exactly how difficult is this sort of thing to extend to other kinds of cross-section shapes? I'm thinking Mk2 and Mk3 spaceplane fuselages, specifically, or even more specifically a kind of a procedural "cargo bay", using inline fairings or an interstage adapter, intended for mirror rather than radial symmetry.

Actually, I want to make a procedural fuselages mod for (space)planes, with procedural cargo bays and adjustable profile. Also procedural wings with inline control surfaces etc.

I have no idea when I'll get to that though.

Well, no rush on the procedural wings (kinda have another mod for that at the moment), but procedural fuselages could help a lot. Especially with mirror symmetry and a "heat shield" shell/fuselage casing, for use with Deadly Reentry, so you could have a shielded bottom and a regular, opening top. The cargo bays can already be sorta made with the Infernal Robotics plugin. Just lock the fairing shape and stick them onto hinges.

Are there normal fairings in the game (without using this mod)? I can't seem to find them while playing a career.

There are no stock fairings. You'll have to use a mod of some sort.

EDIT: ninja'd by Sean!

This a very nice mod, great work e-dog. I only have a small feature wish: could it be made possible that the "toggle fuel crossfeed" of the interstage adapter can be accessed via action groups? Up to now, only right clicking on the part works.

On a related note: what does "Decouple" do with the interstage adapter?

Decouple on the interstage adapter does absolutely nothing. It is there only so MechJeb and KER calculate dVs properly (and don't crash). The way that top node _actually_ decouples is when a majority of side fairings attached to the interstage adapter are decoupled (the fairings hold what's on top of the adapter).

Decouple on the interstage adapter does absolutely nothing. It is there only so MechJeb and KER calculate dVs properly (and don't crash). The way that top node _actually_ decouples is when a majority of side fairings attached to the interstage adapter are decoupled (the fairings hold what's on top of the adapter).

That, and fuel crossfeed is disabled for the same purpose.

I ask again, how do I add this module to parts?

Select the MODULE sections in one of the config files, select "cut", open your part's config file, select "paste", edit the parameters to taste.

BTW, as far as taste goes, I recommend:

baseConeShape=0, 0, 1, 0.5
noseConeShape=0, 0, 1, 0.5

This gives the "pointy on the top, but rounded on the side" look I like best ("raindrop shape", perhaps?). I think that's what the KW fairings were shaped like, but I might be misremembering, it's been so long since I used them...

Edited by Gaius

Actually DarthVader was asking about the base. You just need to add the module from the same size fairing base, and (this may not be necessary but) change the name of the side attach nodes to match if they don't already: node_stack_connect01, and node_stack_connect02

Actually DarthVader was asking about the base. You just need to add the module from the same size fairing base, and (this may not be necessary but) change the name of the side attach nodes to match if they don't already: node_stack_connect01, and node_stack_connect02

And hope there aren't any hard coded model transform dependencies.

And... actually since it's KW fairing bases he's going to need to relocate those connect nodes. They stick out quite a bit

Why do you want to do that, Darth? Just curious.

I think we need more texture options for the fairings. At least a heat shield option, too. Because this is quite awesome.

screenshot447.png

screenshot450.png

screenshot446.png

I am tempted to make all my future spaceplanes out of nothing but interstage adapters. :P

Also, the "decouple" function on the interstage adapter does do something! It severs your control of anything behind the adapter, without actually disconnecting it from the ship. Or maybe it's just this plane.

screenshot449.png

Perfectly steerable with just the canards, despite everything beyond the cockpit being nonresponsive. :)

Edited by Sean Mirrsen