[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Yes, because solar panels don't know anything about being shrouded by fairings. I'm not going to fix solar panels code, sorry :)
But solarpanels actual knows, if they are covered by something. Shouldn't fairings work at the same way?

Which is exactly what e-dog pointed out. The solar panel coding does not recognise fairings. There is nothing in the fairing code to fix.

Actually, it might be possible to fix, but decompiling KSP code to find out how is against the license.

Preventing extended panels from breaking inside fairings is unlikely without modification to solar panels code though.

i love this mod. but it seems i cant get the look i want. i want a bullet like shape, but i only get this ugly edge.

is there a trick to this?

Try attaching to the upper node instead of the lower.

that or use standard fairing rings but put a second fairing ring upside down where you want the fairing to end. (such as under the command pod maybe)

Edit: Wait do you want the fairing to cover the entire command module? Do what I said on line 2 but don't do the second upside down ring. Just replace that interstage adapter that you have above with a fairing ring.

Edited by Starwaster

the payload and the capsule is one thing. its something like the dragon or orion spacecraft and is able to return to kerbin in one piece.

after fiddling around with h,j and r i got it to work! you can build some awesome crafts with this mod! neat!

2013-09-18_00001%20(Medium).jpg

it works just fine if the base is wider than the top. but when it is the same width, it always gets like this

__

O |

O |

O /

instead of

O \

O |

O /

Edited by Umlüx

it works just fine if the base is wider than the top. but when it is the same width, it always gets like this

__

O |

O |

O /

instead of

O \

O |

O /

If you reduce the fairing radius just a little bit, you should get some rounder edges at the top in that scenario.

Help -- I can't seem to jettison my fairings. Am i missing something? I get no right-click options on the fairings in flight, and in the VAB pressing "f" to adjust jettison force doesn't do anything. The "f" option is not even in the item descriptions. I do get the crossfeed toggle and full options with the bases, just not the fairings themselves. Stock fairings do give me a right-click option to jettison.

Silly me didn't fully test the fairings after installing this until i'd already carefully positioned a satellite around Minmus. I finally ended up just decoupling the payload and using RCS thrusters to unceremoniously sling it around until it broke free of the fairings. Even then, the fairings didn't break apart, i had to defy physics by passing thru them still intact. I'm new to this, so i may be missing something simple?

v2.4.1

KSP v0.21

Did you make sure that you were actually using fairings?? This also has Fuselage parts that work like the fairings but are designed NOT to eject.......

Ahhh, i'm an idiot. Didn't read the descriptions closely enough and thought they were just cosmetic differences. Yes, i was using the wrong ones. Thanks.

This is how i place the lights.

Shot5529.jpg

1st stage sep is koool to watch, but i think i will need to change that..... :(

Shot5464a.jpg

The way i used it to connect 1st & 2nd stage require fuel crossfeed which f-up staging with mechjeb....

Is there any scope for adding a Heat-shield and a Back-shell for planetary probes?

The Heatshield should be a single piece that fits below a payload and adjusts it's curve and radius slightly according to the payload above. It'd only need to be a shallow dish shape and with a manual radius option to allow fine tuning and a central mounting part with a decoupler built in.

The Backshell would be a kinda reverse of the fairing cone, but a single piece that fitted above the payload and formed down over it, stopping at the heat-shield if it was fitted or the bottom of the payload if not. Again, it would attach via a central part with a decoupler and need a manual radius option for fine tuning.

I'm thinking these would be useful for putting below landers and rovers when hurling them through the atmosphere on Duna or Eve, for example.

Yes, both are planned.

I'm busy with other stuff now, so I don't have much time to work on the next update though.

Would it be possible for someone to do via the config files by editing the shape parameters and adding the appropriate modules in the config file?