[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

While I too would love to see that changed, it's the way e-dog talked about the interstage: the fairings support the weight of what's above them along the ring they themselves form. If they don't decouple, the weight is still supported.

Right. What I'm wondering is if it's possible to somehow decople the fuselage sides just from the upper stage when the interstage decouple is triggered. That would be ideal, I just don't know what's involved with that, code-wise. It would certainly help with designing debris-free missions.

@jrandom Awesome, you answered my question before I even asked it :-D I've run some experiments, and it seems the upper stage will stay stuck with fairings until you eject them, but can be decoupled if you only cover 2 of the 4 sides with fuselages. I'm not sure how helpful that is, but it may have use for re-entry shields and the like.

Right. What I'm wondering is if it's possible to somehow decople the fuselage sides just from the upper stage when the interstage decouple is triggered. That would be ideal, I just don't know what's involved with that, code-wise. It would certainly help with designing debris-free missions.

Disable auto struts and it will decouple from the top.

Disable auto struts and it will decouple from the top.

But I still want the fuselage sides to auto-strut to themselves, the base, and the invisible top bit containing the floating node. Doesn't disabling auto-struts remove all of that?

updated my Katurn mun rocket abit.

Strapped 4x Glode X5 SRBs to the 1st stage to get max. power for the initial ascent. Using smaller power engines on the 2nd & 3rd stages to get them a bit more fuel effective hopefully.

Shot5094.jpg

Shot5089.jpg

is there a way for me to get rid of custom fairing base? I don't have older model that use custom fairing base, so I don't need it and it would be nice to get rid of stuff I don't use

Remove base*.cfg, baseModel.mu and baseTex.tga

New question.. Is this possible?

e-dog, any chance we could adjust the height of where the fairing starts to curve inward? Useful both for normal and interstage fairings.

The curve starts right from the interstage ring and it needs to go far up the payload so it ends up clipping through half the craft.

Edited by Motokid600

Suggestion: Nose cap fairings. They would be attached like normal fairings, and would decouple with considerable force from the base, but not from each other.

EDIT: Perhaps you misunderstood, this would be a hollow cone with stuff actually inside it (i.e. not just jettisoning the whole nosecone, I could do that with stock).

Edited by zxczxczbfg

Suggestion: Nose cap fairings. They would be attached like normal fairings, and would decouple with considerable force from the base, but not from each other.

Place stack decoupler, place fairing base, put fairings on, jettison whole thing with decoupler while ignoring the fairing decouplers?

And clip the nose cone through the craft? Will that cause problems? Its easy to have PF just cover the whole payload. but I just need the section leading up the the command pod covered.

I've done this using the faring base rings. Under the command pod, attach a fairing base ring that's been flipped upside down, but I'd hazard a guess you could do this with the interstage part as well.

zX7Iuad.jpg

HeadHunter, try locking the gimble. that solved alot for me. this was suggested by many on the MJ Threads and the Nova threads.

or tune down the gimble range of the engine, i have reduced the NP bearcat5x from 0.5 to 0.3.

i didnt locked the gimble on my Katurn, i need it to turn that ~800 ton monster. :)

I encountered a problem with the procedural interstage.

When I tried to make a Saturn V replica, whenever I decoupled the fairings around the MEM and CSM, they would seperate from my K-IVB. Aka the payload would seperate from the interstage plate.

Imgur album:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Link to it if it doesn't work for some reason.

http://imgur.com/a/yjg9m#0

If you want you can have the .craft file, but it uses 4 mods...

Other than that I really like this mod. :)

Use Custom Fairing Base. Interstage is for...interstages, and is therefore working as designed.

(The point of the intertage fairing adapter is that the fairings support what's above it. Decouple the fairings, and what's above it decouples.)

Or you can use, for the lander, the node whose height you can't adjust; reserve the node whose height you can adjust for the CSM (and don't place the CSM directly on the lander). Then, too, it should work for you, and decoupling fairings will decouple CSM but NOT the LEM.

The csm is supposed to be carried only by the fairings on the S-IVB :) no link between the csm and the lander :) - when the fairings detach, the csm was just floating away from the lander - so they just needed to turn around and pick the lander :)

Edited by sgt_flyer