[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

what's the difference between custom fairing base and faring base?

Afaik none, 'cept that the custom ones are taller. Basically they are just legacy stuff that was kept and renamed when e-dog made the new base look, that was done to avoid breaking existing crafts as the new bases are lower.

I love the new inline fairings, but could you please add an addapter that doesn't contain a decoupler, so i can shield one half of my craft like the Orion ship?

Pulling the half of the fairing you want to stay on the craft out of staging doesnt work?

Pulling the half of the fairing you want to stay on the craft out of staging doesnt work?

I mean that the main attachment point of the fairing base is directly on the base, so you need a extra decoupler to remove the stage, the upper limit is free adjustable, and can snap to different parts, but doesn't separate them.

I mean that the main attachment point of the fairing base is directly on the base, so you need a extra decoupler to remove the stage, the upper limit is free adjustable, and can snap to different parts, but doesn't separate them.

You can just move the horizontal decoupler to stage 0 and never use it.

And use fuselage for sides so they won't eject too.

2.4.1 is brilliant! Every is now working nicely, thank you for being open to suggestions e-dog.

As side note I added the stage offset and decoupler values to the other fairing bases so I don't have to add separate decouplers, although I left the base rings as they are so they can be used in other ways.

I've written a Module Manager config file which adds the stage offset and decoupler to the larger bases (not the short, ring bases). This makes them work with Engineer and also allows you to decouple the payload without the need for an extra part. Full credit to the authors of Module Manager and Procedural Fairings for making amazing mods and sharing them with the community.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/procfairingsbasedeco/

I've written a Module Manager config file which adds the stage offset and decoupler to the larger bases (not the short, ring bases). This makes them work with Engineer and also allows you to decouple the payload without the need for an extra part. Full credit to the authors of Module Manager and Procedural Fairings for making amazing mods and sharing them with the community.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/procfairingsbasedeco/

I'd like a module manager config that enables surface attachment for stock engines (up to 1.25m ones), to make engine clusters without extra cubic trusses, like AIES does.

If it's possible, it'll be a great addition to interstage adapter.

That reminds me of an idea I had earlier - procedural heat shields. It seems like it would only be a texture and config change, to make these generated fairings work with Deadly REentry, i.e. also work as heat shields? Would it be possible to make that, and even better, to make it by adding it as an option to the existing parts rather than adding another kind of fairing? I think that's all I need to finally dive in and try Deadly Reentry :)

That reminds me of an idea I had earlier - procedural heat shields. It seems like it would only be a texture and config change, to make these generated fairings work with Deadly REentry, i.e. also work as heat shields? Would it be possible to make that, and even better, to make it by adding it as an option to the existing parts rather than adding another kind of fairing? I think that's all I need to finally dive in and try Deadly Reentry :)

I didn't try Deadly Reentry yet, I read it's somewhat buggy.

I'll add procedural heatshields and heatshield fairings after I'll try DE, but it's fairly low priority for now.

I'm going to do procedural decouplers with shroud (KW-style) next, maybe nosecones too. Then advanced texturing for fairing sides, to make KW-styled and other fairings.

I didn't try Deadly Reentry yet, I read it's somewhat buggy.

I'll add procedural heatshields and heatshield fairings after I'll try DE, but it's fairly low priority for now.

I'm going to do procedural decouplers with shroud (KW-style) next, maybe nosecones too. Then advanced texturing for fairing sides, to make KW-styled and other fairings.

Reading this I somehow want modders to be able to create their own subdirectory in VAB ... :D

At least if it is not more engines, tanks, lights etc. but really something different like fairings, space station parts etc.

Reading this I somehow want modders to be able to create their own subdirectory in VAB ... :D

At least if it is not more engines, tanks, lights etc. but really something different like fairings, space station parts etc.

Part Catalog mod is quite good for that.

I'd like a module manager config that enables surface attachment for stock engines (up to 1.25m ones), to make engine clusters without extra cubic trusses, like AIES does.

If it's possible, it'll be a great addition to interstage adapter.

Testing that now, the code will actually make all engines surface mountable (even engines from other mods). While I'm working on it, to look best the engines need a nice surface to attach to. Can you either add a flat surface to the bottom of the fairing bases so the engines don't float in mid air, or even better create procedural engine mounting plates (looking a bit like heat shields) so we can add them to the bottom of other parts, resize to fit, then place surface mounting engines to it.

If you wanted to create the procedural engine mounting plate as a separate mod then just include my config file to make all engines surface mountable that would be great.

KSP just wouldn't be the same without this mod. Keep up the good work, regardless of what us yammering throngs shout at you.

MyLnnY9.jpg

as much as I love using this mod to do things like that, that looks like a case where you should use Modular Fuel Tanks so you can mix all your Fuel types all in one tank (fuels, monoprop and oxygen)

IMNSHO

Edited by Starwaster
added disclaimer

Mod up on spaceport, makes any engine (including those in mods) surface mountable to make it easier to make clustered engines.

Mod created with Module Manager and the Module Manager wildcard extension plugins, all credit to the authors.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/surfacemountengines/

Great! with those cool extra extensions sarbian (I think) made, is it possible to make it only match engines below a certain weight?

Could you please fix undetached fairings sticking to the ejected payload with the new fairingbase so you can shield your own engine-clusters without splitting the interstage or hide smaller engines inside the fairing.

as much as I love using this mod to do things like that, that looks like a case where you should use Modular Fuel Tanks so you can mix all your Fuel types all in one tank (fuels, monoprop and oxygen)

I've been eyeballing that mod. It's on my list of "mods to try out". I went a bit mod-crazy when I first started, so right now I'm trying to keep my parts mods to an absolute minimum. Also, I like building service modules! Feels more realistic than a master tank that just has stuff built-in. (There's more than just monopropellant there, there's two RTG's and some IonCross oxygen tanks.)

I wish we had more sciency equipement that actually did things -- I could cram them in there as well.

Great! with those cool extra extensions sarbian (I think) made, is it possible to make it only match engines below a certain weight?

Yes, you can. The mod already makes use of Sarbian's plugin, so you'd just have to modify the code to the config file: ModuleManager_SurfaceMountEngines.cfg

The code below would make any Engine under 2.1 mass surface mountable, which should include all stock and KW engines 1.25m and smaller.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines]]:HAS[#mass < 2.1] {

@attachRules = 1,1,1,0,0

}

Mod up on spaceport, makes any engine (including those in mods) surface mountable to make it easier to make clustered engines.

Mod created with Module Manager and the Module Manager wildcard extension plugins, all credit to the authors.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/surfacemountengines/

Thanks, I'll try it out.

Could you please fix undetached fairings sticking to the ejected payload with the new fairingbase so you can shield your own engine-clusters without splitting the interstage or hide smaller engines inside the fairing.

I don't quite get what the problem is. Pictures maybe?

The wait is just killing me. :) Actually, it's such a big deal to me that I've actively started reading up on how to create mods. I'm already familiar with C# (although I'm a C/C++ coder at heart) so it appears to simply be a matter of learning some Unity and the KSP API.

I'm not entirely sure if the planned stock KSP science package is nerdy enough for what I want in one, so I guess maybe it's time for me to start working on that proof-of-concept mod...

The wait is just killing me. :) Actually, it's such a big deal to me that I've actively started reading up on how to create mods. I'm already familiar with C# (although I'm a C/C++ coder at heart) so it appears to simply be a matter of learning some Unity and the KSP API.

I'm not entirely sure if the planned stock KSP science package is nerdy enough for what I want in one, so I guess maybe it's time for me to start working on that proof-of-concept mod...

I want RemoteTech-light + science. Launch comm satellites, but transmit science data, no need for comm link to control and no control delays. So you can scan a planet or whatever, but you can't view the data until it's successfully transmitted to KSC.

Probably scanning planets getting spectrometer data and naming new geological materials too.

I doubt stock science in the next update will be that, but it's getting pretty damn close.