[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

I want RemoteTech-light + science. Launch comm satellites, but transmit science data, no need for comm link to control and no control delays. So you can scan a planet or whatever, but you can't view the data until it's successfully transmitted to KSC.

Probably scanning planets getting spectrometer data and naming new geological materials too.

I doubt stock science in the next update will be that, but it's getting pretty damn close.

I'm one of those oddballs that thinks that remote probes should be programmable-only (via DCPU-16 style simulated CPU or similar), and not directly flyable. That way you would have to try to program out a mission, launch it, and only see the results via still images sent back by the probe. If you want to fly manually, send a manned pod.

I don't think that's gonna happen, though. :)

I'm one of those oddballs that thinks that remote probes should be programmable-only (via DCPU-16 style simulated CPU or similar), and not directly flyable. That way you would have to try to program out a mission, launch it, and only see the results via still images sent back by the probe. If you want to fly manually, send a manned pod.

I'd rather have a programmable (in-game) control module so I can set ascent profiles for SSTO planes and rockets with FAR, as well as other custom launch procedures.

Somewhat hardcore, but really useful if you're a programmer :)

I'd rather have a programmable (in-game) control module so I can set ascent profiles for SSTO planes and rockets with FAR, as well as other custom launch procedures.

Somewhat hardcore, but really useful if you're a programmer :)

We're getting off-topic here, but I believe that RemoteTech 2 will support the DCPU-16 mod, so we'll get full programability. I am so looking forwards to this. If it works, I'm going to restrict myself to only using programs for remote probes.

We're getting off-topic here, but I believe that RemoteTech 2 will support the DCPU-16 mod, so we'll get full programability. I am so looking forwards to this. If it works, I'm going to restrict myself to only using programs for remote probes.

Just the opposite here. I will not be using RemoteTech2 if it requires programming. I'm with E-dog, I want a RemoteTech lite. Need to have a comms network to control unmanned stuff, but without the comms delay.

Just the opposite here. I will not be using RemoteTech2 if it requires programming. I'm with E-dog, I want a RemoteTech lite. Need to have a comms network to control unmanned stuff, but without the comms delay.

It won't require programming, it's just an extra bonus for us coder types. Personally I don't see the point of remote probes if you can fly them directly and don't have signal delay. You might as well just fly manned missions at that point. :)

It would be a perfect fit if remote probe cores were for advanced-mode players. Again, just my opinion -- not everyone plays KSP the same way.

I don't quite get what the problem is. Pictures maybe?

Of course! Right so I've got a craft here with engines attached to the Interstage plate and the bottom of a KW fuel tank. You can see the engines are attached to the model but appear to be floating in space. I assume that's because the collision mesh is not exactly the same as the model.

Surface%20Mounting.jpg

On the right I have a heat shield from deadly reentry attached to the bottom of the tank and I have mounted the engines on that. It's not perfect because the heat shield is not perfectly flat, but it's better in as much as the engines now appear to be bolted to the rocket.

So what I'm thinking is a part, looking like the heat shield although with a flatter bottom (some curve improves the look of the model I think) that you can resize procedurally in the same way you can resize the interstage base. Then users can place this on the bottom of your fairings are well as on the bottom of fuel tanks and then surface mount engines to it. If you bundle in my engine mount mod then users have a single mod to make mounting plates and place engines on them.

Something I'd love to do with a mod like that was make stages from clusters of tanks, inside a procedural fairing with clustered engines underneath, like the Saturn 1b

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_IB

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

Perhaps that should be the difference between a probe core (programmable) and the RGU's (controllable), it'd suddenly justify all that extra mass in the RGU's at least.

Of course! Right so I've got a craft here with engines attached to the Interstage plate and the bottom of a KW fuel tank -snip-

I'm afraid your picture isn't visible (I don't think you can hotlink from that source)

Edited by NoMrBond

Odd, I can see it this end, but that might be because I'm logged in to the site. Updated the link, hopefully you should be able to see it now.

Yeah, I see the point now. It should be better with stock tanks though, I guess.

The plate is possible, of course.

Odd, I can see it this end, but that might be because I'm logged in to the site. Updated the link, hopefully you should be able to see it now.

Probably, it said something about needing to be signed into the Live! service.

Yes, it's visible now.

I don't quite get what the problem is. Pictures maybe?

I tried to build interstages and launchtubes from the fuselage, so I don't get those 4 parts separated, but instead of decoupling the top part where the interstage fairing adapter is attached to, this part stucks to the fuselage:

LHDcgga.jpg

when i make four of the fuselage, the hatch doesn't open

Sigh.

Hey e-Dog, any idea why this is happening? I previously made decoupler versions of bases and base rings. This craft is using two of them top and bottom to make a giant fairing that I attach rockets to. When I reload this craft, press ctrl-Z in the VAB, revert from launch pad to VAB, etc, one of the fairing pieces will disappear and is replaced by a fairing piece that looks the way they do before you place them. It moves from its usual spot leaving a gap. Not only that but the individual fairing pieces seem to confuse which engine is attached to them. (notice in the screenshot that one fairing and one engine are glowing when I have the fairing highlighted. But they are not actually connected or associated with each other)

The way I created the part was to

1. Copy the file
  2. Edit the name to make it unique.
  3. add decoupler module code.

I've been using these for awhile and built several craft this way (posted pictures of them in this thread I think) and it's worked well for quite awhile. Only thing that's changed recently is that I downloaded the latest version for the interstage functionality.

Edit: Ok, definitely something that it doesn't like about me adding the decoupler module to :(

Ok, disregard, everything works fine, the mod isn't corrupting my craft, me adding decouplers to the part works just fine, everything is fine. Except that when I made my new parts I accidentally made two node_stack_connect03 so the result was almost predictable. (except that I probably corrupted that craft file pretty good so unless I can hack the file and fix it then I'm going to have to put it back together piece by piece)

3FuPnY9.jpg

Edited by Starwaster
More info...

I think if you use fuselage the whole thing becomes structural, blocking the exit. If you want the rocket to come out of the tube you may need to not use the node at the top and uncover the exit by some other means (such as MSI Infernal Robotics powered hinge)

Another way might be to make the fuselage parts as long as you need them, lock their shape, then wind the top node back down and use that to launch your rocket instead of the lower decoupler (part saving), and then cover the top via some other removeable means

... p-wings has a procedural adapter??

Yeah, but I don't think it was intended to be used that way :P

Come to think of it I have no idea what the heck the P-Adapter is for, I never could figure it out and I ended up uninstalling the mod because I don't do planes enough to justify having it and I needed to pare down.

Edit: Oh, as for how to fix that fairing, I think maybe if the fairing walls were thinner it should fit better....?

Edited by Starwaster

I can't quite get the new interstage to go flush with 1.25m top parts. This is as small as I can get the top radius before the shape suddenly pops cylindrical (and the gap is still there):

Edit: ignore this, I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to use proc interstage correctly -- I had the engine attached to the upper bottom node instead of the top node with a 'J' height of '0'.

2KcIzJc.jpg

Edited by jrandom

Few questions on what this mod does by now.

Do the fairings act as nosecones (with FAR e.g.) and reduce drag?

Are they acting as heat shields?

They do not seem to block sunlight - will control surfaces and wings also still work while inside the fairings?

I think if you use fuselage the whole thing becomes structural, blocking the exit. If you want the rocket to come out of the tube you may need to not use the node at the top and uncover the exit by some other means (such as MSI Infernal Robotics powered hinge)

Another way might be to make the fuselage parts as long as you need them, lock their shape, then wind the top node back down and use that to launch your rocket instead of the lower decoupler (part saving), and then cover the top via some other removeable means

It does not "block" the exit, but the hatch sticks to the tube walls. When you just use 1/4 of the tube walls it works, because only one fuselage part can't hold it enough and the hatch roles down as soon as you release the decoupler of the fairing base

It does not "block" the exit, but the hatch sticks to the tube walls. When you just use 1/4 of the tube walls it works, because only one fuselage part can't hold it enough and the hatch roles down as soon as you release the decoupler of the fairing base

Sorry yes, I wasn't precise enough with my language there, I was meaning that if you put something at the top node with the fuselage pieces, the canister you make is pretty much sealed.

Here's the second part though, fixing fuselage length then winding the top node down and putting opening lids on the launch tubes

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I've been eyeballing that mod. It's on my list of "mods to try out". I went a bit mod-crazy when I first started, so right now I'm trying to keep my parts mods to an absolute minimum. Also, I like building service modules! Feels more realistic than a master tank that just has stuff built-in. (There's more than just monopropellant there, there's two RTG's and some IonCross oxygen tanks.)

I wish we had more sciency equipement that actually did things -- I could cram them in there as well.

Totally understandable, I've had to drop lots of my favorite parts packs as I didnt use them enough to justify the crashing.

Modular Fuel tanks is not a parts mod though. It uses module manager to patch existing parts. most major packs are supported and there's a Real Fuels set of configs to introduce things like liquid H2 and O2. I've been working on a set of configs for it to add additional fuel options for nuclear engines. And when I say it 'patches' the files, it all happens in memory when KSP initializes. The files are left intact.

Few questions on what this mod does by now.

Do the fairings act as nosecones (with FAR e.g.) and reduce drag?

Are they acting as heat shields?

They do not seem to block sunlight - will control surfaces and wings also still work while inside the fairings?

they do work with FAR to reduce drag. AFAIK they should work as heat shields if the max temp proprtiy is set high enough.

no they dont block sun. control surfaces and wings definitely without FAR, dont know about with FAR.