[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

That's stretchy tanks. Note it only happens for the stretchy tanks. You must have added, and been using, stretchy tanks (StretchySRB in particular, my fork of it).

Oh, I'm sorry, I was really sleepy when I posted that, now I see. Yeah, I had mixed up Stretchy Tanks and Modular Fuel Systems.. AND real fuels :P

Hi, I tried to use PF for cargo below the command pod similar to how the Lunar Module was below the Service Module on the Saturn V. Now I noticed, that you have to jettison the fairing and to cut the connection to the cargo. Is it possible to simply remove one fairing base without ejecting the fairing? This is my current layout:

http://i.imgur.com/SQcAT1w.jpg

Fabian

You may need to use the black interstage base. In which case you can do away with the top base. So.. if I understand correctly you want to decouple the CM from the cargo without losing the fairing? That should be no problem for the IS base. ( I use that base for every rocket reguardless. You can achieve much better looking fairings then with the static bases. )

Oh and you don't need that decoupler up top between the docking port and CM. And you don't need the docking port on the lower fairing base ( unless you need to re-dock for whatever reason ). The docking port itself acts as a decoupler. Right click, "Decouple Node."

Edited by Motokid600

You may need to use the black interstage base.[...]

About what part you are talking about? I have to check but I can't remember to have something black.

[...]Oh and you don't need that decoupler up top between the docking port and CM. And you don't need the docking port on the lower fairing base ( unless you need to re-dock for whatever reason ). The docking port itself acts as a decoupler. Right click, "Decouple Node."

For some reason not on my install. I don't know which plugin, but I had a craft already in orbit but then noticed that I was unable to decouple the cargo. It wasn't PF as it wasn't installed at that point.

Fabian

About what part you are talking about? I have to check but I can't remember to have something black.

Its separate from all the others. The interstage fairing base. It can be adjusted for any and all sizes and allows for more fairing customization.

For some reason not on my install. I don't know which plugin, but I had a craft already in orbit but then noticed that I was unable to decouple the cargo. It wasn't PF as it wasn't installed at that point.

Fabian

Im pretty sure ive been able to decouple a part off the end of a docking port since ive been playing. Could be wrong though. Only mod I can think of that might do is Romfarer. Maybe someone else can chime in on that one.

-----

I got an inquiry myself.. whats all this talk of textures? Is it possible to change them now on the fairings?

Fabian

I'm fairly confident that there's nothing about your installation that's so different that you can't decouple something from your docking port. If you attached something to that port in the VAB and you have power and command ability then decouple ability is available from the docking ports GUI. You can even bind that to an action group and I suggest you do.

Its separate from all the others. The interstage fairing base. It can be adjusted for any and all sizes and allows for more fairing customization.[...]

Hmmm, I haven't developed it yet in the tech tree. I tested it in a sandbox game, but how do I change the base radius? I have only one black part which has the small diameter (size 1)

[...]Im pretty sure ive been able to decouple a part off the end of a docking port since ive been playing. Could be wrong though. Only mod I can think of that might do is Romfarer. Maybe someone else can chime in on that one.[...]
I'm fairly confident that there's nothing about your installation that's so different that you can't decouple something from your docking port. If you attached something to that port in the VAB and you have power and command ability then decouple ability is available from the docking ports GUI. You can even bind that to an action group and I suggest you do.

I can assure you, it didn't work and it is not that big of a problem (yes a bit of dry mass, but I don't tune my rockets perfectly and I have enough fuel on board). I can retest it and show you screenshots.

Fabian

I can assure you, it didn't work and it is not that big of a problem (yes a bit of dry mass, but I don't tune my rockets perfectly and I have enough fuel on board). I can retest it and show you screenshots.

Fabian

In this order:

• Load your rocket in the VAB
  • Click the Action Group Editor button.
  • Select the docking port.
  • Now, on the left side side of the screen is the Action Group Editor itself.
  • Select an Action Group to assign to. (pick one of the ones that says 'Custom1'... 'Custom2'... etc)
  • On the right side of the Action Group Editor is a list of actions available to that part. Click the one that says Decouple. (or 'Decouple Node' maybe)
  • Save the rocket.

It's actually written in the parts description :wink: press n to resize the interstage adapter.

Hmmm that is a weird implementation. So you basically have to guess to make it streamlined with the rest of the craft. Now this works actually fine (so I need to develop it) if I deactivate auto-struts otherwise the fairing are still attached to both parts. Is that the intended behaviour or did I miss anything?

itc8mlj.jpg

And I found the explanation in the right click menu. I thought you meant the manufacturer's description.

In this order:

• Load your rocket in the VAB
  • Click the Action Group Editor button.
  • Select the docking port.
  • Now, on the left side side of the screen is the Action Group Editor itself.
  • Select an Action Group to assign to. (pick one of the ones that says 'Custom1'... 'Custom2'... etc)
  • On the right side of the Action Group Editor is a list of actions available to that part. Click the one that says Decouple. (or 'Decouple Node' maybe)
  • Save the rocket.

Although in the AGE there is "Decouple Node" (and Undock Node) nothing happens. I also bound a light to that action group to verify that I was activating that action group.

mSWxVWC.png

Fabian

Edited by xZise

Hmmm that is a weird implementation. So you basically have to guess to make it streamlined with the rest of the craft. Now this works actually fine (so I need to develop it) if I deactivate auto-struts otherwise the fairing are still attached to both parts. Is that the intended behaviour or did I miss anything?

Fabian

Nope, the top part is actually attached onto the fairing base instead of the fairing. The fairing is also attached onto the base. If you disable the auto-struts, there won't be an additional joint between the fairing and the top part. But since the top part is still connected to the base, it will still float there.

Nope, the top part is actually attached onto the fairing base instead of the fairing. The fairing is also attached onto the base. If you disable the auto-struts, there won't be an additional joint between the fairing and the top part. But since the top part is still connected to the base, it will still float there.

I love that feature :) I can now have interstage adapter which are as long as I need them to be. The KW Rocketry one's are usually way tooo long.

Fabian

I love that feature :) I can now have interstage adapter which are as long as I need them to be. The KW Rocketry one's are usually way tooo long.

Fabian

I do too.

Right now I'm trying a change for the fuselage so that a toggle will be provided to decide whether the joints connecting the top part and the fuselage should be destroyed once the interstage adapter has activated its own decoupler.

So you are having basically two decouplers there? One to disconnect with the stage beneath, and another to disconnect with the stage above, interesting. This might save some mass because you don't have to carry the ullage motors with you.

Fabian

So you are having basically two decouplers there? One to disconnect with the stage beneath, and another to disconnect with the stage above, interesting. This might save some mass because you don't have to carry the ullage motors with you.

Fabian

Correct. Two sets of procedural adapter + fuselages (with CutJoint option toggled On) First one for stage separation, second one for disposing the interstage (which serves as a one-time ullage motor). And the second one has hollow collider which allows the engine to propel the rocket normally. Mainly intending to simulate real rocket design (at least to some degree)...

It also has a "three-adapter" variant which I am going to test to see if it works.

What do you mean with "fuselages". Simply the fairing of PF or another mod, because I'm wondering what do you mean with CutJoint. The auto-struts option? And I would like to see it in it's finished state.

Fabian

What do you mean with "fuselages". Simply the fairing of PF or another mod, because I'm wondering what do you mean with CutJoint. The auto-struts option? And I would like to see it in it's finished state.

Fabian

PF mod provides two types of sides: fairing (that has built-in decoupler) and fuselage.

When you attach a part onto the adapter's floating node and install some fuselages to the adapter, the adapter will create struts connecting from fuselages to the upper part if autoStruts is on, but these joints won't be removed when the adpater's decoupler is activated, and will result to failure of separation. (though the rocket does turn into two vessels but they cannot be separated unless you use some trick like timewarp for a long time so that they are far-away enough to disable the joint)

Yes you might be able to solve this by disabling the autoStruts option, but I do want these struts when everything is still in a piece. hence I add that CutJoint option.

[...]When you attach a part onto the adapter's floating node and install some fuselages to the adapter, the adapter will create struts connecting from fuselages to the upper part if autoStruts is on, but these joints won't be removed when the adpater's decoupler is activated, and will result to failure of separation. (though the rocket does turn into two vessels but they cannot be separated unless you use some trick like timewarp for a long time so that they are far-away enough to disable the joint)

Yes you might be able to solve this by disabling the autoStruts option, but I do want these struts when everything is still in a piece. hence I add that CutJoint option.

Yeah I had problem with it. Currently (without a second decoupler on top) you need to deactivate auto-struts so both will separate. But because you add an additional decoupler to separate the interstage adapter from the rest, that isn't a problem anymore.

Fabian

I`ve been waiting for a proper interstage that drops the lower stage and activates ullage and then stays fixed allowing the engines above to fire then to be dropped after a little while.

I did mention it to E-dog but I`m not sure it`s going anywhere.

Although one problem with this would be restartability. Currently I place three ullage motors with 2 way symmetry to restart the engine up to 3 times. So if you ditch them with the fairing you need to hold onto it until the third restart. Or I place one pair on the fairing and two on the main craft. What would be the most "realistic"?

Fabian