[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Hey all! I've been having this bug with Procedural Fairings lately...

I carry out a lot of routine launches, so I often outsource the tedious work to MechJeb (running v2.1.1), but I ran into this problem recently, where MechJeb would stage (i.e. jettison) my payload fairing walls and decouple the built-in decoupler in the payload fairing base. To see exactly what I mean,

. Basically MechJeb will jettison/decouple all Procedural Fairings parts at some point during launch. In the video, I used a rocket with this staging:

• 0: Fairing walls (had them set up to jettison on Custom01, so I wanted to keep them out of reach of staging)
  • 1: Fairing base
  • 2: Orbital injection stage, main launch stage separation
  • 3: Main launch stage, 4x SRB separation
  • 4: Initial 4x SRB stage, to get us off the ground

Moments after decoupling stage 3 and activating the orbital injection engine, the fairing walls would pop off and the decoupler would decouple, thus leaving me with a freely floating payload post-injection burn and a new stage 0 consisting of the engine and the already-activated decoupler.

I have never seen MechJeb interfere this way with any other parts, so it seems (AFAIK) to be MechJeb and Procedural Fairings somehow clashing.

Does anyone know of a fix? If you do, I beg you to post it here. I'm on the verge of desperation, as FAR dislikes my rockets unless I use fairings, and I can't use them under the current circumstances :(

Cheers, :D

- ThomsenX

What you're having is MechJeb's autostaging causing issues. If there's no engines or anything, it'll continue staging until there's nothing. You can set the stage limit for MechJeb somewhere in the options so it stops at a certain one.

I know of that option. Problem is, there is an engine on stage 2, which it correctly activates and uses, but it continues staging past this during the burn (where it shouldn't autostage). Apart from using Stop at stage #, is there a fix for this?

I'll probably cross-post to the MechJeb thread, but any assistance here is much appreciated.

Edited by ThomsenX

Stop at 3?

Btw neat part in http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55985-0-23-16-Feb-Space-Shuttle-Engines-V1-2-New-SSME-and-better-FAR-compatibility?highlight=Klockheed that lets you stage/use action group when you rise/drop past a certain altitude in meters/kms, I like purging my fairings at 60km and deploying solar panels.

Edited by K3|Chris

What I'm trying to find out is why MechJeb stages past the active stage (i.e. stage 2). The Stop at stage function should, in theory, not be relevant to my situation as long as there's an active engine on the current stage - which there is...

EDIT: Ah yes, Smart Parts are great - using them for timed parachutes when dropping reusable boosters occasionally. Now if only I could voluntarily jettison my fairings, only then would I think of using such luxuries :D

Edited by ThomsenX

Well if a higher stage has some radial boosters or something that themselves had a decoupler down to a lower stage etc then firing them as well makes sense, again look at that link I posted, that part is nice for purging fairings when you want them to be.

MJ auto-stages unless the part it's removing has fuel in it.

In stock aerodynamics, where the most likely thing you would be staging off the side of a running engine is a drop tank, MJ's behavior is probably right for more builds than it's wrong for.

I love this mod! thanks for giving this beauty to the community :D

With that noted, The faring base is bulky, and while it does fit well in some situations, it would be handy to have smaller minimalist faring bases as well.

I love this mod! thanks for giving this beauty to the community :D

With that noted, The faring base is bulky, and while it does fit well in some situations, it would be handy to have smaller minimalist faring bases as well.

Where would you use it for?

I ran into some interesting issues when trying this mod out after downloading it from the Spaceport.

1) Trying out the interstage fairing adaptor without having any fairings on it. I now have a hovering nose cone that a mainsail can't move. EDIT: To clarify, said nosecone was set above the rest of the rocket and wasn't connected using anything other than the apparently magical top node on said adaptor.

f75IVAI.png

2) I also found out that, using the same adaptor, using either of the side fairings (nonejectable parts) that when any real stress is applied (the test vehicle was a command module, small fuel tank, and a mainsail at full power) that they fall apart very easily. I'm not sure if this is by design, but I thought I would share that with you.

I second that!

Ditto. Especially since KSP has a bug that messes up multi-part action groups if you remove the parts in the VAB and put then back again (in this case, only the one fairing will jettison and you need to do the rest manually)

Wasn't the interstage adapter enough?

On the topic of the interstage adapter, most interstages that I am aware of separate in a single ring, instead of four parts like a fairing.

1024px-Apollo6Interstage.jpg

Is it possible that this may become a thing we could have for procedural fairings?

Currently to get an accurate interstage I have to make one from I-beams so it will separate as a ring...

There are fuselage fairings that can't be decoupled, right? I'm sorry if I seem to counter your ideas, please let me understand it guys. I'm interested with your problems :)

I`m wanting a ring that can be decoupled as a ring to use as an interstage.

Currently I have to put an interstage adapter above some engines (which is fine) then stage to keep the fairing around the engines during flight (also great so far) then when the fairing is ejected it splits into four parts and acts like a fairing instead of an interstage (which should have ullage motors and instrumentation on it and separate as a single part)

To get a ring that can be used as an interstage and be ejected as a ring I have had to use I-beams which is less than ideal.