Do you think .21 will decrease game performance?

cloudx

By performance I mostly mean FPS and lag. I'm managing about 40 - 50 frames per second on Kerbin with .20 right now, I'm just wondering if you think the new terrain and KSC buildings will affect the way the game runs.

Nope, I think it'll increase performance. Modeling for video games is a unique process. You need to refine it over and over again just enough that it doesn't have loads of polygons, but still looks good. The old VAB/SPH models were placeholders, so I doubt they were refined in any way. In fact, it used to be a lot worse, the VAB used to be so laggy that by today's standards, it was unplayable. It took until version 0.16 (I believe) where the VAB would stop lagging horribly on my machine. I'm looking forward to this update.

• 4 weeks later...

0.21 is certainly a increase in delays between scenes, and when loading the Mun.

As to general lag, etc, I think the reviews have been mixed.

Its probably not a popular thing to say, but unless you are unhappy on 0.20 I would stay there.

I've noticed a reversal on my kind of crappy laptop - before .21, the gameplay was laggy but the loading screens were fine, and now it's the opposite. Loading screens are killing me.

Also, is anyone else getting bad lag spikes when doing SOI changes?

I find the handling of transform effects (solar panels, landing gear, cargo bays) and lighting effects (many lights overlapping, even with the setting for that turned down to 2) are horribly lag inducing by comparison with .20. I also note that the part count it takes to bog the game down is much lower.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.