How To Orbit Guide?

For Kerbin, start your gravity turn around ten kilometers, putting your ship on heading 090 at 45 degrees. Follow the prograde marker once it gets down that same way.

Make sure your craft has got at least 4500 m/s of delta-V available and a thrust-to-weight ratio greater than 1 (1.6-1.7 at launch is considered optimal).

Then it's just watch the map to see when your apoapsis is at it's desired altitude, shut off the engines, coast until you get close to the apoapsis, and fire up the engines until your periapsis is where you want it (or at least above the atmosphere at 70 kilometers).

I won't bother with parameters for other worlds right now...once you figured out how to orbit Kerbin you can orbit any other body in the Kerbol system.

My 5-mainsail orbit guide (using asparagus staging).

1. Engage ASAS. Engage all 5 engines and release docking clamps, throttle at one half.

• Release first two engines when fuel runs out.

• At 5000m, reduce throttle to one quarter.

• At 10000m, adjust inclination to 10-15degrees, heading 090 degrees.

• At 20000m, adjust inclination to 50 degrees, heading 090 degrees. Detach second two engines when fuel runs out (should be about the same time).

• At 50,000m, adjust inclination to about 80 degrees. As soon as you leave the upper atmosphere, burn direct prograde until the final mainsail runs out. You should be in orbit (may need a tiny bit of fuel from your next stage to circularise.

Sorry about the 1's, my list failed.

My 5-mainsail orbit guide (using asparagus staging).

1. Engage ASAS. Engage all 5 engines and release docking clamps, throttle at one half.

• Release first two engines when fuel runs out.

• At 5000m, reduce throttle to one quarter.

• At 10000m, adjust inclination to 10-15degrees, heading 090 degrees.

• At 20000m, adjust inclination to 50 degrees, heading 090 degrees. Detach second two engines when fuel runs out (should be about the same time).

• At 50,000m, adjust inclination to about 80 degrees. As soon as you leave the upper atmosphere, burn direct prograde until the final mainsail runs out. You should be in orbit (may need a tiny bit of fuel from your next stage to circularise.

Sorry about the 1's, my list failed.

5 Mainsail engines is a bit OTT for getting a 1 man capsule into orbit isn't it. My point is, without knowing what the OP is trying to put in to orbit you can only give him generic tips. Your guide works for your payload, but may be totally irrelevant to the OP.

Sorry, I should have explained. I use 5 mainsails for getting any nuclear engine based craft into orbit. My generic craft for anything between Eve and Jool consists of a X3-200 fuel tank with a nuclear engine on it. The 5 mainsail setup works well for getting this into orbit.

I'm using a 7-mainsail design with a lot of fuel on board, for munar landings.

It's a mite overkill for getting small ships around, though. My probe to Minimus missed, and ended up around Duna.

Asparaggus staging isn't necessary, though. I feel it's unrealistic and overcomplex, so I just use onion staging; ditching boosters and their fuel tanks on the way up, in shells instead of individually.

Asparaggus staging isn't necessary, though. I feel it's unrealistic and overcomplex, so I just use onion staging; ditching boosters and their fuel tanks on the way up, in shells instead of individually.

Onion staging works well if all you're doing is sticking around Kerbin (including Mun and Minus in that) and you've got a light payload. Heavier stuff, I'd recommend the asparagus. Actually, I'd recommend Temstar's Zenith boosters.... Here's a design guide on asparagus, if anyone's remotely interested.

A one man pod with a chute and RCS for de-orbiting weighs as little as 1.35 tonnes. Five Mainsails for that is overkill...you could lift that with two FL-T800s, one FL-T400 and an Aerospike. You'd need winglets for control of course...

Need Height of Gravity turns and also exact thrust and fuel Efficient

Please May this post help other people and me learn how to get to orbit :):huh:

Efficient height of gravity turn depends on your vehicle's TWR. For high TWR, start turning low ~5km. For low TWR (i.e. 1.1 or 1.2), I use 10km or even 12km. Most efficient thrust is maximum up to escape velocity, which is 100 m/s at Kerbin's surface and about 270 m/s at 5km. Your most efficient TWR is 2, which will maintain a near escape velocity for the whole ascent, but since fuel is used up as you ascend, which increases your TWR, you either have to start below 2 or cut your throttle as you go up.

Asparagus staging is always ideal for ascent, as there's no wasted potential from carrying heavy engines that you're not currently using.

Check out my tutorial in my signature, the one on rocket building and launching. It will cover pretty much everything you need to know.

I'm using a 7-mainsail design with a lot of fuel on board, for munar landings.

It's a mite overkill for getting small ships around, though. My probe to Minimus missed, and ended up around Duna.

Wow. Talk about over engineering your rockets man. I generally quad my engines rather then use the mainsail, and combine that with asparagus staging instead. Most rockets weigh in at the 150-180 ton range, are just about as efficient, and generally good enough for launching 40-60 ton payloads to the Mun.

Lately however I've been focusing on smaller launch vehicles, and building a orbital industry of sorts that allows you to re-fuel a tug in a 80 km orbit at a space station, pick up cargo from the same orbit, and then deliver that cargo be it a lander, or components of a base to the Mun or elsewhere. While slightly more time consuming the amount of delta-v saved is actually quite impressive.

Wow. Talk about over engineering your rockets man. I generally quad my engines rather then use the mainsail, and combine that with asparagus staging instead. Most rockets weigh in at the 150-180 ton range, are just about as efficient, and generally good enough for launching 40-60 ton payloads to the Mun.

Lately however I've been focusing on smaller launch vehicles, and building a orbital industry of sorts that allows you to re-fuel a tug in a 80 km orbit at a space station, pick up cargo from the same orbit, and then deliver that cargo be it a lander, or components of a base to the Mun or elsewhere. While slightly more time consuming the amount of delta-v saved is actually quite impressive.

I've only been at this a while, and efficient launches are not happening for me yet. 'moar fuel' and 'moar boosters' have gotten me to a stage that works good enough, but I need to refine my designs.

• 1 year later...
For Kerbin, start your gravity turn around ten kilometers, putting your ship on heading 090 at 45 degrees. Follow the prograde marker once it gets down that same way.

Make sure your craft has got at least 4500 m/s of delta-V available and a thrust-to-weight ratio greater than 1 (1.6-1.7 at launch is considered optimal).

I find I have to be closer to 2.2 to be able to reach the optimal speeds listed in the basic tutorial?

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Basic_maneuvers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.