New Player Any Tips

DrGonzo

Hello All!

So, I just bought the game on Steam and it's currently downloading. I cannot wait to get home after work and play. Any tips on where to begin? Maybe just the top three things I should do first as a new player.

Thanks!

Gonzo

1. Build something that doesn't disassemble immediately

2. Build a rocket that leaves the atmosphere

3. Build a rocket that reaches a stable circular orbit without inclination

once you've figured out how to do that, try to reach the Mun or Minmus (you will need a bigger rocket for that)

Indeed, usually, the best to do is to first try to build something that can fly, doesn't matter if it goes nowhere. As long as it goes up, you've done a good first step. Then the first milestone you want to reach is reaching a stable orbit. The atmosphere ends at an altitude of 70km, so you want your periapsis (the lowest point of your orbit) above 70km. Then, once you have done that, reaching and landing on the Mun or Minmus. Minmus is a bit harder to get an encounter with because of it's inclination, but once you're there, it's much much easier to land. A rocket going to Minmus needs less delta V than for the Mun. It's up to you.

One tip though: don't overengineer. You would be surprised how much small rockets can go far. Overbuilding just gives you more trouble to control.

You might want to do the first tutorials, it helps with game related terms and it will also help recognizing the different elements of the UI.

Welcome aboard! :)

My first self set mission was 'Get to the Mun and back'...once I'd spent a few hours with the game it soon shifted to 'Get something to go up in a straight line without exploding'.

Definitely recommend the latter as a first step.

Good luck with the rest of your life though, KSP is amazingly addictive, and amazingly fun and amazingly interesting and amazing.

Youtube is invaluable, especially Scott Manley's stuff. (Is that his real name btw? I do hope so)

Good luck.

Start off simple, just like a real space program.

Build something that can take off.

Work on suborbital flights complete with parachute landings.

Work on flights that go higher, eventually working up to full orbital flights.

Do the tutorials. Keep doing them if you have trouble.

Learn to use the maneuver nodes to setup things like changing your orbit, making your orbit circular, adjusting inclination, etc.

All of these things are the basics you'll need to learn before you move on to Mun landings and beyond.

One tip though: don't overengineer. You would be surprised how much small rockets can go far. Overbuilding just gives you more trouble to control.

Welcome aboard! :)

actually i overengineered a lot in the beginning. It teaches you a lot about controlling and keeping stable a gigantic rocket. plus it's cool when it explodes.

Yes, DO THE TUTORIALS! So much terminology, and learning how to work your orbits properly. I recommend watching Youtube tutorials as well. Also things you'll want to look up are "onion' and "asparagus" staging to help get your (undoubtedly huge) rockets into orbit. When I started I kept trying to get too large of a payload into space, and I just kept cutting it back until it was pretty much just a rocket in space with no useful bits on it.

Thanks a lot everybody! This has all been a great help. The community seems very friendly.

I've achieved my first stable orbit. It isn't a circle at all though. It goes flying out almost to the moons orbital path before coming back in and around very close to home planet.

Thanks a lot everybody! This has all been a great help. The community seems very friendly.

I've achieved my first stable orbit. It isn't a circle at all though. It goes flying out almost to the moons orbital path before coming back in and around very close to home planet.

Most of the time I see this, it's because you weren't aggressive enough with your gravity turn, or you continued to burn after your apoapsis reached the desired height.

Don't set your sights on anything like a Mun landing until orbital mechanics are really solid. I feel the main problem with beginners is that many newbies think a Mun landing will be easy straight away. Really nail understanding asparagus staging usage within the atmosphere and node values of target positions. Once I understood these two fundamentals I could really nail Mun landings and going further right to worlds such as Laythe.

Eventually a user could consider using equations and Delta V maps to plan manned missions to interplanetary worlds. This is far easier than "winging it" or attempting missions by the trial and error method.

For tutorials on the basics of Kerbal Space Program, I would recommend visiting Scott Manley's YouTube channel.

Here's my three step process.

1. Try to build and launch something.

2. Fail.

3. Proceed to step one.

You will fail. There is no avoiding that. It will take a while to succeed. I should know considering I still have yet to successfully achieve orbit. Regardless of that, just keep trying until you succeed. Do not give up, no matter how hard it is.

Edited by Kevin W.

When I started I kept trying to get too large of a payload into space, and I just kept cutting it back until it was pretty much just a rocket in space with no useful bits on it.

^^This

Until you learn how to control, and move around within, an orbit, there is no use trying to get 100ton payloads into space. You can throw one of the stock 'Z-Map' Sats on the top for a little extra 'cool factor' because they don't weight much at all. But the main thing is focusing on using a small, easy to control craft. This way you can focus on learning how to control your maneuvers instead of constantly fighting with an unwieldy rocket.

I'd like to echo: do the tutorials, but add that the stock scenarios are really good too for practicing specific skills: spacewalk, rendezvous, landing, etc.

And if you get frustrated with rocket building (and you will) and you just want to fly something, don't hesitate to look at the Spacecraft Exchange forum, download something, and try flying that. I spent 80% of the first 80 hours playing the game in the VAB. I got some good designs out of it, but I was getting pretty bored. My enjoyment of the game increased 2-3-fold when I mostly stopped building rockets myself and started flying the great stuff other folks are building.