Noble gases again...

JMBuilder

If you were to remove one of Xenon's electrons, could it form a bond with something from the sodium family (maintained in a vac chamber)? If so, would bombarding it with electrons split the bond?

The explosive compound Xenon Tetroxide is created through several reaction steps. However, is it possible that applying high levels of energy or pressure to Xenon and Oxygen could fuse them into Xenon Tetroxide?

1. If you heavily compressed ionized Xenon with ionized Helium, would they form an unstable bond? And again, would it explode when re-stabilized?

2. Is there any way to prevent Hydrogen from bonding with itself?

3. What would happen if you jumbled up ionized Xenon, ionized Hydrogen, and ionized Oxygen and heavily compressed them?

Basically, it's a fusion-fission reactor/engine, capable of splitting a compound and fusing it back together to create energy without wasting any resources. The reason I was keeping it so obscured was because I was worried someone would invent it before I could (x_x) but I think I need all the help I can get.

Edited by JMBuilder

It seems that noble gas is the only way to possibly achieve that. An unstable compound would explode, creating more energy than what you started with. Fusing it back together would require a lot of energy, but hopefully the output would be greater.

Energy can't be created or destroyed.

Well, you can turn it into mass or derive it from mass. But there is conservation of mass-energy.

So would it need to bond with something like Hydrogen?

Yes, exactly. Put hydrogen and oxygen together, add a bit of energy (such as a spark), and you get a chemical reaction in which the two bond to form water. That's burning.

OH! I just had a brilliant idea!! On atmospheric craft, why not replace jets with special systems that would ionize the air itself and blast it out using magnets? It would cut down on petroleum fuel consumption by a significant margin!

Petroleum is just a source of energy. How much energy do you think is it going to take to turn air into plasma and move it with magnets compared to moving the same amount of air using a turbine?

Does Xenon need a continuous supply of energy to be ionized?

Practically speaking, yes. It takes energy to remove electrons and then it takes energy to contain the Xenon ions so that they don't go ripping electrons off of anything else.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.