Leaning rockets?

Hello.

Many of you may remember this post from the 0.12x pages.

But, one part of my problem was not solved.

Here goes.

I make a very simple, 2-stage, solid-liquid rocket.

However, as soon as I launch, my rocket leans eastward, and crashes into the Kerbanic Ocean. >:(

Any help? ???

Thanks 8)

Rotate rocket 90 degrees so its facing east, add ASAS.

It leans due to momentum imparted on it by the rotating planet.

2 things.

1. I have ASAS and ASAS installed, and this seemed to solve it.

2. Earth doesn\'t do that, though. If I jump on a coin, I\'ll land on that coin, yes?

How fast does Kerbin spin?

Thanks everyone.

You\'re not moving as far or as quickly as a rocket. And you\'ll still land on the coin because you\'re being moved at the same speed the coin is. While lateral force is imparted onto the rocket, as the rocket travels against the force (i.e. straight up), it can\'t overcome all of it. Which is why you don\'t see the KSC a quarter revolution away by the time you get to 20000 meters. You can only overcome so much force, and the rest still affects the rocket.

I\'ll just say that artillery range tables include correction factors for Coriolis effect based on range and azimuth to the target. In my research into one of my other passions (battleships and battleship gunnery), I\'ve seen the official US Navy range tables for the main guns of the Iowa-class battleships, and at their maximum range of roughly 40,000 yards range, Coriolis effect can alter the range by up to 162 yards (depending on target bearing and latitude), and see lateral deflection of up to 227 yards. Range alteration is maximized by low latitude and a target close to due east/west in bearing; deflection is maximized by high latitude and north/south bearing.

Muzzle velocity on them was 2700 feet per second (823 m/s), so you can see that there would be significant effects on your flight, even with Kerbin\'s slower linear speed of rotation at the surface. (Data from http://www.eugeneleeslover.com/USN-GUNS-AND-RANGE-TABLES/OP-1100-2.html; there\'s links to other range table stuff from that page, if you want to see more such technical data on an esoteric subject...)