[WIP] KerbTown v0.13 Beta - Place static buildings, cities, launch sites & more!

Razchek

My dev instance of KSP is the default resolution, I don't play in it and the screenshots end up more forum friendly, I play at 1900x1030 which fills most of one of my three screens.

My dev instance of KSP is the default resolution, I don't play in it and the screenshots end up more forum friendly, I play at 1900x1030 which fills most of one of my three screens.

Oh well, either way you've pointed out that lower resolutions make my GUI placement silly. So thank you. :D

Yeah, I think I just passed the ballmer peak haha.

BTW Razcheck, if nobody's invited you yet and you don't stop by already (I don't recall seeing you), you should come by the IRC some times, we get into all sorts of fun hyjinx, I spend most of the time spouting random nonsense and complaining about MODEL{scale} but a ton of actually smart people are there too.

IRC://IRC.Esper.net/#KSPModders

(assuming I screwed up that link, I hope you can figure out where to go)

BTW Razcheck, if nobody's invited you yet and you don't stop by already (I don't recall seeing you), you should come by the IRC some times, we get into all sorts of fun hyjinx, I spend most of the time spouting random nonsense and complaining about MODEL{scale} but a ton of actually smart people are there too.

IRC://IRC.Esper.net/#KSPModders

(assuming I screwed up that link, I hope you can figure out where to go)

Be warned, though, that KSPModders can very easily distract you from actual coding - I try to keep off it while working.

Unless your a pro at Unity I would suggest modeling with Blender. Due to the way SketchUp exports models once it is imported into Unity it will be super high-poly, even for a just a cube. If your really REALLY good at using Unity its not an issue. Otherwise your better off using a program that has more compatible export formats.

Blender is free, made for 3D modeling (sketchup was made more towards engineering and blueprints), and there are just as much(if not more) tutorials online for Blender.

Blender is a LOT more complicated than sketchup I do not even know where to start.

edit. just read back a few pages. looks like this has been suggested already. thanks again for the work!

just ran into this thread! I love the possibilities of this mod! As one who just plays the game (no modding experience whatsoever), I'd like to make a suggestion though I'm not sure if this is the right place for it or have the right qualifications to make such a suggestion.

Would it be possible to create a part that spawns the object in the game provided x amount of rocket/construction parts and a vehicle with some a constructing part (I'm thinking along the lines of extraplanetary launch pads) near the spawn site? I think this be a way of seamlessly integrating kerbtown features into the game while keeping immersion.

edit. just read back a few pages. looks like this has been suggested already. thanks again for the work!

just ran into this thread! I love the possibilities of this mod! As one who just plays the game (no modding experience whatsoever), I'd like to make a suggestion though I'm not sure if this is the right place for it or have the right qualifications to make such a suggestion.

Would it be possible to create a part that spawns the object in the game provided x amount of rocket/construction parts and a vehicle with some a constructing part (I'm thinking along the lines of extraplanetary launch pads) near the spawn site? I think this be a way of seamlessly integrating kerbtown features into the game while keeping immersion.

You don't use parts from a tank and have to have fuel on hand when you launch from KSC, think of this the same =P

So far what you ask is not possible, these are not 'parts', they don't follow the same physics rules, they don't use part modules.

I think Raz is trying to make it so resource storage is possible, but right now it just don't work like that.

Blender is a LOT more complicated than sketchup I do not even know where to start.

?? really? you couldn't figure it out from a few youtube videos? I find sketchup painful to use and useless for importing models into KSP as they need serious work before that happens.

I remember seeing this a while back.

Just now checking on it... I see all this stuff.

Mind = Blown

And you can make animations on these buildings?

This is so AWESOME!!!!11!! :D

Anyways, something I would like to see is where someone makes a model where it fills in a entire crater on the Mun and was camouflaged to look like the surface, but it turns out that it has a massive cave system underneath it.

But I'm just thinking out loud, I'm off to finally learn Unity and mess with this mod.

I remember seeing this a while back.

Just now checking on it... I see all this stuff.

Mind = Blown

And you can make animations on these buildings?

This is so AWESOME!!!!11!! :D

Anyways, something I would like to see is where someone makes a model where it fills in a entire crater on the Mun and was camouflaged to look like the surface, but it turns out that it has a massive cave system underneath it.

But I'm just thinking out loud, I'm off to finally learn Unity and mess with this mod.

Is that crater deep enough to house a cave system? I must say, a very good idea if room permits.

You are describing this mod:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/35217-0-21-1-Extraplanetary-Launchpads-v2-1-patch-0-21-support-Debris-Recycling

Version 0.10.0 Beta Released

- Added the floating launch grounds to the Beta Tester Content pack (yielding).
- Changed default visibility setting to 100,000 meters.
- Changed GUI "Write current session to Configs." to "Save Session".
- Fixed a bug that caused the button drawn in the editor to overlay other buttons.

I will be implementing persistent settings into 0.10.1 or 0.10.2 most likely because there are a few more things I want to add in.

Future-proofing more than anything.

Anyway I hope you all enjoy the test content.

Please keep reporting bugs so I can get them fixed.

- Raz.

Ctrl-K, Show Existing, select the one you don't want, at the bottom is a delete button, then save, return to space center, and reload

I experienced a thing just now where a kerbal fell from a small lander can down to the surface of my runway, and then:

fIZ683L.png

This has never happened before, and I'm doing a lot of fiddlery trying to work out some collider bugs with my runway. Hopefully it'll soon be in a state for me to hand out without being ashamed.

Ctrl-K, Show Existing, select the one you don't want, at the bottom is a delete button, then save, return to space center, and reload

I experienced a thing just now where a kerbal fell from a small lander can down to the surface of my runway, and then:

This has never happened before, and I'm doing a lot of fiddlery trying to work out some collider bugs with my runway. Hopefully it'll soon be in a state for me to hand out without being ashamed.

How are you setting your colliders up? Static does not follow same rules as part do FYI.

http://i.imgur.com/fIZ683L.png

Is your runway animated at all (any moving parts)?

If the runway surface mesh is seperated and is just a plane, don't use convex mesh colliders on it.

If there are still issues, throw me a private message - I can probably help figure out what the problem is. :) (it could be KerbTown?)

Edited by Razchek