All craft from my Constellation mission vid

Just to know, is any of the mods that this uses going to change my whole saved game, like the Remotetech that makes satellites nonfunctional without the antenna unlike other mods like quantum struts, kethane, Mechjeb, etc. that if a craft does not have the mods parts it is still functional. If so can you make a bundle that does not need those kinds of mods in the game (that make stock craft nonfunctional).

Just to know, is any of the mods that this uses going to change my whole saved game, like the Remotetech that makes satellites nonfunctional without the antenna unlike other mods like quantum struts, kethane, Mechjeb, etc. that if a craft does not have the mods parts it is still functional. If so can you make a bundle that does not need those kinds of mods in the game (that make stock craft nonfunctional).

I'm pretty sure that it won't interfere with your existing save, but I'd take a copy of your entire game (parts and all) before loading these parts in, just incase. There is a bolt on for remote tech that means all probes need to be in satellite contact, but that is not included in the parts for these craft. If a craft doesn't have any remotetech bits on it, then it won't be affected by the presence of remote tech so your existing satellites should be fine. None of the other parts will get in the way of anything else so it should be fine, but I still recommend doing a backup of everything first just incase.

I'm pretty sure that it won't interfere with your existing save, but I'd take a copy of your entire game (parts and all) before loading these parts in, just incase. There is a bolt on for remote tech that means all probes need to be in satellite contact, but that is not included in the parts for these craft. If a craft doesn't have any remotetech bits on it, then it won't be affected by the presence of remote tech so your existing satellites should be fine. None of the other parts will get in the way of anything else so it should be fine, but I still recommend doing a backup of everything first just incase.

Ok I'll make a backup. Thanks for the help.

ok this may seem a rather unlikely question to ask but what laser did you use for the command chair attachment on your rover because is it custom or did you download a new texture for the sunbeam lazor or what because i have been looking for a laser like that for a while

Would you ever consider doing this using the deadly reentry and ION cross life support ? To make it ultra realistic/hard?

yes, but currently I already have too many mods and need to thin them out before adding yet more craziness!

Question: Why not use Bobcat's American Spacecraft Pack so you have actual Orion and Altair Spacecraft? It Would also give you the Ares V.

The boosters are from BobCat's American pack. I did a test with Orion from that pack too, the 6 man pod was very nice, very tempting to use it for simplicity, but I don't like the just clicking a couple parts together and having a full craft, for me KSP is all about building things from general purpose parts. It did also do some weird things and on a couple tests ASAS would make it shake till it ripped apart after undocking.

Where is the cupola on the HAB module from? I have most of these packs and I've never seen that model before. Like the stock cupola but with a heavier ring around the base to mount radial attachments to.

It's from a older version of KSPX, before KSPX got incorporated into stock parts. The new cupola is only a single man pod and I just rather liked the 3 man, plus I'd already built it for that one so I kept using the older one.

ok this may seem a rather unlikely question to ask but what laser did you use for the command chair attachment on your rover because is it custom or did you download a new texture for the sunbeam lazor or what because i have been looking for a laser like that for a while

Its from the Pandora rover mod (which uses the sunbeam plugin), but it's an old version from before 0.20. It should be white, but as with a lot of legacy parts the texture got messed up, but I rather liked it in gun metal grey so I didn't update it, its the only part I use from that pack anyway.

Here is the link to the current version - http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/dsl-pandora-rover/

Huge fan of your grand tour video (continue it dammit!). When I saw this get posted I really didn't think it was gonna be THIS epic.

In your video... around 6:05 - 6:30... that perfect hover. Honestly I was amazed it hovered that well. I realize it was using MJ to keep heading/pitch but damn lol, I can't get any VTOL to hover that perfectly. Any suggestions?

I'm trying to build a kethane mining lander with a 1-3 person rover capable of taking off and being fully reusable. Your cargo module got me thinking of perhaps putting the rover and kethane rig in-line with the lander horizontally rather than tacked on the bottom like 99% of the landers I do. But, again, I think there's gonna be massive balance issues, so suggestions there if you have them would be cool.

Anyway, amazing video - quality is even better than your grand tour, perfect music as always, although... nothing beats that Gilly launch in the tour video :D

Keep making videos for KSP!

I just want to say that your little Utility rover is the coolest thing ever, especially with the mountain climbing attachment!

Just built my own copy of it in 0.21, and Jeb is currently trying to drive it up the side of the Space Plane Hanger. It works until you hit an overhang...

I just want to say that your little Utility rover is the coolest thing ever, especially with the mountain climbing attachment!

Just built my own copy of it in 0.21, and Jeb is currently trying to drive it up the side of the Space Plane Hanger. It works until you hit an overhang...

I've been trying to build a version of that rover that can redock with a large lander and take off again.

Apparently the arm is a little too lightly built to actually hold it together lol, sorta spaghetti's around like nuts.

The hinges also do some weird shenanigans when you try to make the rover a part of the lander again.

Also found that rover to be a bit tippy. He doesn't go very fast in any of the vid scenes, and I'm thinking parhaps the original is tippy too :D

Hey I have trouble when I load Kopernicus craft and cargo. I install mod on clear KSP .20.2 and try on .21-1, and always the same problems. I cant edit craft and proced to fly. Additionally gui on left disappear. You can see on the screenshot. What am I doing wrong, please help me find the problem.

Screen:

5m2q.png

Other crafts works

Any chance we could get a version without RemoteTech? It's not that I don't like the mod, it's just that it's never worked properly for me. No matter what I do, all satellites can point directly to KSC, even going through planets. The range also doesn't seem to matter, I can put a 5Mm antenna on it, send it to Jool, and it still gets signal from KSC. Also I have to hack everything with a RemoteTech satellite into space because during launch the game randomly moves my crafts to different locations.

Not asking for help, just wondering if we could get a version without RemoteTech. I'd love to use this, but I can't because of bugs.

Huge fan of your grand tour video (continue it dammit!). When I saw this get posted I really didn't think it was gonna be THIS epic.

In your video... around 6:05 - 6:30... that perfect hover. Honestly I was amazed it hovered that well. I realize it was using MJ to keep heading/pitch but damn lol, I can't get any VTOL to hover that perfectly. Any suggestions?

I'm trying to build a kethane mining lander with a 1-3 person rover capable of taking off and being fully reusable. Your cargo module got me thinking of perhaps putting the rover and kethane rig in-line with the lander horizontally rather than tacked on the bottom like 99% of the landers I do. But, again, I think there's gonna be massive balance issues, so suggestions there if you have them would be cool.

Anyway, amazing video - quality is even better than your grand tour, perfect music as always, although... nothing beats that Gilly launch in the tour video :D

Keep making videos for KSP!

Thanks man. yeah I'm sorry about the grand tour vids, I just kept getting side tracked by other KSP things (and RL) and tbh I got a bit fed up with making that one and it became more of a chore than fun. I really wanted to complete it, I just think its past its sell-by-date now. Still have nearly a TB of footage from it that I either need to do something with or delete

re the hovering, as you say, having different modules horizontally is horrific for balance. I got the different modules on the lander in the way I wanted them first and then looked at sorting the balance, it was terribly balanced to start with, much heavier on the side and end with the rover so it tipped back and left. So I added extra fuel tanks to one side, if you look closely at the lander on the side opposite to the lander there are some extra fuel tanks, stuck over the main ones (you can see them in the vid at the point where the rover is hinged away, grey kw ones). It took quite a few attempts of; move tank left a bit, test, crap, move right, re-test, until I got something that could lift off vertically without SAS or MJ.

Trust Jeb to take a drive up a wall!

I've been trying to build a version of that rover that can redock with a large lander and take off again.

Apparently the arm is a little too lightly built to actually hold it together lol, sorta spaghetti's around like nuts.

The hinges also do some weird shenanigans when you try to make the rover a part of the lander again.

Also found that rover to be a bit tippy. He doesn't go very fast in any of the vid scenes, and I'm thinking parhaps the original is tippy too :D

It is a bit tippy, but I drive in docking more and when driving fast I switch SAS on and off a lot to help keep it level, it also has a lot of torque for its size so it can be corrected as it starts to tip.

These weird shenanigans, is that the hinges stopping to work once docked? Is your docking port directly connected to the hinged arm? Or do you have the KAS unit in between and do the separate steps I did in the vid? That separate step is essential to make having a docking port in a DR hinged arm work, if you dock using a docking port held via hinges without the KAS then the hinges kinda lock up (quicksave+reload fixes them, but parts can become misaligned and it gets messy). Using the KAS allows you to "undock" the section that has the docking port from the actual arm so that it is essentially two separate craft, just taped together with the KAS unit.

Hey I have trouble when I load Kopernicus craft and cargo. I install mod on clear KSP .20.2 and try on .21-1, and always the same problems. I cant edit craft and proced to fly. Additionally gui on left disappear. You can see on the screenshot. What am I doing wrong, please help me find the problem.

Screen:

*picsnip

Other crafts works

That's really odd, I've not seen that ever before. Are you using the parts from the part bundle I provided? It's odd that Kopernicus doesn't work but the others do, they are more complex than Kopernicus. I've not tried 0.21 out at all yet, so I've no idea about what works in that, but it really should work in 0.20 if you have a stock install and then plonk the parts from my parts bundle on top. Did you install the Plugins from the parts bundle, there are some legacy plugins in needs, maybe that's the issue? I know that B0bby and Xzabath have got it working fine on 0.20.

Can you edit Kopernicus in that state. If you can remove parts from it, I'd suggest basically cut it in half, remove the lower section and save and then try and load that. If that still doesn't work rip some more bits off and save and reload and keep doing that till it works. Then you will know which section has the problem part and I might be able to help some more.

Sorry its not working and that I can't give more help atm, I've just not seen that issue ever before.

Any chance we could get a version without RemoteTech? It's not that I don't like the mod, it's just that it's never worked properly for me. No matter what I do, all satellites can point directly to KSC, even going through planets. The range also doesn't seem to matter, I can put a 5Mm antenna on it, send it to Jool, and it still gets signal from KSC. Also I have to hack everything with a RemoteTech satellite into space because during launch the game randomly moves my crafts to different locations.

Not asking for help, just wondering if we could get a version without RemoteTech. I'd love to use this, but I can't because of bugs.

yeah as gracae86 says just remove the .dll from the remotetech mod and then parts will no-longer have remote tech functionality.

I really like the way you did your mission and how perfectly planned it all was. Thanks for sharing that amazing video.

Some results with my own crafts:

The lander doesn't look as good and compact as yours, almost broke on landing, but other than that, it works perfectly fine.

KSP-2013-07-27-20-21-31-74.png

Some side shot

KSP-2013-07-27-20-21-38-01.png

A closer look into the part section

KSP-2013-07-27-20-21-48-05.png

... unfortunately the rover's front hinge didn't work properly so I'll have to refly the whole cargo mission tomorrow. I'll share more pics then. :/

@Neolegends - That's pretty damn decent. I was a fan of the way Katateochi clipped his VTOL engines into one of the tanks to hide them really well, yours sort of stick out a bit more obviously.

In my own testing I can suggest the LF-A30 engines from I believe KW Rocketry. Actually it might be from NovaPunch. In any case it has 285 thrust with a 375/380 ISP in air/vacuum, which is insanely good for the pile of power the engine provides. 4 of those, 2 on each end of a VTOL craft can lift almost anything. Lot better than the 120 thrust 290 ISP crappy radial stock engines you've got there.

I REALLY love the way you used tricouplers. I think I'm gonna have to play with them a bit more in my designs. I know that Katateochi used NovaPunch adapter plates, which are the same thing, except much more compact. The stock couplers look really good though.

I'm still having issues with a reusable rover -> lander docking mechanism. At this point it's just trying to compact it enough to make it fit inside the lander.

@ Katateochi - Yeah I do have the KAS winch with the arm and such, my problem was, if I attempt to reuse the lander docking port to connect the rover back up for liftoff, eventually I have to use the docked mode, and then the DR hinges flip out. I had one attempt on the KSC runway where the hinges glitched so badly upon docking that they tore the lander in two and flung the rover 300m into the air to explode on landing. Pity I didn't take a screenshot though, cause my sides hurt from laughing so hard when it happened.

Also, your grand tour videos: Sure I'd love to see it continued, but it'd also be really cool to redo them with current KSP. I wanna see your take on reusable landers / rovers, cause mine are almost always overbuilt. In any case, keep making KSP videos, they're great entertainment and give me some good ideas. :)

May own grand tour ship, somewhat inspired by yours, finally in orbit. I'll be doing a thread with tons of pictures soon. Unsure how my comp will handle KSP and video, but we'll see:

s6w.png

Edited by Immashift

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.