No one doing a 44th Anniv Re-enactment? Let's all land on the Mun this weekend!

rodion_herrera

I spot a typo--Apollo 11 was in 1969, not 1967. Still, very good!

Strangely enough, just as I switched my PC off, a sudden thought hit me that I had put 1967 instead of 1969. When I turned it back on to check, yep there it was. Needless to say, I've made a quick correction in case anyone wants to use it.

I've never done a proper Apollo-style Mun landing and I've seen this thread floating around so I decided to give it a try. The problem is I just installed FAR and a few other mods, and I really like them so getting the transfer vehicle and lander to orbit would require fairings. After a few unsatisfactory tries with the stock parts, I decided to bite the bullet and just wrap the whole thing up:

E5XVrqy.jpg

I'll do the flight and post a gallery once my kid goes to bed.

Here's mine. I wanted to play around with the KSPX parts before 0.21 and get my feet wet with some of the mods I downloaded. I probably went way overboard on the life support for this thing. It turns out that the low part count was a good thing because I accidentally had the laptop unplugged and it switched over to the Intel chip (No wonder Kerbin slowed down the framerate...)

Javascript is disabled. View full album
I tried to do mine with those new fairings ... could not get it working. seems if you make those fairings that large they flop all over and you can't secure them. so I just did away with the faring and did it without.

I'm using the Procedural Fairing mod, that entire thing was three parts and was actually pretty rigid. I could also pin some struts through it, which really helped.

Edited by regex

What a nice idea

Jeb is allready in training

screenshot146j.png

and the Saturn V is ready on the pad

screenshot73la.png

Everybody who is in need of a working SaturnV/Apollo11 design can use my stock design: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/0-19-ancient-launchers-stock/

Nice rocket but perhaps a bit overpowered, I used the 3rd stage almost to landing so I could probably have returned the lander to Kerbin.

However it lack SAS/ ASAS on the service / command module part. I did not notice this until I did the command module and turnaround and dock outbound for Mun.

Luckily I was lazy and had mechjeb on it, pretty hopeless with an ship who rotates so quick and no asas.

If you want to get in on the celebrations but struggle to either design an Apollo-style craft or fly the missions, I humbly suggest you check out my Munshine V:

xvoBOuf.jpg

It's light (both in mass and parts) and user-friendly. With an extensive manual, five pages of discussion (including mission reports) and two full mission-length videos it is perhaps the most well-document spacecraft of its kind after Mulbin's amazing Munbug X (which is neither light nor user-fiendly, but it is awesome).

Munshine V will be rebuilt once 0.21 hits and I'm flying her one last time today in honor of Apollo 11. A mission report will be posted here.

Strange... and it cites wikipedia as its source, yet wikipedia says he's still alive... On further research, he was at least alive las month when he spoke at a memorial service to Neil Armstrong....

Strange... and it cites wikipedia as its source, yet wikipedia says he's still alive... On further research, he was at least alive las month when he spoke at a memorial service to Neil Armstrong....

hmm very strange indeed

I had a go as it's only fitting I suppose. I tried to follow the ethos of the original mission, rather than try to follow every detail, so the lander is packed below the command module and needed to be docked with once in orbit, but it's only one stage rather than two.

On the launch pad waiting to go.

App01.jpg

Climbing to parking orbit

App02.jpg

Jettisoning the Munar injection stage

App03.jpg

Established orbit around the Mun

App04.jpg

Landing spot near the memorial

App04b.jpg

Kerbonauts plant their flag at the memorial

App05.jpg

Lander rendezvousing with the Command module

App06.jpg

Arriving back at Kerbin close to the KSC

App07.jpg

Home safe

App08.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.