[1.0.5] TAC Life Support v0.11.2.1 [12Dec]

TaranisElsu

Well I think technically you mean Earth days since they're 24 hours. The latest update actually fixed the game clock so that 1 day is now only 6 hours (so now 1 Kerbal day.)

Sorry, poor phrasing. Was meant to mirror "person-days" of life support (one person-day supports one person for one day, or two people for half a day, etc). Was not intended to referr to "Kerbal days" as in the 6hr Kerbin day.

So, while the resource consumption is updating at an accelerated rate of 24-hours-worth-of-consumption per tick, is the recycler activity accelerated to the same rate?

Yes, they are (he explicitly mentions "to give the recyclers a chance to act", it would be fairly pointless if they weren't).

Well I recently started using TAC again and decided to make up some textures that reflex my personal visual tastes.

I thought I would share them here if anyone wants them, if that's OK?

Edit: Now at CurseForge :

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/221003-retextures-for-tac-life-support

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jnz1zxws7gtcil5/TAC%20LifeSupport%20Retextures.zip

WxAd7l2.png

bud1DvE.png

Edited by Tommygun

As mentioned before, Universal Storage is aiming to give us that realism-based capacity and usage scenario for those of us that want it. But, they're still waiting to see if TAC switches to Liters, apparently.

It's not about purism or realism. I'll try to explain one more time.

If you can't comprehend what we are talking about or what we are trying to achieve, please stay out of it.

There is no problem with the unit TAC uses. There is no problem with multiple tanks in the same part.

The problem comes when you create parts for TAC, (or add configs for mod fuels) and try to figure out how much resource they should hold.

What I, and apparently few other people have done, is calculate that 1 TAC of water unit equals 1.8kg. Water being 1kg/l nets us 1.8l per unit. So if my tank has volume of x liters, it should hold x/1.8 units water, or any other resource (disregarding whether or not one could hold said food or gas in similar volume)

However the resulting container results in around twice the size of TAC container.

It is nothing to do with realism, but rather building consistent tanks. The only realism involved, is the density of water per liter.

Well I recently started using TAC again and decided to make up some textures that reflex my personal visual tastes.

I thought I would share them here if anyone wants them, if that's OK?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jnz1zxws7gtcil5/TAC%20LifeSupport%20Retextures.zip

http://i.imgur.com/WxAd7l2.png

http://i.imgur.com/bud1DvE.png

Yoink! /10char

It's not about purism or realism. I'll try to explain one more time.

If you can't comprehend what we are talking about or what we are trying to achieve, please stay out of it.

You speak of comprehension and "staying out of it" while butting in and assuming a simple statement was somehow an argument for or against something you've apparently been discussing and I've never even seen. This forum isn't only about you. Cool off.

As a side note, to me, it is about purism and realism. I personally won't be using TAC until I can pair it with Universal Storage, because to me it just makes much more sense and I love the effort that's being put into both its looks and its balancing. You may feel differently; doesn't mean you need to attack me for it.

You speak of comprehension and "staying out of it" while butting in and assuming a simple statement was somehow an argument for or against something you've apparently been discussing and I've never even seen. This forum isn't only about you. Cool off.

As a side note, to me, it is about purism and realism. I personally won't be using TAC until I can pair it with Universal Storage, because to me it just makes much more sense and I love the effort that's being put into both its looks and its balancing. You may feel differently; doesn't mean you need to attack me for it.

Perhaps I misunderstood you. I apologize.

I asked a question, and conversation basically changed to realists vs kerbalists. I hardly took is an argument against my position, as I have no position on the matter, in addition everyone is free to pursue the experience they prefer.

So, I wanted a way of producing food for my colonies. So I took the H.O.M.E. greenhouse (which has no food production) and copied code from the .cfg file for the TAC carbon extractor and modified it so that it takes 2 units of waste (that's compost), and 1 unit of water plus some electricity to generate 1 unit of food. My son points out correctly that it should also consume CO2 and produce oxygen.

Then I discovered that the modular Kolonization mod exists... Oh well, my greenhouse works.

So, I wanted a way of producing food for my colonies. So I took the H.O.M.E. greenhouse (which has no food production) and copied code from the .cfg file for the TAC carbon extractor and modified it so that it takes 2 units of waste (that's compost), and 1 unit of water plus some electricity to generate 1 unit of food. My son points out correctly that it should also consume CO2 and produce oxygen.

Then I discovered that the modular Kolonization mod exists... Oh well, my greenhouse works.

Are you talking about the inflatable greenhouse? Do you actually have it setup to require sunlight?

If so, have you had any problems with launching it?

Would you mind sharing the configuration you're using? (unless you're just using it to process input/output resources without requiring sunlight)

Are you talking about the inflatable greenhouse? Do you actually have it setup to require sunlight?

If so, have you had any problems with launching it?

Would you mind sharing the configuration you're using? (unless you're just using it to process input/output resources without requiring sunlight)

Ha, ha! You think I know what I'm doing! Unfortunately, I really don't.

I'd love to make it require sunlight. I assume if I look at configs for some photoelectric panels I could figure out how, but I'm totally new to this and haven't done that yet. No, at the moment I've just wholesale copied the conversion module from the TAC carbon scrubber and pasted it into the .cfg for the greenhouse, then changed the input and output resources. It doesn't even need to be unfolded to do conversion because I don't even know how to do that yet. But I'll keep working on it and once I'm not embarrassed by it I'll post the .cfg if people are interested. Seriously though, the modular Kolonization mod is probably more worthy of peoples' attention. I posted my comment half hoping to spark a discussion of what appropriate conversion rates for waste->food might be.

I haven't had any trouble launching the inflatable greenhouse. Is there some issue with it that others have encountered? The vessel that I built it into had two greenhouses and two habitat modules and I managed to fit it all into a KW expanded 2.5 m fairing, so it was pretty easy to launch.

I'd love to make it require sunlight. I assume if I look at configs for some photoelectric panels I could figure out how, but I'm totally new to this and haven't done that yet. No, at the moment I've just wholesale copied the conversion module from the TAC carbon scrubber and pasted it into the .cfg for the greenhouse, then changed the input and output resources. It doesn't even need to be unfolded to do conversion because I don't even know how to do that yet. But I'll keep working on it and once I'm not embarrassed by it I'll post the .cfg if people are interested. Seriously though, the modular Kolonization mod is probably more worthy of peoples' attention. I posted my comment half hoping to spark a discussion of what appropriate conversion rates for waste->food might be.

I haven't had any trouble launching the inflatable greenhouse. Is there some issue with it that others have encountered? The vessel that I built it into had two greenhouses and two habitat modules and I managed to fit it all into a KW expanded 2.5 m fairing, so it was pretty easy to launch.

To add light as a RESOURCE you can try some thing like

RESOURCE_DEFINITION

{

name = light

density = 0

flowMode = NO_FLOW

transfer = PUMP

isTweakable = false

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleDeployableSolarPanel

sunTracking = false

raycastTransformName = sunCatcher

pivotName = sunCatcher

isBreakable = false

resourceName = light

chargeRate = 1

powerCurve

{

key = 206000000000 0 0 0

key = 13599840256 1 0 0

key = 68773560320 0.5 0 0

key = 0 10 0 0

}

}

}

And add light as 1 of INPUT_RESOURCE for your food. Edited by Mecripp2

To add light as a RESOURCE you can try some thing like And add light as 1 of INPUT_RESOURCE for your food.

When I've tried adding the solar panel functionality to the greenhouse in the past, that part worked when I tested it on the ground, but when launching, some weird physics breaking stuff happened at around 7km altitude.

I didn't know as much as I know now but I suspect errors must have been generated that I didn't see. Or possibly a problem with the model's transforms or center of mass.

Maybe it was a bug in KSP. I'll try it again and see if anything's changed or if I've learned enough to solve the problem.

Edit: BTW, raycastTransformName & pivotName have to be set to actual transforms on the greenhouse model or your code won't work. The greenhouse has no such transform as 'sunCatcher'. I think I used living_tube previously but I'm not sure that was correct either...

Edited by Starwaster

So does this mod come with tanks for all the food, waste, co2 and whatever else you need?

And does it have some parts for reprocessing waste back into reusable resources?

*wonders how he would supply a base on every planet plus pf planets all at once*

So does this mod come with tanks for all the food, waste, co2 and whatever else you need?

And does it have some parts for reprocessing waste back into reusable resources?

*wonders how he would supply a base on every planet plus pf planets all at once*

Yes, tanks exist for everything. Converters exist for the following (all produce Waste as a byproduct):

Water -> Oxygen

Waste Water -> Water

Carbon Dioxide -> Oxygen

The water and oxygen recyclers are only 90% efficient, but when combined with a big tank they mean you can go for years without resupply.

To answer one of the most frequently asked questions, food recyclers do not exist in stock TAC, but there are plenty of 3rd party addons. In fact, there was a discussion about them just a few posts back.

Edited by Starstrider42

Yes, tanks exist for everything. Converters exist for the following (all produce Waste as a byproduct):

Water -> Oxygen

Waste Water -> Water

Carbon Dioxide -> Oxygen

The water and oxygen recyclers are only 90% efficient, but when combined with a big tank they mean you can go for years without resupply.

To answer one of the most frequently asked questions, food recyclers do not exist in stock TAC, but there are plenty of 3rd party addons. In fact, there was a discussion about them just a few posts back.

Ah ok! But food waste is something you'll have to carry with on the ship?

*thinks up ideas for disposing of waste via impactors*

Edit: since it uses electricity, does it account for solar panels,rtgs, or kethane generators generating electricity while the ship isn't loaded?

Edited by Deadpangod3

Edit: since it uses electricity, does it account for solar panels,rtgs, or kethane generators generating electricity while the ship isn't loaded?

No, it ignores both electricity generation and consumption while unloaded (even though it says it doesn't). Likewise, converters only run while the ship is loaded; IIRC there are some coding tricks used to help them deal with backlog when you load a ship after a long time.

Electricity usage is straight-up ignored while the ship is unloaded, because accounting for power sources while the vessel is unloaded is difficult to impossible. For other resources it tracks how much you SHOULD have used (based on how long it's been since you last loaded the ship) and uses that much real fast upon reloading the vessel (including allowing the converters to recycle stuff at a similarly accelerated rate), then returns to the standard usage rate.