[1.0.5] TAC Life Support v0.11.2.1 [12Dec]

TaranisElsu

Assuming a Kerbal consumes about half as much as a human then they'd need something like 19.2 tonnes of supplies to last that long, (3 Kerbals x 850 days)but the combination of all the modules used was only .6 tonnes total, which is why I thought it was a mistake. Anyways I think I'll need to find a balance somewhere between ECLSS where you need a bunch of tanks just to get to the moon, and this mod where you only need one tank to get to anywhere and back. I'm just trying out some of these in my new 23 save.

Assuming a Kerbal consumes about half as much as a human then they'd need something like 19.2 tonnes of supplies to last that long, (3 Kerbals x 850 days)but the combination of all the modules used was only .6 tonnes total, which is why I thought it was a mistake. Anyways I think I'll need to find a balance somewhere between ECLSS where you need a bunch of tanks just to get to the moon, and this mod where you only need one tank to get to anywhere and back. I'm just trying out some of these in my new 23 save.

Hopefully the guy over at Flexrack releases SOMETHING soon. Those bag parts look so good and you could tweak them to hold a nice solid amount without requiring those giant ECLSS tanks everywhere on the ship. Sending resupply missions would be easy too, especially if those bags could be put in a KAS container

Can someone inform me as to why my crew keep dying of air toxicity even though there is no carbon dioxide in the crew capsule and I have 800+ days of oxygen left?

AFAIK TAC carbon dioxide is just a waste resource that doesn't do anything but let you convert it back to some free O2.

Do you have any other life support mods?

Can someone inform me as to why my crew keep dying of air toxicity even though there is no carbon dioxide in the crew capsule and I have 800+ days of oxygen left?

Are you running out of electricity?

Are you running out of electricity?

Rayder is on the right path. Dying of "air toxicity" means that you are running out of electricity. Make sure that you have enough batteries and power generation parts (solar panels or RTGs).

Rayder is on the right path. Dying of "air toxicity" means that you are running out of electricity. Make sure that you have enough batteries and power generation parts (solar panels or RTGs).

Or, Jeb has been eating TOOOOOO much broccoli again...

Did you remove the Texture.tga file from TacLifeSupportRecyclers? If so, try placing it back or copy over the Texture.png file from the containers.

I know from messing about with .mu files earlier today:P that the model has "Texture" as default texture. I guess removing it breaks the loading of the textures altogether, even if they they are overwritten by the .cfg files(?)

On a different note: I updated the parts I posted (on page 44) for 0.23. So they won't blow up in your face when you look at them...

Thanks man, that fixed it! Seems you need a default 'Texture.*' for the parts vOv

Any plans to update the ingame models to this mod? I hate to be vain but I can't really use this mod with the current models.

Well, the models are just fine, but the default textures are terible yes (sorry TaranisElsu) I suggest you also get the textures that jfjohny5 has made:

Ok... I couldn't help myself. I kept thinking about the feedback that the water icon looked like a flame, and I had to adjust it. So as long as I was changing that, I decided to adjust the inline containers to look like the others I had done. Sorry regex, I hope you don't mind me tweaking your work. :rolleyes: You can tell storage apart from converters by the middle band - dark with a color accent for storage. Light for converter.

So once I was done with that I realized that I wasn't super happy with the colors. I mean Kerbals are very green. It stands to reason that might be a result of eating a lot of green food. So I changed the color for the "Food" resource across the board. There are a few other details here and there. Check the back of the inline modules.

Updated download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22466/TAC_Hex_and_Converter_Textures.zip

In the end it's a simple iconographic style; which I'm a fan of. I hope you like it. And Taranis, provided regex is cool with it, I'm fine with you packaging these textures up as part of the mod if you'd like.

Updated screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/LFkWwlz.jpg

KSP 0.23 with Tac Life 0.7.0.3

Life monitor tab while on the launch pad is showing no info.

You need to launch your vessel before life support kicks in. This is to allow you to time warp to a launch window as desired without having to worry about life support consumption.

Source:

Did you launch the rocket? It does not do anything until the rocket or plane is launched. That way you can timewarp to your launch window without worrying about the crew.

I found a mod that uses part of your mod. I did no saw in your first page so I think that you did not notice yet.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/53009-0-21-BioMass-Renewable-Bio-Fuel-Modules

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/renewable-bio-fuel-modules/

"Cross Mod Resource Support (TAC Life Support, IonCross)"

Now, with the last update is necessary waste and wastewater to produce nutrients for the greenhouses.

In the greenhouses they recycle CO2 into Oxygen, and produce food. But they forgot that the greenhouses also recycle the water.

There are several NASA experiments to construct a closed biosphere to recycle all the resources for long voyages (for mars and beyond). For this reason I prefer to use greenhouses than your recycle modules.

Now I want to make a permanent bases in other planets and with greenhouses could be possible to do it but I found several problems.

- The production of food in the greenhouses is very high, in a day I made food for 20 days for 7 kerbals

- The production of oxygen is also too high.

- Water, and waste is consume not recycled.

The greenhouse is taken from here

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/greenhouse/

So I was thinking in take the greenhouse and modify to work properly with your mod, and if you want joint in your mod, I don't need to produce more fuel I only want to make autonomous bases and outpost for my Kerbals (And if the Kerbals consume resources is more realist, and more difficult)

I was thinking in use one greenhouse for 3-8 Kerbals

Cross-posting this from the realism overhaul thread.

I made models for an electrolyser and a fuel cell (technically a 12-cell stack).

They are available at https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4y-shYXMH9BcEhsUWNyLXpXZEU&usp=sharing.

Electrolyser (from the Elektron diagrams, ignoring safety features such as a blast-proof housing and a nitrogen pressure hull).

http://imgur.com/a/0ost5

Fuel cell (from tweaking the previous model and looking at the Apollo Operations Handbook). It's shown packed inside a service module with RCS tanks, O2 tanks, with MechJeb providing some awkward lighting.

http://imgur.com/a/etto1

Caveat: I do not use the same colour-coding as regex for O2, H2 and H2O. I sort of followed ISO 14726 for the pipes (http://www.maritimeprogress.com/downloads/M2-Pipe-Identification-Tape-to-ISO14726.pdf) and although this is probably bad practice, I used the same colour-coding for the tanks. It follows for instance that the O2 tanks in the electrolyser and fuel cell are gray-blue-gray (this happens to match the tanks in the Mk1 pod and on the launchpad), while the regex O2 tanks are yellow. Water is okay, it's blue.

Regarding licensing,

http://i.creativecommons.org/l/by-sa/4.0/88x31.png

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

ah, how do i download this?

Anyone find a good consumption rate/waste production rate in the current build? Right now a single large life support container lasts a kerbal 840 days which is a bit too much. I'm not sure what the intended timeframe is of the container.

You need to launch your vessel before life support kicks in. This is to allow you to time warp to a launch window as desired without having to worry about life support consumption.

Source:

Thanks for the info

Which tga files do I need to delete to use jfjohnny5's new textures? The readme just says delete the two tgas of the same name as the overwritten files but there are no tgas with those same names. Not sure which two to delete.

CarbonExtractorTexture.tga and WaterPurifierTexture.tga?

I installed Life Support, then I dragged jfjohnny5's textures in and I still only see the old textures. What am I missing? I can see that all the png's have been replaced in my GameData folder - why does it still show the old textures after a complete game restart?

EDIT - Sorry, high stupidity here. The instructions said:

- Replace the TWO cfg files

- Delete the TGA files of the same name

So I assumed it meant delete the tga files for the TWO cfg files that were overwritten not delete EVERY tga file. Fixed.

Edited by Oddible

Anyone find a good consumption rate/waste production rate in the current build? Right now a single large life support container lasts a kerbal 840 days which is a bit too much. I'm not sure what the intended timeframe is of the container.

Well, a quick search turns up that the ISS crew members are assigned approximately 1.8kg of food per day, per person. If kerbals need half that we can round a bit and call it 1kg per kerbal per day. I'm not sure what volume that should require, however. It just becomes a matter of determining what density the food should be. We know the mass (1kg per kerbal-day) so the density allows us to derive the volume needed. From that we can either determine how much the current containers can actually hold and what their mass should be, or we can determine what volume the containers need to be to hold the desired mass of food.

Assuming the same (inefficient) packaging that we use here on Earth, then approximately 75% of the waste mass will be food packaging (the wiki page showed ~65% to 90% waste was food packaging on various missions). Not sure how that would play into the mod, however. It might be easier to just gloss over that part. ;)

Well, a quick search turns up that the ISS crew members are assigned approximately 1.8kg of food per day, per person. If kerbals need half that we can round a bit and call it 1kg per kerbal per day. I'm not sure what volume that should require, however. It just becomes a matter of determining what density the food should be. We know the mass (1kg per kerbal-day) so the density allows us to derive the volume needed. From that we can either determine how much the current containers can actually hold and what their mass should be, or we can determine what volume the containers need to be to hold the desired mass of food.

Assuming the same (inefficient) packaging that we use here on Earth, then approximately 75% of the waste mass will be food packaging (the wiki page showed ~65% to 90% waste was food packaging on various missions). Not sure how that would play into the mod, however. It might be easier to just gloss over that part. ;)

Yea, I'm not really good with math so I just multiplied consumption rates by 6.

That should mean a small container with 30 units of food lasts 5 days instead of 30, medium container lasts 40 days instead of 240, and large container lasts 320 days instead of 1920

ah, how do i download this?

At https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4y-shYXMH9BcEhsUWNyLXpXZEU&usp=sharing.

If you just want the models and textures, they are under Models only. If you want the modified resources file (with Hydrogen) and the cfgs for the Bacon cell and Electrolyser (beware, my electrolyser is less efficient than Taranis's, which violates the conservation of energy), grab the ThunderAerospace folder and merge it with the one under GameData. For convenience I have added a zipped version of that folder.

You will need to make a Hydrogen tank yourself if you want to be able to use the fuel cell. I might model some tanks next year, I also want to model the Sabatier and the Bosch reactors.

At https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4y-shYXMH9BcEhsUWNyLXpXZEU&usp=sharing.

If you just want the models and textures, they are under Models only. If you want the modified resources file (with Hydrogen) and the cfgs for the Bacon cell and Electrolyser (beware, my electrolyser is less efficient than Taranis's, which violates the conservation of energy), grab the ThunderAerospace folder and merge it with the one under GameData. For convenience I have added a zipped version of that folder.

You will need to make a Hydrogen tank yourself if you want to be able to use the fuel cell. I might model some tanks next year, I also want to model the Sabatier and the Bosch reactors.

thanks for the .zip was confusing me how it was set up before.

Changes

* Now works with the Toolbar mod from blizzy78. Not required, but if you have it, the icon will be added to the toolbar instead of being by itself.

Download from http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/tac-life-support/

Thank you, jfjohnny5, for the button texture!

I find it very awesome that several mod makers are starting to use this thing, it's starting to create a standardized interface for mods that looks way less messy on screen. Kudos to you and anyone who decides to participate in such things.