S/2004 N 1 new Neptune moon

rottielover

Wow, how cool is it that we are discovering moons in our own solar system in 2013!

It made me think about KSP and if there are any plans around adding more bodies in the Kerbin system.

Dreaming a bit, but how cool would it be for one aspect of the game to be setting up a space telescope(s) and discovering "your own" stuff!

Anyway food for thought, please me this thread if it belongs somewhere else, I just thought general discussion sounded right.

It made me think about KSP and if there are any plans around adding more bodies in the Kerbin system.

Dreaming a bit, but how cool would it be for one aspect of the game to be setting up a space telescope(s)

That's their plan!

I hope when they add new bodies that squad does NOT tell us about them. Also they have to massively improve the skybox before a proper telescope feature is implemented. The current one looks awful when.zoomed in in iva.

That's their plan!

Unfortunately, it might be a little late, because we already know of all the current planets. But there are still more to come if Squad wants to make it that you must discover them first somehow before being able to see it on the map screen.

This should be in the science labs.

Is it me or is the General discussion getting filled with suggestions, things like this and general buggery that should be elsewhere.

We have Sub forums for these people!

Perhaps a discussion in the development section. I agree, though, a lot of stuff doesn't belong here. I even made a thread about it.

Perhaps a discussion in the development section. I agree, though, a lot of stuff doesn't belong here. I even made a thread about it.

Maybe I should make a thread about double posting.

Discovering planets with telescopes and moar planets in the game are both things squad has plans for in the final release. Eeloo is going to be a moon of the next gas giant they add, and apparently that one may end up with rings.

Unfortunately, it might be a little late, because we already know of all the current planets. But there are still more to come if Squad wants to make it that you must discover them first somehow before being able to see it on the map screen.

I'm willing to bet the planets will "disappear" once career mode is up and running.

I re-read the wiki and I guess I missed the planned "observatory" thing, sorry!!

I thought The science labs sub-group was for people posting "the math".

Feel free to move the thread if it belongs elsware, I just saw the news about the new moon discovery and thought it would spark a cool ksp discussion.

I'm willing to bet the planets will "disappear" once career mode is up and running.

I wouldnt even mind if they rebuilt the Kerbol system a bit! ;)

Added a few things too maybe.

Im also in for a slightly different Kerbol systems, one with a more "difficult" starting point like tilted Kerbin axis and inclined Mun orbit?

Am I the only one who thinks we need telescopes and humble-telescopes in space and stuff?

Give the tracking-station a key-role in discovering new celestial-bodies, and 'track' their movement to determine their orbit and speed!

Maybe I should make a thread about double posting.

Discovering planets with telescopes and moar planets in the game are both things squad has plans for in the final release. Eeloo is going to be a moon of the next gas giant they add, and apparently that one may end up with rings.

Woops, apologies for that. I still need to figure out how to include two quotes in one post.

I know that they plan on doing it, but some of the joy of discovering it will be taken out because we already know what's out there.

Woops, apologies for that. I still need to figure out how to include two quotes in one post.

I know that they plan on doing it, but some of the joy of discovering it will be taken out because we already know what's out there.

I severely doubt that they'll have discovery for the stuff that's already in the game.

The planets out to Saturn were known before telescopes. (Uranus was discovered in 1781 and Neptune in 1846, also well before the Space Age, but they don't have KSP equivalents yet).

Eeloo is hard to find an analogue to, really, but it would certainly have been discovered before the Space Age, as far more distant Pluto was (1930). And if it's to become a moon of the Saturn-analogue, the big moons of Saturn were known quite early (the closest analogue, given that Eeloo is supposed to get cryovolcanism, is likely Enceladus - discovered 1789).

Even quite small moons were known - Amalthea of Jupiter, and Phobos and Deimos of Mars, were discovered in the late 19th century. And Bop and Pol are not even all that small - 65 and 44 km radius according to the wiki, which with the KSP space-compression factor would make them nearly 700 km and over 450 km in our Universe, quite significant bodies.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.