Need help for new design! ACK!

Ok, here's the deal. I'm building a thing, where part of the ship drops down on a hinge as soon as physics kick in. There's two sets of docking ports on each side, and the intention is they'll marry up and lock that part in, with the intention of releasing it at my leisure later on. The match is PERFECT, and the docks even slightly clip into each other as they pass. But they don't lock!

What do I do?

Pics?

If the problem you're having is anything like the one I had when I was making my modular Kethane Tanker Rovers (basically a skeleton with a cab that could pickup and transport various full and empty fuel tanks), my solution involved quantum struts mapped to an action group that I would toggle a couple times until they mated up properly.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'd rather make this work without mods. Well, I suppose I can do a quick vid of it... explain the issue in person. Uno momento.

There we go.

#EDIT: Again apologies ahead of time for the old man cackling.

Edited by Whackjob

Oh good god. I'm some kind of idiot. I think I can do this without docking ports. And without the giant external carriage.

#EDIT: Ok. I think I have this. There's no docking port. And as an aside, I think I just invented, or at least achieved through parallel evolution, an awesome sort of articulated wheel truss that provides excellent support, even if the ground is at the wrong angle.

Edited by Whackjob

Ok. Here's how I worked around the issue. Independant carriage front and rear. They can move semi-independently, which has the curious side effect of being able to articulate and match the terrain. Turning is kind of... weird, but functional completely. I can see using this carriage system for larger builds.

I muted my mic this time around. So this video is cackle-free. It's a nice workaround, but I'd still like to know if any of you good folks know what could've made the docking points work.

Here is what I think the docking port issue is (because I have seen ships dock with self before). The magnetic force of the docking ports is not enough to stop the main rocket from dropping past them due to gravity. What you need is something to stop the rocket body at the level of the docking ports long enough for them to link up. (this is ordinarily where quantum struts come in).

@Whackjob: Sorry I disappeared last night. I honestly didn't expect a reply so bloody quick. Mind you, I sold my truck yesterday and got relatively plastered shortly thereafter, so I probably wouldn't have been much help. That being said, what program do you use for capture? I'm not familiar with that kind of software, and to be able to post a near two minute vid, in response to a post two minutes prior is pretty impressive.

Sidenote: On the 'old man cackling' issue, it's much more agreeable than the mouthy 12 year olds I used to hear whilst playing shooters with my friends on the 360 in the past.

• 5 months later...