• Cavendish & Foucault
    • Litho & Crash
    • Buzz & Neil
    • Galileo & Galilei
    • Columbia & Eagle
    • Spontaneous Disassembly & Abundance of Boosters
    • Lil' Strutty & Teething Problems
    • 'More Boosters' Jeb & 'Safety First' Bob

...You've never played KSP before, have you?

I am sorry, i don't see the connection between me playing or not the game and a forum joke than i dislike because it goes against efficient rocket design

You can like it, thats your right, as is my right to dislike it, but getting so aggressive over the results of a poll is way to much.

Calm down and if you like the names so much you can always get two turtles and give them those names. Peace and hawe fun.

...You've never played KSP before, have you?

You need to cool down mate, go have a nice, cold lager and watch some TV.

Anyway, I'm glad Buzz and Neil won, those names have far more significance than some silly forum joke.

Edited by Mercy

Um... what? SQUAD didn't even give us the choice of "von Braun and Korolev" so how can this be a fair poll?

In all seriousness, though, Buzz and Neil are pretty awesome names. Better than Jeb and Bob. Still though, next two rovers have to named von Braun and Korolev.

Over on the "lolsokerbal" side... I've always seen "Kerbal" as meaning more a "to hell with what they say is possible, let's do it anyway!" type attitude towards things. Kerbal engineers are entirely capable engineers, if easily entertained (Michael Bay would make a FORTUNE on Kerbin!) and a bit lax about safety concepts, but at the same time, they see any sort of limitations as a challenge, not a boundary. (I suspect that there's just as wide a range of personality types and intelligence as among humans, so one can hardly say that ALL Kerbals are capable engineers.)

That said, I hope the game doesn't fully lose its "we're doin' this on a shoestring because Jeb got drunk one night and decided it'd be cool to go to the Mun!" feeling. The whole feel that you're doing this with a budget that's not *quite* enough to actually pay for Doing It Right is part of the charm, and explains the use of salvaged and makeshift parts throughout the program that still are enough to get it done... most of the time.

As space.com said in their review, "build a little, test a little--thus as it always was." Remember, KSP is as much about the early days of spaceflight, when it was still very much cut-and-try "Well, let's see if THIS version blows up!" testing, as it is anything else. People who've grown up with the modern space age, where spaceflight is pretty much routine and you see at most one catastrophic failure per year would be shocked at the rate at which you had failures from the 50s through the mid-70s; that's the era this game truly captures, when Failure is Not Only an Option, It's Rather Likely because you are, as Arthur Clarke once put it, finding the limits of the possible by pushing past them into the impossible.

Yes, even things that have never been done before are usually successful today--witness Curiosity's oh-so-Kerbal landing sequence--but only because we spend so much time simulating them in computers and in ground testing before we actually do them. This game is about the evolution of the space program *to* that standard, when everything works first-time, every time, and to do that, you have to go through the painful early days of gathering enough data to be *able* to model things for simulation. Which means blowing up a hell of a lot of rockets in cut-and-try testing, and scrounging and skimping on an inadequate budget to be able to do so...

It was probably for the best that von Braun wasn't an option. The man employed slave labour and would order the guards to execute labourers that "underperformed".

But he still one of the most important people in rocketry. Without him, there would be no rockets, no space race, no moon landing, no small steps and giant leaps and most importantly, no Kerbal Space Program.

But he still one of the most important people in rocketry. Without him, there would be no rockets, no space race, no moon landing, no small steps and giant leaps and most importantly, no Kerbal Space Program.
Don't be too sure about that, von Braun was far from the only rocket scientist. It would have been a setback for the space race, but both the US and the Soviet Union had more scientists than just von Braun and Korolev. You overestimate the importance of select individuals, when it always was a group effort. It would have set the US back, but they would have figured out the German designs either way.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.