KSP v0.21 Media release rant

Lewin225

Hey everyone, before i start i just want to say that it has been great to see ksp progress so well since i got it in v0.13, but i would like to say that ( In my opinion )

<rant>

The v0.21 beta getting given to just the people who make ksp content or singed up to the experimental team is unnecessary and slightly insulting, i am aware that it is an unfinished version, but we are all beta testers, there is no reason i can see for squad to be picking (18+Applications ect./media) who gets to beta test the beta, i can see that they may not want the forum flooded with bug reports, but they could at least post it as a Nightly/Hot version on the downloads page, the 18+ thing i can also understand, as bug reports need to be readable, but they could at least release it to the other members of the community, and still keep the applicants to file the bug reports

</rant>

Anyway that's what crossed my mind today, hope yall have a nice day two :-)

P.S., use [ and ] for tags here, :P.

I can sort of understand what they're doing. And TBH, who would be able to resist downloading even a test version?

It is to avoid people going like: OmGAWD!!11!!!!1111!1Thes is soooooo buggie AND STUPERD! SQUAD, Fix Tese BUGSGSGS!!!!!!!!!!!!1

They tried it the way you suggested. That's what they did with .14, if you try to remember back then...

Frankly, I think it's better to keep stuff like this within closed circles of trusted players. If only because as a dev you're going to get a much more consistent set of bug reports, etc. than if you were to release it to the general public. Just look at how many new players post on the forums regarding things like strut placement or fuel transfer issues (things I have zero problem helping with). TBH, things like that don't belong in the dev process prior to the release. Sorry, but you're just going to have to be patient and wait for the release. As to feeling 'insulted,' I really don't know how to respond. It's a helluva sense of entitlement you've got there...

THe system they have now is much better than the forum storms every update like we had back in 0.14. It works, we wait a bit more but we get a bugless game and we can prepare for what's coming instead of reading the manual every time there's a new thing implemented.

So... first we get people moaning that there are bugs in new alpha releases, so Squad introduces debugging period for every update, and now we have people complaining that there is a debugging period before new release?? Seriously?

Two things:

It's 18+ because you have to be an adult to sign the NDA.

It's application only because it's high intensity, and you need to be able to dedicate a significant amount of time to test everything (thing 6h+ a day), in order for the release to get to where it needs to be. There are a lot of things that need ticking off, and this can't be done in an ad hoc manner. I do UAT at work, it's a pain, it needs to be done in a procedural and consistent manner.

End of.

The Media Group and Experimental Team are two very different things. The Media Group get the stablest build that we can do and they go through all the changes and produce excellent videos on them. The Experimental Team don't do that at all, they test all day, every day and write up reports on the issues they find. Now, the reason we still keep the whole closed Testing thing going is that there are simply too many issues with handing out unstable builds of the game to the general public. I mean, the Media Group know of the current issues in their build and thus know to avoid them, so whilst their builds might seem stable, they're most likely not. Believe me, if we were sitting on a perfect, polished and finished build of 0.21, you guys would already have it.

Anyway, it's best that this thread is closed as it's serving little purpose, other than to simply rant about a topic that hasn't been fully understood. Over the next few weeks, I'll be posting more and more blogs on the whole Testing Process and why it's necessary that it's done the way it is. Keep an eye out for them.