KSC Evacuate (Fastest Land Rover-ish)

KSC Evacuate (Fastest Rover)

Radio Recording:

Bob Kerman: We need assistance down here! The rocket is collapsing! Ahhhharghhhh-

Jeb Kerman: Evacuate the base! Go go go!!!

You have just 5 minutes to create a ground/sea vehicle, with one or more kerbals on board. It has to be fast. The 5 minutes is all you have to make a boat/car/rover and get as far away from base as possible. To work out how far you've gone make one part of your car/boar decouple at the start, then set that as target and begin. You need to screenshot yourself on the runway, and another of you far away from the KSC with the little target pink thing in the screenshot, which will say how far away you are.

Rules

1) You can use any parts

2) No abusing of bugs/glitches

3) No mods, NONE, no mechjeb or any of that

4) Please dont cheat and go more than 5 minutes

5) Have fun with this!

Achievements/Leaderboard

Furthest Away

1) 45.9km - Robbii

2) 44km - icutty

3) 3.5km - sesni

Fastest Speed

1) 181.8 m/s ~ icutty

2) 146.2 m/s - Robbii6

3) 22.3 m/s - sesni

Edited by Pinkieseb

I assumed the 5min was just for driving

and if it left the ground it had to be uncontrollable(no flight)

but i got 30.3km coming to a complete stop within the 5min

I did not take it to full throttle but top achieved speed was 112m/s

1:KSProverfast_zps0483be6e.png

2:KSProverfast2_zpsd4840d84.png

It took me so long to get a result!! it wasn't the fact that my craft couldn't do it (kinda) But i could not get over the rough terrain at the speed i was going without my craft flipping. first i had the wheels on the body, but that seemed to flip really easily. from that i had a few designs which made the wheels further away from the body, it helped, but it was not an easy craft to handle. especially at that speed.the final design was this

You can just about see some separtrons on the side and if your wondering why its because i had a problem that the timer would not start unless i left the ground. so they were to start the timer off

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a568/Robbii6/screenshot92_zps5ce0f745.png' alt='screenshot92_zps5ce0f745.png'>

Setting the separator as a target

screenshot93_zps20e77cdb.png

The highest speed i dared go was 144.1 m/s

screenshot95_zpsc00d6fa5.png

1 minute in i was 6.7km away and i had slowed my speed to about 110m/s

screenshot97_zps5a82c9a0.png

Half way i was 16.1km away going 100m/

screenshot97_zps5a82c9a0.png

And finally at 5 minutes i was 31.6km away

screenshot99_zpsebc66832.png

The "Jeb! We gotta get outta here!" rover.

JhXGWMr.png

Just leaving, except my seat for Jeb (Who was waiting for a stable plane from the WW1 challange I ragequit on because I suck at planes) had popped off, along with him.

0HdTiQT.png

Timer ended like 20 seconds ago, just slowly driving forwards until I stop.

W3sPjQk.png

Stopped at 3.351 KM away from Jeb. Highest speed 21 m/s Dunno why my MET is 7:18. I put the timer on my Ipad at 5 minutes.

Also, I don't trust the end-flight gauges. Pretty sure the wheels I used can NOT go 175 m/s.

Note : You should have a leaderboard for all challengers, in each of the current leaderboards.

Edited by Sesni

Ok im updating everything right now...

Take as long as you want to build it! :)

Oh and if you want, I dont mind that if you make it to a mountain, you get so much speed you start flying. As long as the craft isnt designed to fly, its all good :D

Updated! I removed the largest vehicle leaderboard... Just because its kinda opinion, ish, someones might be the tallest, another might be wide... And i'd count the taller one as bigger.... So yup, removed.

Ok im updating everything right now...

Take as long as you want to build it! :)

Oh and if you want, I dont mind that if you make it to a mountain, you get so much speed you start flying. As long as the craft isnt designed to fly, its all good :D

HOLD THE PHONE! Retrying this with better vehicle right now. (You should make a bonus for picking more kerbals up that don't start in the CM, and a point chart instead of JUST leaderboards.)

Nevermind, my luck is too bad currently to even TRY building something stable.

Edited by Sesni

I gave this another go

Start:

Top Speed 181.8m/s

Finish 44km away from start It fliped when I hit the break button

How long did it take?

It traveled the entire 5m

It just flipped because there are 30 some wheels on the bottom, and slamming the parking break at 140m/s on a hill is a bad idea

Edited by icutty

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.