About Spam on the Forums

HarvesteR

Hi,

We've been having a little trouble with spam on the forums these days... It seems the bots are capable of going through the captcha at the registration page...

So I've set up a required verification for first posts. If you're posting for the first time, you'll see a captcha box (those 'type the letter in the image above' things) before you post.

This only happens for first-time posts though. If you're deemed human you can keep on posting normally after that. ;)

I just wanted to let everyone know about this. I reckon very aggressive anti-spam measures can make a forum seem unwelcoming, and that's the last thing we want to do. So I hope a simple captcha on your first post (and only on the first post) is a reasonable compromise.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Unfotunately, there is no perfect solution. The best you can do is make it difficult to the point they will go find an easier target.

With the additional mods now on board, we should be able to nip a spam flood quickly. Just hit the report link when you see spam and we'll nuke it.

Cheers!

Skunky

Couldn't you throw up something like 'what year was the Beijing Olympics in' as a question? It should defeat most simple spambots from registering and works better than a Catchpa.

Another good one is 'enter the third word of this sentence into the box'. Or 'click the picture of a duck'. Basically, text recognition is the worst possible way to do captcha, because computers are very very good at it and it's very very annoying for humans.

Oh, one more thing. Please don't reply to spam posts. It just makes more work for us.

Cheers!

Skunky

ORLY? Deleting a thread made by a spambot is easier if there are no replies in it? That makes no sense, mate.

ORLY? Deleting a thread made by a spambot is easier if there are no replies in it? That makes no sense, mate.

No, not be a rudely sarcastic, and causing shitstorms by bumping spam topics instead of just reporting them and moving on, and allowing the forum to move like normal without WOW_GOLD_FREE being the main topic makes our jobs easier.

Mate.

Well, yeah. Until I found the Delete Thread button at the bottom vs. the Delete Post button at the top. It bitched about deleting the first post if there were replies.

My bad, mea culpa.

Skunky

On the other hand, if the spam is mid-way down a legitimate thread then the fewer responses there are to the spam, the more sense the thread makes once the spam has been deleted / the les work there is for moderators.

I moderate a health-related forum, and on one occasion deleted a spam, didn't notice that the message after it was a scathing attack on the spammer, and nearly ended up causing a blazing row between her and the previous legit poster who thought HE was being attacked! What I should have done was do the extra work and delete the messages after the spam that referred to it.

So, answering spam that appears in legitimate threads make extra work for the moderators.

On the other hand, if the spam is mid-way down a legitimate thread then the fewer responses there are to the spam, the more sense the thread makes once the spam has been deleted / the les work there is for moderators.

I moderate a health-related forum, and on one occasion deleted a spam, didn't notice that the message after it was a scathing attack on the spammer, and nearly ended up causing a blazing row between her and the previous legit poster who thought HE was being attacked! What I should have done was do the extra work and delete the messages after the spam that referred to it.

So, answering spam that appears in legitimate threads make extra work for the moderators.

Excellent point!

Cheers

Skunky

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...