What if KSP was sold to EA?

Bigcheecho

DON'T EVE-

*Ahem* Please don't even joke about such matters, if EA got ahold of KSP, the earth's intelligent population would leave earth, the apocalypse would become a mercy killing of humanity, all dreams and pleasant thoughts will turn to horrors, and EA will microtransaction you every time Jeb grins.

We must NEVER speak of this again, EVER. EVER EVER.

"Pay $5 to instantly refuel your craft anywhere!"

"Resource system, day-one DLC!"

On the bright side, we'd at least get multiplayer. :sticktongue:

Yes, but it'd be useless multiplayer, where no one understands the point of it.

Don't worry KSP is already on steam. If EA even THINKS about steam they immediately go into a state of pure horror at the fact people actually like it even though they have good deals. The only way to get out of this state is to develop a sequel to the sequel that is already in development and then release the second as a DLC to the first with is released after the second forcing you to repurchase the first so they can then sell even more DLC to cause more buildup to the sequel of the DLC for the actual first sequel which was really the second all along.

Uhh, there would be no more mods, internet required to play, paid upgrades for new rockets, parts, etc, shall I go on? I'd rather go buy another copy right now than really think about it. But since you asked, I would see nothing but doom. Simcity is a fun game but in it's current state it's in worse shape than an old build of KSP and I paid $60 for Simcity. Taking this game to EA would get it to more people and other platforms, IOS, console but at a huge cost. Not really worth thinking about at this point.

I'm not a lawyer, but wouldn't people like me who bought the game before April when Squad announced that anyone owning the game will receive ALL full updates for FREE, mean that people like me would still be legally bound to receive free updates? As per Squad prior to April 2013, all customers would receive all updates for free following their purchase. Wouldn't the requirement of payment by EA violate the purchase agreement between Squad and the end customer?

Thank God this isn't reality.

I'm not a lawyer, but wouldn't people like me who bought the game before April when Squad announced that anyone owning the game will receive ALL full updates for FREE, mean that people like me would still be legally bound to receive free updates? As per Squad prior to April 2013, all customers would receive all updates for free following their purchase. Wouldn't the requirement of payment by EA violate the purchase agreement between Squad and the end customer?

I could be wrong, but I think I remember something about in EA's terms of service, you agree not to take legal action against them. It's a dirty move, but I think it'd let them get away with doing something like that.

So rather than typing out a response that pretty much says what everybody else is saying, I'll just quote everyone I agree with in no particular order. :)

Nobody would play it and the devs would look like total sell-outs so nobody would like them anymore.
EA sux hardcore, I would not play the game ever again.
I wouldn't update past whatever Squad released as their final act of control.

Loyalty till death!

Don't even joke, I swear, everytime someone mentions them, they seem to be able to smell it, and then seek out the source to buy and exploit it.

that and a demon is born in hell everytime you mention their name.

-Æ

DON'T EVE-

*Ahem* Please don't even joke about such matters, if EA got ahold of KSP, the earth's intelligent population would leave earth, the apocalypse would become a mercy killing of humanity, all dreams and pleasant thoughts will turn to horrors, and EA will microtransaction you every time Jeb grins.

We must NEVER speak of this again, EVER. EVER EVER.

No. NO. Just... Just no.

I could be wrong, but I think I remember something about in EA's terms of service, you agree not to take legal action against them. It's a dirty move, but I think it'd let them get away with doing something like that.

Even if there is, it's not legal. You always have the right to take legal action if your rights have been violated or you have been harmed.

It's basically there to stop people who don't know any better.

EA.. :mad:

- First they would make it a DRM and you would need to be connected online at all times.

- Then they would eliminated any ability to make or use mods.

- Upon this platform you would then be bombarded by DLC (s) which would basically be the very mods we now enjoy.

- The servers would be full and you would not be able to log on to play and would have to wait in queue.

- The save games would take place on those DRM servers "not on your computer" but would mysteriously become corrupt and you would lose any saved game state.

- The head of EA would feed you the company line that the game "only" runs on the DRM server because it makes complex calculations. Then someone would make a video on You Tube showing you that its an outright lie.

- Meta scores would fall due to client dissatisfaction.

- The forums would be full of people raging about the DRM and EA involvement. But the EA fan boys would come to the rescue and tell you how your wrong to feel that way, and that you should feel differently.

- Several people would want their money back, but EA would tell them that if they did a credit card reversal they would lose access to all the other games they paid for at the EA store.

- Hate mail would be sent to the devs with petitions, threats of class action litigations, and personal stories how Squad's choice to join with EA has ruined their kerbal lives.

- The game would sell several copies and EA would reap the rewards as Squad was handed a bone and told to bend over as a whisper filled the air. "ya like that don't ya?"

In the end, The game as we know it would radically change for the worse and the gaming community would be disheartened that there was nothing they could do to stop it.

I would resign from the Kerbal Space Program for good and walk away disgusted.

You would have to read and accept the terms for it to even matter anyways.. If EA somehow bought this game i would never ever do that, so any terms of service would not mean anything.

You would have to read and accept the terms for it to even matter anyways.. If EA somehow bought this game i would never ever do that, so any terms of service would not mean anything.

Knowing how EA is, they'd make it so you could only play it via Origin.

On the plus side, whilst Squad know how to deal with Jeb (even if he does crash the servers from time to time), EA wouldn't know what hit them. Just think how much carnage he could unleash if he was given access to EA from the inside.

It'd be tempting just to see EA's flagship products Jeb'd - SimCities destroyed by the impact of a dozen SRBs strutted together and a command seat strapped to the top with a grinning Jeb in control; NBA 14 where the hoops are 17km above the arena and every player on court needs MOAR BOOSTERS; everyone in The Sims dying of starvation cos Jeb ate all the snacks! The havoc our favorite Kerbal could wreak from within EA is almost worth it.... :)

Edited by bracknellexile

It's not the instantaneous and copious DLC that would stop me from playing if this were to happen, as KSP stands at the moment i'd buy anything related to it, new eyebrows for Jeb? Count me in! No it's not that, but the fact that i know all creative integrity would go out the window the moment that awful company took over, corners would be cut, more money would be spent on advertising and torpedoing competition than on the game itself, etc, you know the drill.

The VAB would be replaced with something like:

Manned? [Y/N]

Big? [Y/N]

Very big? [Y/N]

Aspargus? [Y/N]

Solar Panel? [Y/N]

RTG? [Y/N]

Nuclear engine? [Y/N]

Done! You just build you very own, personal rocket!

The VAB would be replaced with something like:

Manned? [Y/N]

Big? [Y/N]

Very big? [Y/N]

Aspargus? [Y/N]

Solar Panel? [Y/N]

RTG? [Y/N]

Nuclear engine? [Y/N]

Done! You just build you very own, personal rocket!

That's way too much thought process, way too much choice, a man could drown in that much choice! It should be more like, "would you like to instantly appear on the Mun?" Yes/No.