What if KSP was sold to EA?

Bigcheecho

If EA owns KSP, everybody will play it or know it, but when we'll talk them about delta-V, rescue missions or phase angle, they will think we don't know how to play Kerbal Space Program... For EA, it will be as Xeldrak said:

The VAB would be replaced with something like:

Manned? [Y/N]

Big? [Y/N]

Very big? [Y/N]

Aspargus? [Y/N]

Solar Panel? [Y/N]

RTG? [Y/N]

Nuclear engine? [Y/N]

Done! You just build you very own, personal rocket!

Part skins will be a paid DLC.

Kerbal skins will be a paid DLC.

Boosters will be a paid DLC.

Liquid Engines will be a paid DLC.

All other parts will be a paid DLC.

Plugins will be a paid DLC.

Each planet (and moons, except Mun) will have its own paid Expansion Pack.

Any kinds of part packs will be in a form of a paid Expansion Pack.

You need to be connected on the internet while playing.

It just goes to show you, people will go to any lengths to justify software piracy.

well said.

IMO EA is not a good thing to happen to a software title that's beyond the level of sophistication a 5 year old can understand, say My Little Pony, but that doesn't justify piracy, nothing does.

If EA bought KSP, I'd make several backup copies of what Squad had last released, and suck dry the spaceport before it's shut down and replaced with a download store.

I'd not expect EA to ever release the product, let alone in any form even close to what Squad has in mind for it.

In fact I'd fully expect them to scrap the product and reassign a few key people in the Squad team to other projects, the rest getting fired on the spot.

7 hour instalation, horrible support, must connect to Origin every 5 minutes to log progress, when 25% progress is hit (basically based on time played) you are slapped with a "DO YOU WANT ANOTHER 5 HOURS? BUY THIS PASS! $59.99" popup, and if you don't pay, you don't play.

Crappy, useless sequels and expansions, COD integration, Horrible EA server connection, must log in to update, removal from Steam, ect...

Oh my childhood hurts.

\Whenever I think of EA I think of the company that realeased the first 6 Need For Speed games. They are also the company that saved Maxis and released Simcity 3000 and Simcity 4. But now the company is terrible.

At least they're not Zynga.

I'm guessing if Zynga sniffed out KSP with its dirty little snout, they wouldn't bother buying it. However, their next game would put you in charge of a space center building and flying rockets in a 3D, scaled down universe....

They would attempt to keep the spirit until about half the people were left, then sell the entire game as DLC. You buy the game for $50, and get the Sun floating in empty space and a menu prompting you to buy everything in the game. Moho? $10. Eve? $20. Jool and its moons? It would probably be released later as a sequel.

Gorp forbid such a thing.

Oh my childhood hurts.

\Whenever I think of EA I think of the company that realeased the first 6 Need For Speed games. They are also the company that saved Maxis and released Simcity 3000 and Simcity 4. But now the company is terrible.

It is really amazing how much they have changed over the years. I recall back in 90s when they were pretty much what we today call a small indie company that actually didnt only care about profits.

<Rowan Atkinson's Voice>

"I would be very, VERY, annoyed!"

<\Rowan Atkinson's Voice>

IF EA were to purchase it, it would be out of alpha/beta within three months and declared finished. We would only see our 'free updates' as patches so that the they could sell DLC. Work on KSP2 would begin (KSP2014?) to avoid breaking any commitment to STEAM or any original purchasers. Other aliens would be added so that a combat mode would exist. Anything too 'sciency or hard' would be removed and MechJeb would be built in to each craft you launched.

EA has not impressed me at all over the years. The only hope I ever had for them was SPORE and they screwed that one up pretty bad. Even something like The Sims3, which should long have been polished it still riddled with bugs. As great as the guys at SQUAD are, they would be crushed under the boot-heel (creatively and emotionally) of EA's legal department.

-Lego

I'm not a lawyer, but wouldn't people like me who bought the game before April when Squad announced that anyone owning the game will receive ALL full updates for FREE, mean that people like me would still be legally bound to receive free updates? As per Squad prior to April 2013, all customers would receive all updates for free following their purchase. Wouldn't the requirement of payment by EA violate the purchase agreement between Squad and the end customer?

Thank God this isn't reality.

Actually, no, you could not sue them. They are a different company and it really doesn't matter when you purchased the games. Different companies have different policies. The moment a game is sold, it's previous policies no longer matter. Basically what squad promises would have nothing to do with EA.

It sucks, but if you where to try and sue, you would lose because you have no case.

The VAB would be replaced with something like:

Manned? [Y/N]

Big? [Y/N]

Very big? [Y/N]

Aspargus? [Y/N]

Solar Panel? [Y/N]

RTG? [Y/N]

Nuclear engine? [Y/N]

Done! You just build you very own, personal rocket!

Think that's pretty accurate.

I'm now going to cut out my own eyeballs with an un-sterilized tuna fish can lid to ensure that I never see this happen.