Update issues

amitjalui

That is just referring to any future expansions that are produced.

People who bought KSP before May 2013 will get the full game and any future content expansions free of charge.

Those who missed that deadline will still get the core game with updates, but any major expansions after the finished release version are not included. So if they were to release for instance a Multiplayer DLC, people who purchased after May 2013 would not have that included.

At this time KSP is still an Alpha game, and all available game content is made available to everyone who has purchased it. They haven't even started considering expansions yet beyond a hypothetical discussion, and there is still a long way to go before the official release.

think of it like a kickstarter, those of us who funded the game when it was trying to get started get a bonus now that it's successful and running.

However, during kickstarter, you get the extra things for giving more money. It always depends on the tier. That isn't anything like what Squad is doing. Considering early adopters payed less, much less. Also, they where not very well known, so not everyone had a chance to even know about the game. Also, if it was on kick starter, it would be more well known and would have given more opportunity.

Last but not least, when they announced this, they only gave like a week or so for the deadline. Meaning by the time you knew this deal, you had to buy it with in a week which just is a very short amount of time.

At some point SQUAD had to stop giving away free stuff in order to preserve future profits (people have to eat now and in the future). That point just happened to be the end of May 2013.

All I hear is I want free stuff.

No, actually the opposite, I think no one should be getting free stuff. But good try.

At some point SQUAD had to stop giving away free stuff in order to preserve future profits (people have to eat now and in the future). That point just happened to be the end of May 2013.

I agree, however, it was never their intention to in the first place. I feel if they are going to give away anything for free, it should be with in good reason to do so, not because people complained about it or misunderstood it. If they do want to give things away for free, it should have been done in a fair manner.

I feel if they are going to give away anything for free, it should be with in good reason to do so, not because people complained about it or misunderstood it.

No disrespect intended, but isn't this exactly what you are doing regarding this issue?

If they do want to give things away for free, it should have been done in a fair manner.

I don't exactly see how it could have been any more fair than "If you didn't buy before this time, you don't get free updates."

No, actually the opposite, I think no one should be getting free stuff.

I don't follow. You're complaining that they set a cutoff-date that anyone buying-in after would only get the core game... but then you say nobody should be getting free stuff? Am I just not understanding you?

No disrespect intended, but isn't this exactly what you are doing regarding this issue?

I don't exactly see how it could have been any more fair than "If you didn't buy before this time, you don't get free updates."

Ya, I suppose I am complaining, but I am not complaining for free things lol.

As for being fair, I stated in the past by the time it was known, they only a gave a week to purchase the game to be eligible for it. It was announced April 11, well that is actually 2 weeks, though that is still a short amount of time. On top of that, early adopters already payed less as it is. Also, what makes any of their alpha testers any different really? Simply just that date?

Better question for you, why IS it fair?

Which will be sometime in 2024 if my maths are right.

I decided to actually put some numbers down based on prior release dates and try to calculate exactly when the final game will be finished.

I went back to 0.16 and noted down the approximate time between major releases from then until now. This is what I got:

0.16 -> 0.17: 2 months

0.17 -> 0.18: 3 months

0.18 -> 0.19: 3 months (I omitted 0.18.4; it was a minor update)

0.19 -> 0.20: 2 months

Now, it has been exactly two months since 0.20 came out, and since 0.21 is coming out SOONâ„¢, I'm assuming that it will come out in the next week or so, and there will be a two month difference between 0.21 and 0.20 as well.

Now, averaging all these times gives a mean development period of 2.4 months or 2 months, 12 days. Now, since there are 79 more major releases to go until SQUAD hits the magic 1.0 release, one can easily calculate the time required to complete development:

79 releases * 2.4 months/ release = 189.6 months, or 15.8 years, which translates to 15 years, 9 months, 18 days.

Therefore, KSP 1.0 will be released on May 10th, 2029. (Assuming SQUAD doesn't change their development period much, or skip numbers on their way to 1.0)

I'm sorry Sof, but you were a little too optimistic with your maths... ;)

I don't follow. You're complaining that they set a cutoff-date that anyone buying-in after would only get the core game... but then you say nobody should be getting free stuff? Am I just not understanding you?

The way I see it is, no one should be getting anything for free simply due to some random date they pulled out of no where. If it really had to be done, then they should have done it in a manner that is more fair to the rest of their customers.

Therefore, KSP 1.0 will be released on May 10th, 2029. (Assuming SQUAD doesn't change their development period much, or skip numbers on their way to 1.0)

I'm sorry Sof, but you were a little too optimistic with your maths... ;)

Except that's just the date for 0.100 ;)

Better question for you, why IS it fair?

I'm not arguing that it is fair, simply that I don't see a way that it could be made any more fair.

Why were early adopters more special and why set a date? Were I to use this development model my justifications would be that early adopters, especially the more enthusiastic ones, constitute free advertising and alpha testers. Not only that, but they provide the crucial early monetary kick my project would need to gain momentum, regardless of whether they paid less than later adopters. At some point I'd have to stop giving out free stuff or, alternatively, reward early adopters as a "thank you" (as I gather from your statements about SQUAD's plan), which is easily done by simply setting an arbitrary date, all notions of fairness be damned.

In other words, tough luck buddy. It happens to everyone at some point.

The way I see it is, no one should be getting anything for free simply due to some random date they pulled out of no where. If it really had to be done, then they should have done it in a manner that is more fair to the rest of their customers.

Look, the furore happened because of some unspecific wording in the sense that people may have assumed that 'all future updates' included post 1.0

As a gesture of goodwill, Harv et al. said "Okay, because we weren't specific, we'll make good on that promise". But since it only applied to people who had previously bought the game (and thus may have been under the impression that they were entitled to it when purchasing it), it was time limited.

Since it's clear that it's no longer included, it's not ambiguous. You will have to buy it. SQUAD were trying to make an act of goodwill, that's all.

I'm not arguing that it is fair, simply that I don't see a way that it could be made any more fair.

Why were early adopters more special and why set a date? Were I to use this development model my justifications would be that early adopters, especially the more enthusiastic ones, constitute free advertising and alpha testers. Not only that, but they provide the crucial early monetary kick my project would need to gain momentum, regardless of whether they paid less than later adopters. At some point I'd have to stop giving out free stuff or, alternatively, reward early adopters as a "thank you" (as I gather from your statements about SQUAD's plan), which is easily done by simply setting an arbitrary date, all notions of fairness be damned.

In other words, tough luck buddy. It happens to everyone at some point.

The problem with that is early adopters usually include all the alpha testers, not a small portion of them who adopted the game at a certain point in time.

As a more fair method it could have been stated like this. From versions 0.01 to 0.25 will get all expansions free. From versions 0.26 to 0.50 will get get the first 2 expansions for free. From 0.51 - beta version will get the first expansion for free.

That at least includes all your alpha testers.

Another method would be to give away the first expansion to all alpha testers.

I mean really their are many ways it could have been done more fair.

Look, the furore happened because of some unspecific wording in the sense that people may have assumed that 'all future updates' included post 1.0

As a gesture of goodwill, Harv et al. said "Okay, because we weren't specific, we'll make good on that promise". But since it only applied to people who had previously bought the game (and thus may have been under the impression that they were entitled to it when purchasing it), it was time limited.

Since it's clear that it's no longer included, it's not ambiguous. You will have to buy it. SQUAD were trying to make an act of goodwill, that's all.

Yes I know. It was done with good intentions but it leaves out a ton of people for really no good reason.

Yes I know. It was done with good intentions but it leaves out a ton of people for really no good reason.

Life really isn't fair, and as regex says, SQUAD aren't a charity. They need to make some money and giving stuff away isn't a good business model.

They did the best they could, and the people that are johnny come lately folk aren't entitled to anything more than what they signed up for, which is exactly what they're getting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.