Worth getting steam version?

Mantis Toboggan

The only difference is that Steam handles the updating instead of the updater program Squad has developed. And the Steam version has trading cards. Thats it. There is no DRM and you can mod just the same.

Full Disclosure: I started with a Steam version (back in April I believe) so I was never in the situation of having to transfer. Would have bought it earlier but was waiting for either the full release/review, or for it to be put on a service I trusted (ie. Steam).

Edited by Sethnizzle

Honestly it just depends on what you like better. With steam, you get trading cards, a web browser overlay (which I always thought was garbage, but hey, that's me) and you don't really have to worry about not getting access to an update. I stuck with the KSP store version, and plan to for a while.

You don't have to buy it again, you can transfer from the Squad store to the Steam service. I personally did as soon as it was possible so that my friends could see that I was playing it without me needing to put it into Steam as a non-Steam game. Also because of the automatic updating that won't fail like the Squad store has in the past.

since the game itself eats your RAM (memory leak??) and CPU core1 (unity being a 32bit engine??) alive

having another useless program running at the background (aka steam) doesnt help.

the standalone version is good enough

Not really had any issue with steam running in the background here but that might not be everyone's experience. Personally I am a bit biased to the Steam version because it is how I found this digital crack... err game. It hadn't even occurred to me to search out a game like this so when I happened across a Steam early access note I jumped. Having transparent updates is very nice and in addition you can roll back (read somewhere you can do this) your game version to a prior "stable" or "stable for you" state. Sure you could do this with some simple file copies with the store version but who doesn't like some automation now and again? In the end I enjoy the extended community surrounding this game that exists here as well as in the Steam forums.

Steam doesn't utilize much, it hasn't effected mine in any noticeable way. Over 700 parts and it slows down on launch but runs smoothly by orbit. Before the last update I would 'hand optimize' my computer before playing. Now however, it makes little or no difference. Of course it depends entirely on what your running it on.

Mine is a mid-grade laptop.

Acer Aspire w/AMD Phenom II 870 Quad 2.2 Ghz,

8 Gigs DDR3 RAM,

AMD Radeon HD 7400M,

Win7 64 bit,

Runs KSP in full resolution with LOTS of mods smoothly. (Except on launch, about 15 fps to 20k meters or so...at <700 parts, it becomes a slideshow around 780 parts..):cool:

since the game itself eats your RAM (memory leak??) and CPU core1 (unity being a 32bit engine??) alive

having another useless program running at the background (aka steam) doesnt help.

the standalone version is good enough

You don't need to run the steam version of KSP through steam.

If you're THAT worried about it stealing your resources, you can just turn it off and run the game from the install directly, only using steam as an updater.

I have the KSP store and the steam version, and I mainly use the store version as I prefer having control over my updates, so I treat the steam version as little more than a backup.

Steam doesn't utilize much, it hasn't effected mine in any noticeable way. Over 700 parts and it slows down on launch but runs smoothly by orbit. Before the last update I would 'hand optimize' my computer before playing. Now however, it makes little or no difference. Of course it depends entirely on what your running it on.

Mine is a mid-grade laptop.

Acer Aspire w/AMD Phenom II 870 Quad 2.2 Ghz,

8 Gigs DDR3 RAM,

AMD Radeon HD 7400M,

Win7 64 bit,

Runs KSP in full resolution with LOTS of mods smoothly. (Except on launch, about 15 fps to 20k meters or so...at <700 parts, it becomes a slideshow around 780 parts..):cool:

good to hear phenomII 870 is still considered a mid-grade..~

i thought my computer was stone aged...(havent been catching up with the hardware stuff since i built my computer like 3 yrs ago...(running on phenomII 955 and HD4850 (ya... 4-series was still considered new things those days)

But be aware, you can't switch back once you chose to use the steam version.

I don't use the steam version because it's just refreshing to have game that doesn't use steam. I'm not againts steam, far from it, but having lately always used steam for many games, it's nice to have some variety.

Edited by Doc.Solveberg

Getting the steam version means you get trading cards, and you don't have to be on the KSP website hitting f5 for the update as it will download automatically (if you haven't told it not to)

The only downside is that it can be a bit of a maze trying to find the KSP folder for modding if you don't know where to look.

You can do everything you can with the store version on steam. Make backup copies etc, but it is your own preference really. The differences are minor at best.

Glad to see all the initial steam bashing has disappeared! :)

I'm on steam, and it's simply because I want my fix of KSP as soon as it's released, which means having an auto-update and slightly faster serverside delivery. Apart from that, it's a free choice, and there's no difference.

I'm guessing steam will have achievements as well eventually. Of course achievements are nothing but bragging rights but hey its nice to see "first kerbal on the moon" achievement or whatever they add.

I don't know if all this was already mentioned by somebody, but:

1. You can start the Steam KSP version without Steam. Just double-click the "KSP.exe".

2. You can disable automatic updates through Steam.

3. You can turn Steam into offline mode. Which completely defeats Steams purpose of course...

Basically, Steam is only used as a delivery platform for KSP (at least at the moment. Don't know what the future will bring, obviously)

I'm guessing steam will have achievements as well eventually. Of course achievements are nothing but bragging rights but hey its nice to see "first kerbal on the moon" achievement or whatever they add.

It's doubtful - The Devs have said that they don't intend to include it.

Also, 250 posts :D

I already have a ton of games on Steam, so I transferred. Might as well keep it all in one place!

EDIT: you can disable updates. Once installed via steam, right click the game in your steam library. Go to it's properties. Then, under updates...

CSbPj.png

It really boils down to how much control you want over your game. With the web store, you can do things like have multiple installs (one with mods and one without, for example) that are harder or maybe even impossible with the steam version. With steam you get more reliable servers.

It really boils down to how much control you want over your game. With the web store, you can do things like have multiple installs (one with mods and one without, for example) that are harder or maybe even impossible with the steam version. With steam you get more reliable servers.

KSP on Steam doesn't have any form of DRM, you cn have multiple installs just fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.