What is the point of planetary bases

RatBeer

Firstly I'm not criticising planetary bases. I'm just curious as to what the point of making them is, I always hear people talking about them. I imagine it would be enjoyable building them and flying them there but what then? what is there to do when they're built. Of course they will serve a purpose with the introduction of career mode with mining, remote launch pads etc. Can someone enlighten me.

Duna Base Alpha uses one for off-Kerbin rocket missions (it's the core of the base). And one of my two future Laythe bases will use one as a Boat Spawning area, offshore.

I just use them to make it like, that base is independent from Kerbin. Why wait for a transfer window, when I can just spawn it from that base?

If you were talking about bases in general, Duna Base Alpha was made as a science base (and a way to get my Kerbals off my Space Station, since they got bored up there).

My Laythe base.... personal reasons.

Edited by Benie

I've put mine on minmus to simulate mining operations on an asteroid... You would need something like 10 kerbals (altought highly robotic ops) to take care of all the machinery and to still have a crew rested and in position in case an emergency arise.

I use the kethane mod btw...

While it's certainly not a planetary base, I built my Space Station Archangel just because I wanted a cool space station in Kerbin orbit. T'was even the first thing I did when I first got KSP; I also learned a whole lot about orbital mechanics and rendezvous and docking maneuvers while I was going about the process of building it.

But to me that makes no sense. I wouldnt put hours into a base "for because". Id like to hear what people use them for.

They give me a goal. Plus, adding a life support mod makes them especially important since they can function as waystations in faraway places.

But to me that makes no sense. I wouldnt put hours into a base "for because". Id like to hear what people use them for.

Everything in this game is "for because" until they add a career mode. What's the point of a space station? What's the point of a Mun rover?

Building things and getting them to where you want them to be is the point.

Because building off-world bases and space stations in your back yard would be silly. :D

Everything in this game is "for because" until they add a career mode. What's the point of a space station? What's the point of a Mun rover?

Building things and getting them to where you want them to be is the point.

Exactly! There really is no point in a base, except if you're high on into Kethane. :)

you can HOME in lythe

and

you can Kethane in any planet

if you play stock only... nah.. you dont want a base... they do nothing anyways

but if you play HOME/ Kethane / Extraplanetary launchpad...yes you want to set up there

just for the sake of 4-EX

expland/ explore/ exploit/ ex_____ (forgot what that is)

Exactly! There really is no point in a base, except if you're high on into Kethane. :)

HOME is harder...

I found Kethane too easy to play... you can build it light weight enough... (minmus is the best/easiest place to play kethane)

but HOME is way heavier and is more challenging

Every single thing I've done in this game so far has been "for because." I think the same is true of you too unless you found a way to play to generate food or income.

We make bases for the same reason we try to jump craters... It's fun.

The object of building planetary bases is in the accomplishment. Once you have started one on a planet you can opt to just leave it there. Or you can roll play by periodically running supply ships to imagine keeping the base sustainable. I also try to rotate crews every so often.

Its like space stations, there fun to build and design, but they really don't do anything. Hopefully this will change when career mode is out.

I don't know about your space stations but mine are built as refueling stations. Sent out ahead of main missions to aid with orbit to surface, surface to orbit, and orbit to Kerbin transfers.

you can HOME in lythe

and

but if you play HOME/ Kethane / Extraplanetary launchpad...yes you want to set up there

Explosions? Extermination?

Edited by Landge

you can HOME in lythe

and

I was going to add a storage module to my Extra-planetary Launchpad on the Mun tonight, but your mention of '4X' has piqued my interest for some 'Endless Space' tonight...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.