[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

its 08/13/2013

I just can't extract file "uploads_2013_07_NovaPunch2_02b.zip",

bad archive, can't open or extract with anything,

;.; tried several times to download again, tried linux, windows, first time to happen this, anyone else same?

I've been having the exact same thing downloading BobCat's Soviet pack from the Spaceport. I solved it by using Getright download manager (something else of the same type may work just as well, I just happen to have a license for GetRight). I think it's because single connections get cut off or something after a while and slower connections can't download the whole archive in that time. GetRight uses multiple connections on a rotation to keep the link alive I think to stop it happening.

It's a SpacePort issue, at times the server cant keep up and fails to send the right data out corrupting downloads. Just try again later it normally fixes itself after a few hours.

I think it's timing out or dropping the connection somewhere. Some really large files just will not download directly through a browser if your connection is slow at all. I tried BobCat's Soviet Pack over 20 times and every time it corrupted just before the end. GetRight downloaded it just fine but it puts more load on the SpacePort servers so I only use it for large files.

I'm getting a major memory spike with the use of this pack. For whatever reason, Novapunch uses nearly 2 GB of RAM! At first I thought it was another mod, so what I did was installed one mod at a time. With about 10 other mods installed, my game is running at about 1.6 GB RAM. With this mod installed, it's running at 3.3 GB RAM. Something is wrong here. Anyone know what's up?

I just loaded it up here; with NP installed it uses almost exactly 2GB of RAM, and 1.4ish without. This is just loading to the main title screen and progressing no further.

You might need to clean out your KSP install if its been a while, you might have old parts lurking or something.

Add 2 struts to the 5m engines to secure the engine to the tank, 90 deg apart (one to secure wobble in one direction, the other in the orthogonal direction). You might need to do this again between tanks if you have multiple tanks. Usually solves all of the wobble problems for me.

When I built a Saturn V using NP and HBI's Kerturn parts, it was too wobbly to be effective, even with struts. Of course, much of that might have to do with the paylod section and the fairings, so perhaps Procedural Fairings 2.4.1 has addressed that.

I get major wobbles on the 5m parts unless the engine gimbal is disabled. With that off, it's nice and smooth for the same craft.

http://youtu.be/-gWTjTKyHzA

Quantum Struts instead of regular struts (even the "heavy" NP ones) can also solve a lot of wobble problems.

Yeah I usually disable the gimble on my 5m engines for lift off, also stops them from going all nose divey near the end of their burn

Well, we'd be talking things made in early July of 2011, and there are still parts from then in NovaPunch, in some form.

Examples: SundayPunch made the Yawmaster pod in a very early version because the pod torque was low and some rockets needed more turning power (this was way before gimbals and RCS, so it was pod torque and winglets to control things) - You can see that Sundaypunch started his thread on July 8th: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/59 Note that it was the 59th thread ever on the forum. So thats pretty early. We split the yawmaster model up into 3 pieces and re-purposed it for NovaPunch, but the original underlying mesh is still there.

Nova also made parts, though he didn't publicly post them til the end of July. Not sure when he first made them, but they're virtually the same age as Sunday's parts; http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/946 -- Almost 900 threads from July 8th to the 23rd; so you can see that things started off pretty fast when the game went public.

Another author with parts in Novapunch is Captain slug, and his 1st part is still in the pack virtually unchanged. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/822 That thread has the large landing leg and the landing peg, and another thread on the same day has the radial parachute, which I updated to the new .Mu format, but is otherwise unchanged.

I wasn't around until September, so I don't know for sure. I know Harv's bother Moach also made a Launch Escape tower around that time, and Deusoverkill also made a new pod (he of course went on to make more things later before retiring)

There was also the Retro pack: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/485 which is pretty darned early.

There may have been some single-part mods before Wobbly rockets, but I don't recall them. Someone like Harv of Skunky might be able to give a definitive answer.

Thanks guys i will try all that was mentioned, I did try the struts , but not turning off the gimbal. Thanks for the advice. I wish we did not have to worry about strutting tanks together or engines. So when you connect two pieces they are connected solid. but im not a modder and im sure there are so many things i dont understand. I know there should be limits also. I mean strapping a 40 ton payload on top of a unbalanced rocket is just not going to work. However when two tanks or engines are connected, it should be solid IMO. this is only my opinion.

Thanks again everyone, and thank you for this mod

No its just the way KSP is designed, part of the difficulty are the soft, breakable joints between parts. Unfortunately the PhysX system they use for this has some upper limits where things get hard to manage, especially when the mass of two connected bodies differs. So something is is tuned for the normal sized parts of Stock KSP doesn't always work that great when we make big tanks like NP has, which are literally hundreds of times heavier. I'm not sure it'll ever completely be solved.

No its just the way KSP is designed, part of the difficulty are the soft, breakable joints between parts. Unfortunately the PhysX system they use for this has some upper limits where things get hard to manage, especially when the mass of two connected bodies differs. So something is is tuned for the normal sized parts of Stock KSP doesn't always work that great when we make big tanks like NP has, which are literally hundreds of times heavier. I'm not sure it'll ever completely be solved.

I understand, i knew it was something, that i had no clue about. It was just my own opinion anyway. On a good note, LOCKING the gimbal worked. it flies straight as an arrow now. Thanks for the help and advice from everyone.

Edited by viperwolf

I may try changing that engine so only the center engine gimbals to keep some steering control

That would be great - armed with the advice and experience of others, I'll try than and launch a Saturn-V'ish rocket again. It'll be nice if it doesn't do that hula, that might have been what was exacerbating the payload gyrations.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.