[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

I like the idea of upgrading NERVA..and maybe extending the line? There is a severe lack of good deepspace/low-g engines in KSP. It's either normal rocket or 900isp low thrust...no middle ground. Some decent sized radial atomics for landers would be nice too.

Maybe. Personally though Id prefer to use 4 atomic/Nerva engines that are radial and/or made for landers in place of 2 lv-n's. The problem with atomic and NERVA engines is the size. It makes building with them rather constrictive. I understand why it's done...these engines in reality would need reaction chambers. And I myself try to keep a certain amount of realism in my game. But it is a game, and lets be honest, if reality was so much fun why are we all playing games then =)

Maybe split the reaction chamber so it kinda cradles around the nozzle? Keep the look but more compact?

ive always liked the idea of the nuclear engine, but both the stock engine and the 2.5m nerva have always been way to big to be of any use to me, but a lower profile nerva as a CM engine with around 50-75 thrust, and smaller radial nervas as LEM engines would work wonders

So this is just a concept. Its not done and needs textures.

The way it works is they are twin fusion reactors that inline mounts withe radial exhausts. I did this because a radial mounted nuke engine would be almost the same size as the tank your mounting it too. Witch kind of defeats the purpose of radials.

I'm going to make 1.25 m version as well as this 2.5m one. Its big and heavy but smaller than the stock nerva height, and gets twice the thrust at slightly less fuel efficiency.

yN97tLb.jpg

Also stackable

TDnLoLN.jpg

So this is just a concept. Its not done and needs textures.

The way it works is they are twin fusion reactors that inline mounts withe radial exhausts. I did this because a radial mounted nuke engine would be almost the same size as the tank your mounting it too. Witch kind of defeats the purpose of radials.

I'm going to make 1.25 m version as well as this 2.5m one. Its big and heavy but smaller than the stock nerva height, and gets twice the thrust at slightly less fuel efficiency.

Also stackable

PERFECT!!

Better than any solution I had in my head. I'm already building new industrial landers in my head with these!

Not sure I get the point of having the nozzles sticking out to the side, rather than on the bottom where they could be in a fairing during launch.

You aren't gonna want any payload below the nuclear reactor and exhaust anyway, it'll be contaminated, so anything below it should be staged away before ignition.

Doe look cool though

Not sure I get the point of having the nozzles sticking out to the side, rather than on the bottom where they could be in a fairing during launch.

You aren't gonna want any payload below the nuclear reactor and exhaust anyway, it'll be contaminated, so anything below it should be staged away before ignition.

Doe look cool though

Yea but its very kerbal though, get read for your nuclear shower!

Also I wanted to do something different. Something that didn't really exist yet, didn't know what people would think. It does allow for some cool combinations as you can put fuel above and below it to draw from.

I was thinking of turning the doughnuts vertical and shooting the exhaust out the bottom for a more traditional configuration as well.

1b0e3Bj.jpg

be5g5lR.jpg

Would these be ~160 thrust (for the 1.25m) / 600 ISP parts half way between high efficiency (400 ISP) rocket parts and 800 ISP NERVA parts?

[Edit] Will the fusion part mean it requires electricity as well?

[Edit2] NASA CPA Fusion thruster proposal :P Although it looks more like MIF because of the containment chambers

Edited by NoMrBond

Okay I really like that one. I am convinced. :)

I would still like a traditional NERVA 2.5m engine, that serves the same purpose as the stock one but for huge interplanetary stages.

Don't get me wrong. I love the NERVA and would never see it replaced. I use it alot on large logistics ships and roving stations. Its just to big for any landing applications, not that I haven't tried. I will still use the NP 2.5 NERVA a whole lot. But that new lander engine is gonna be the standard for all my low-g industrial jumpships.

Yea but its very kerbal though, get read for your nuclear shower!

i LOL'd when i read that, engines look great for having no textures, any idea on specs tho? i am now having daydreams of a nuclear powered Apollo command module with the 2.5m and with a 1.25m nuclear lander bound for Duna and Beyond

Out of curiosity ... are there plans to add some non-nuclear engines in the 500 thrust range, kind of like a Skipper, but a little smaller?

Or is there a mod that has one I can use? The only parts pack I've really used is NP.

Basically, I'm trying to balance my TWR at liftoff to be around 1.8 for an Asparagus-style lifter to take a 31 ton payload into LKO. If I use Skippers on the boosters, the TWR is 1.94 at liftoff. If I use the smaller 1.25 meter engines, it's 1.41. The Skippers work fine, but hit terminal velocity when some fuel burns off. I'm trying to stay under terminal velocity and trying to maintain some efficiency in lifter design in terms of fuel and parts count.

Keome: There is one in Novapunch, its called the Orbital Bertha (2.5m) and it has 475 max thrust. It's really intended as a top-stage engine, but it's not so inefficient that it can't be used as booster engine.

Keome: There is one in Novapunch, its called the Orbital Bertha (2.5m) and it has 475 max thrust. It's really intended as a top-stage engine, but it's not so inefficient that it can't be used as booster engine.

:o he's not inefficient he is just right, I use that little guy all the time, plus the description about wearing a trucker hat makes me laugh every now and then :cool:

it really isnt a bad engine, its used in pretty much every rocket i make LOL, i mostly use it as a command/service module engine but every now and then it gets put to use as a booster

Its also the engine with the best description in game!! I like the little 1.25 orbital engine too, both of em are good thrust for how low-profile they are. Handy engines to say the least.

I really enjoy this mod, and i dont want to bother you with something so little. The really heavy strut is so hard to pick up again, once you place it. Most of the time i cannot grab it. I just have to ctrl z

If im the only one having this issue than just ignore, bc it may be another mod i have. The other struts from stock or other mods work fine. Is there something i can adjust?

I really enjoy this mod, and i dont want to bother you with something so little. The really heavy strut is so hard to pick up again, once you place it. Most of the time i cannot grab it. I just have to ctrl z

If im the only one having this issue than just ignore, bc it may be another mod i have. The other struts from stock or other mods work fine. Is there something i can adjust?

I believe you can open the part.cfg file [in ...Kerbal Space Program\GameData\NovaPunch2\Parts\Misc\NP_zmisc_HeavierStrut] and change

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0.0

to

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0

then it will attach like the other struts

I believe you can open the part.cfg file [in ...Kerbal Space Program\GameData\NovaPunch2\Parts\Misc\NP_zmisc_HeavierStrut] and change

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0.0

to

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0

then it will attach like the other struts

I will try this, thank you so much

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.