[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

So, I think our brains were just playing with us, the Medium and Large Bertha engines look like they have for a while now, though they DID have bigger bells back in the early versions of SIDR, they\'ve been this way long before we started NovaPunch:

0SrhS.png

lJHbW.png

screenshot from a few pages back

Anyway I have finally got the vernier pod working properly, no more damage to things below it.

I also added a Heavy strut to help with wobblyness (its just a config edit of the default one, with a slightly dark texture)

New version coming shortly, and then we can reset and see what else might need tweaked.

Edit:

Uploading now, here\'s the changelog:

NovaPunch v0.8alpha

-This is a bugfix release for compatibility with KSD verion 0.13 - all previous save files are no longer valid

-Be warned that the next version may come with renamed parts to add an NP prefix for sorting, which would again invalidate saves made in this version. Keep an eye on the forum thread for updates

-Fixed short 3m tank - it had a broken collider mesh that failed in the new loader for 0.13

-Fixed Space Shuttle Booster collision mesh, which was mis-aligned since last version

-Updated Vernier pod with the new liquidVector config, it now thrusts at 30 degrees by default and will no longer burn anything below it. Gimbal range is now 29 degrees to keep it just short of vertical thrust on the extreme

-All liquid tanks can now be placed radially to another surface, to allow for external tanks using the new Fueline part from KSP 0.13

-Added a Heavy strut piece (config file edit of default strut) to counter-act the new weakness in the default strut - hopefully a stopgap measure.

Known Issues: Various reports of wobbliness and bad connections - the issue with the 1.75 tanks and engines still exist and may be causing most of it. PLEASE post screenshots or videos of troubled crafts - save files are okay too.

Well my superheavy lander can make it to the moon again!

Thanks for the heavy struts they fixed the issues I was having.

Now I am working on a 7 3m tank first stage, where there are 6 3m tanks as strapons with 7 engines each.

42 x LV-T30

7 x LV-T45 (for guidance)

When the 6 strapons are done burning the main tank still has a full load of fuel because of the new Fuel line part!!

I\'ve been messing around with this pack, had an issue though.

The Verniers cause one hell of an oscillation buildup as stock, so I\'ve nuked the thrust, fuel consumption and gimbal range significantly. The result is a rocket that doesn\'t wobble like the crazy guy on the corner.

CFG values in the spoiler.

maxThrust = 12.5

minThrust = 0

dryMass = 0.1

heatProduction = 50

fuelConsumption = 0.25

//thrustCenter = -0.25, 0.07, 0

//thrustCenter was not implemented for liquids in KSP 0.13)

thrustVector = 0, 0.87, 0.50

thrustVectoringCapable = True

gimbalRange = 6

Do the verniers provide enough control input with less thrust and range?

If not, I could make a heavier radial engine like the ones from CaptainSlug\'s pack

Glad the heavy struts helped the wobbliness - is everything flying alright now?

Do the verniers provide enough control input with less thrust and range?

If not, I could make a heavier radial engine like the ones from CaptainSlug\'s pack

Glad the heavy struts helped the wobbliness - is everything flying alright now?

They provide more then enough for this beast.

uses Nova punch, FAILcon and stock part and tiberion packs if I remember correctly.

Four on the lower stage with all non gimbaling engines. I don\'t need any RCS at all to keep it stable.

Also, night launches ftw

Forgot the modified coupling, its actually a higher power but its labeled low power because I was using it for missle launches.

NVM< it was only stock decoupler struts, but it has a slight issue of not kicking the tanks off far enough, this one will do that if you want to replace the couplers for the drop tanks so they don\'t kill your rocket.

Well, if they work on that big of a rocket, I can certainly tone them down. Thanks for testing that out.

I\'ve been working on a Omni-Bertha replacer engine, so Nova can use Omni for the N1 again.

Decided to try out the same style of engine for now, though I am not sure I like it too much. Thoughts?

TqNSN.png

XCJj8.png

It looks okay, I\'d have to see how it performs.

Also, you only need four on the bottom stage and they can keep it pointing in the right direction until you put it too far over then it\'ll tip like it should Veriniers should only be able to keep you on track, not keep a completely unstable rocket from tipping.

Guest GroundHOG-2010

I would think that although it looks good, you should try another design and hold a vote, to see which one people like. Eather that or choose which one you like yourself.

Break them up into 19 separate engines

I\'m seeing a 12 on the outside, and a 7 on the inside...

How about making it into smaller pieces?

I\'m thinking...

-\'core\' 7-slot adapter (like in kw\'s pack, which has 6-sided symmetry for the outer slots)

-\'sleeve\' 12-slot adapter (arranged in 3 x 4-sided symmetry, so we can apply engines easier)

-smaller engines (to be put on the adapters)

This way, the user(s) could potentially use other engines to create the Mega Bertha cluster, with variable explosive results.

Another idea would be

-core 7

-side-mountable 3-engine \'sleeve\' (use 4-sided symmetry to complete the look)

the core 7 could be 2 meter, and plus the \'sleeve\' could be 3 meter.

I can\'t make it where you place the individual engines, it just wouldn\'t play nice with the game - try out the 7x adapter in NP already, it causes heat issues and lags pretty bad on my end.

I think I can turn the engine into a mounting piece though, and have 2 engine 'clusters' that attach to it, the inner engines in one cluster, which could also be used on a smaller stage, and then outer '12' ring.

You might only use the outer ring if the engine is a 2nd stage (satur style) or use both if its a heavy lifter.

Need to see if the collision meshes will line up properly to make this work, otherwise we just get more wobble. :P

Game doesn\'t support that yet Squid. When it does I am going to be pretty damn happy.

The trick is in pounding what the game already supports to look like what you want it to.

Like the Noyuz expanding solar panels, signal flares, and Kerbalnauts, to name but a few.

Yes, new code might have to be written into the game to make them work perfectly, but if it looks good enough for now, it\'s good enough.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.