[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

Try deleting your persistence files. It seems to want to load a part that has changed and it\'s getting a null reference error trying to access the files.

I can say for sure that the NovaPunch pack works just fine in 0.15.2.

Cheers!

Capt\'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

Enrad:

You\'re running into the recurring 'out of memory' error which is causing KSP to crash; it\'s not the fault of NovaPunch or KW other than the fact that are both large mod packs that use a lot of memory.

The firs thing you should try is to go into graphical settings and turning down some settings, especially terrain detail, and see if you have any better luck.

You can also post a topic in the regular support forum, we\'ve been gathering info about the system specs that are affected. Follow This Thread\'s advice on gathering the information we need.

You mean Zippyshare? I should be entirely safe, it works like the major filesharing sites out there like mediafire and such, and tends to have the exact same advertisements in rotation as well (though less of them, actually.)

You can of course secure yourself when visiting any of these sites by using Adblocker and NoScript addons for your browser of choice.

Sadly, Novapunch is too popular to utilize Dropbox anymore, the amount of hits causes my dropbox account to shut down within a few days of a release.

I found Zippyshare on a recommended list of filehosts and evaluated them a bit before choosing them, I am really confident its as safe as Mediafire or anything similar.

Oh yeah, that is one of the rotating banner ads, we sadly get those on the banner ad here on the forums, too. The correct one is definitely the orange square button to the right of the filename.

I\'d really, really love to use this mod because it looks amazing, but even with all the graphical settings set to minimal, it still crashes every time I get to the launch pad with the \'out of memory\' error.

I don\'t want to sound rude, but if I can run Battlefield 3 on full graphics settings alongside Chrome with 30 something tabs open, watch a movie, listen to music in Winamp and have 6 different IM programs up and running at once without any of them suffering problems, then I don\'t think it\'s my PC that\'s the problem.

Please remember, we\'re running desktops here. Not server stacks or Supercrays. =\

I\'d really, really love to use this mod because it looks amazing, but even with all the graphical settings set to minimal, it still crashes every time I get to the launch pad with the \'out of memory\' error.

I don\'t want to sound rude, but if I can run Battlefield 3 on full graphics settings alongside Chrome with 30 something tabs open, watch a movie, listen to music in Winamp and have 6 different IM programs up and running at once without any of them suffering problems, then I don\'t think it\'s my PC that\'s the problem.

Please remember, we\'re running desktops here. Not server stacks or Supercrays. =\

Actually, I think the problem is on your end. I use a 1½ year old mid range laptop and it runs perfectly well for me on default graphics setting. A little laggy around Kerbin, but that seems to be a general problem for most users no matter what parts they use.

Actually, I think the problem is on your end. I use a 1½ year old mid range laptop and it runs perfectly well for me on default graphics setting. A little laggy around Kerbin, but that seems to be a general problem for most users no matter what parts they use.

Well, like I said man I can run BF3, 30 tabs of Chrome, watch a movie in WMP and listen to music in Winamp all at the same time no problem. =\

But the error reports from KSP I get show that KSP eats all my RAM and tells me: 'Not enough.' Well, I assume that\'s what it implied when it says 'Read from location 00000000 caused an access violation.'

KSP is a huge memory hog. I\'ve got 4GB of RAM and get a similar problem when using those packs together. Try getting a low res version of KW pack textures (they don\'t look much worse than default ones) and remove redundant and useless parts.

Somebody once mentioned a bug where KSP only used 2GB of memory, regardless of how much more it actually had, though I don\'t know if it\'s still present.

I see, I\'ll look into that. It\'s weird, I managed to get one of the preloaded Novapunch ships to work, but when I made my own that just had a single Novapunch command capsule, parachute, decoupler, single fuel tank and rocket the game crashes...

And yet I can make overly complex ships with the KSP vanilla parts into a 18 stage orbiting satellite drop and mun lander rocket all in one and the game has almost no problem. (big drop in frame rate for about 20 seconds from the moment of engine ignition) But that\'s because I\'m running like 40 solid fuel rockets for the first stage.

I see, I\'ll look into that. It\'s weird, I managed to get one of the preloaded Novapunch ships to work, but when I made my own that just had a single Novapunch command capsule, parachute, decoupler, single fuel tank and rocket the game crashes...

And yet I can make overly complex ships with the KSP vanilla parts into a 18 stage orbiting satellite drop and mun lander rocket all in one and the game has almost no problem. (big drop in frame rate for about 20 seconds from the moment of engine ignition) But that\'s because I\'m running like 40 solid fuel rockets for the first stage.

That happens with every ship launched. It\'s just the terrain loading under you which is a bit of a memory hog. Try keeping your camera pointed to the sky so you can\'t see the ground. That seems to work for me most of the time.

We\'re actually still trying to gather information on crashes occurring in 0.15.2 with that error, its not a symptom of of the mod pack, just that the game is running into memory usage issues (Remember, its an alpha with next to zero optimization)

If you can add details to this post: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=13519.0

Specifically your dxdiag file, output and crash logs. With luck, the devs will spot something that is causing this to happen.

I\'m having trouble keeping a 2m rocket with a TD-0120 4X 2 meter engine at the bottom from breaking up on the pad - the engine\'s connections aren\'t strong enough.

Could you take a look at the numbers?

Tiberion, I used the fixes you gave me in IRC, it doesn\'t break of nearly as easily anymore.

It still dances quite a lot, from past fixes that\'s usually a collider mesh/attach point thing.

A few other things I noticed (by now you ougtha know \'few\' means wall of text). Lots of staging issues in prebuilts, I guess the staging order fixes in recent versions messed up all kinds of things:

• [li]As I mentioned in IRC, the staging on the pre-built Ares is messed up. ???[/li]

• [li]The 1.24m-><X>m fairing adapter plates used for the Odin say \'adatper\' in the description :-[[/li]

• [li]The bigger ones of the above fairings, 1.75m and 2m, could do with increased force maybe. There\'s no telling what size rocket you\'re going to use each on - my rockets that use the 1m are generally taller and thus put more force upon the adapter on spinthrust, the problem is its impossible to strut the big ones to the part below if you use the size parts its designed for. The 1.25m->1m you can strut from below and so its not such an issue. With the 1.25m->1.75m and 1.25m->2m I have to be very careful to no turning whatsoever while thrusting with strong engines, or the adapters just shear off the rest of the rocket.[/li]

• [li] If there\'s any free nodes, the 1m->1.75m decoupler could do with a node for the K2-X engine. The 1m->2m and 1m->3m already have it.[/li]

• [li] The \'short\' 3m tank on the NP_Superheavy is attached to the wrong node on the decoupler above it - although upon trying to fix it it flickers between them and sticking it to the right one is a bit of a repeat process. Staging is a little messed up here too - both first and single stage tanks are in the bottom stage, which doesn\'t impair functionality of anything but ... also one of the decouplers is in the same stage as the engines below it. Fairings stage in a strange place too :)[/li]

• [li]OdinLauncher has a tank at the wrong attachment and the Odin vehicle itself is split over 4 stages for some reason.[/li]

• [li]Launch Escape Test. Just open it and look at where things are in the staging order. ???[/li]

• [li]The Bearcat 5x turns any rocket into a belly dancer. It doesn\'t break, but by god the thing will positively sashay. Also, it has gimballing, but a gimbal range of 0.1, which is useless ... in the interest of the more casual player, either kill the gimballing or put at the 0.8 we\'re used to by the quad 3m and matriarch, please. :D[/li]

• [li]The matriarch is belly dancing too, and since its so short it dances really fast! :D[/li]

I have those added to the list to look into.

For bullet #3, do you mean the breakingforce?

not sure what is up with the staging, they are fine in my releasebuild folder here, I\'ll doublecheck the files in the zip. Make sure you updated from 1.2a\'s craft files?

Also, the Launch Escape System is configured as the name suggests, to show an example of how the escape tower works; You should 'float' the 2nd stage which has the decoupler+booster up just before each stage change (meaning it would be the next to fire if any stage were to fail) - when you reach the stage with the tower decoupler, you should be in a partial orbit and it\'s time to eject the system. It\'s a pain doing it manually, but its actually fairy \'realistic\' once you understand it.

-------------------

Unrelated note, I have discovered an issue with the Odin Fuel tank; it is suffering from the 'multi-coupler' fuel node issue in that only 1 of 4 engines are using fuel, making it far too powerful.

Here is the fix so you can apply it locally if the balance matters to you, otherwise it will be fixed in the next NP version (which may be a while, I am getting behind and badly need to spend some time on TiberDyne)

Open NP_OdinFuelTank and then part.cfg in that folder.

Find:

// --- node definitions ---

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.0809, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.11, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

node_stack_tankL = 0.2664, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0

node_stack_tankR = -0.2664, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0

node_stack_tankU = 0, 0, 0.2664, 0, 1, 0, 0

node_stack_tankD = 0, 0, -0.2664, 0, 1, 0, 0

Replace with:

// --- node definitions ---

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.0809, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.11, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

node_stack_bottomL = 0.2664, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0

node_stack_bottomR = -0.2664, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0

node_stack_bottomU = 0, 0, 0.2664, 0, 1, 0, 0

node_stack_bottomD = 0, 0, -0.2664, 0, 1, 0, 0

and then add:

// keeps fuel from flowing FROM the bottom nodes (prevents stack imbalances and such)

NoCrossFeedNodeKey = bottom

at the bottom of the cfg file. Save the file.

That should do it.

Or you can download the attached file, if you\'re lazy or just love copying files. Replaces Parts/NP_OdinFuelTank/part.cfg

For bullet #3, do you mean the breakingforce?

Yeah, normal and torque.

They\'re hard to fasten on with struts unless you practice advanced strut bondage.

About the Odin, how long will it take you to increase the size of the leg\'s colliders? In every situation where I\'ve landed one on either moon, the legs sink through or I bounce (even with 0.5m/s descent via mechjeb), and they\'re so small that 0.16 (whenever that comes) may or may not fix it.

I\'ve got what may or may not be a new problem going here... just installed NovaPunch 1.2B on my fresh install of 0.15 that I set up purely for NP, and when I try and load the game, it just stops dead on a random part while loading, and the debug window tells me something about 'the part that you wish to instantiate is null!' and drops a Null Reference Exception on me. Anyone got a clue on this one?

Well 1.2b was a bugfix for 0.15.1, though I can\'t think of any reason why it wouldn\'t work in 0.15.0.

Have you tried patching up to 15.2?

Otherwise sounds like you may need to redownload the NP file and reinstall.

Based on my experiences, you have too many parts. This causes memory shortages, which is apparently a routine issue with 0.15.X...

Ok, I took away most that weren\'t part of the pack but it still gets stuck.

I think snes is having the same problem I was; hitting the Patcher to update to 0.15.2 solved the issue. Now I\'ve gotta redownload it to replace the 1.75m SRB parts I deleted when I thought it was a part glitch... :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.