[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

I must congratulate you guys for this pack. It\'s a MARVELLOUS complement to the vanilla game, very wonderful. This pack combined with KW\'s engines and the lander leg makes for a game which feels almost complete, parts wise. Quite balanced, too. Using the aforementioned parts (only 2 KW\'s so it\'s negligible, one is the 2m Vixen the other the 40 thrust one, and one fuel tank from there which I used because of the increased weight, which I found useful for Mun landings because of more negligible velocity changes), I managed to make a non-wobbly rocket that flies straight with ASAS using only engine gymbal (if requested, will make a tutorial).

Seriously, this is noted as a MUST in my list now. Good job.

PS: Expect a few models to complete this pack soon.

Glad you\'re enjoying it.

Of course kudos for the awesomeness for this pack goes to NovaSilisko and Sundaypunch since they created the original parts, we\'re mostly just performing some tweaks and cleanup.

New models are most welcome! (I am trying to only replace things, and not add since there are so many parts already, but there were a few things missing)

Today\'s project is another replacement/tweaked model for the tiny 4-nozzle 1m engine:

fZPGK.jpg

The GG-M4 is now a GG-M5 :)

You need to add more flavour to the engines. Sunday punch did this with a lot of his (Like the 1m M-50 Engine was powerful but horrifically fuel inefficient, the tiny 1m engine had good fuel efficiency but terrible thrust, And the K2-X was low weight but reasonable power and effeciency, making it better for upper stages) but you seem to have reverted a lot of them to following the stock engines fuel consumption and weight/power statistics to the point that some are now bordering on overpowered (the M-50, notably so becuase of its tiny size). And most of them, sadly, fairly redundant.

edit: also the larger fuel tanks need toning down a bit, I just managed to get a rocket to do a TLI from the ground in a single stage. Which is fairly overpowered considering I now have the remaining three stages to land and get home :v

Otherwise, a nice rocket pack!!

I\'m not coming from a realism point of view here, I\'m coming from a gameplay one. Having to pick between various types of engines makes rocket designing more fun instead of just 'well I need to get mass x into orbit so I will use engine Y because it has the correct thrust'.

Well I haven\'t begun any balancing measures yet, what IKAO does is standardize things.

Right now they all have roughly the same efficiency as the stock engine, and the tanks are just scaled by volume.

So its currently good for bypassing the 'huge stacks of tanks' of the stock parts, but it also reveals how (un)well those parts are balanced.

Defiinitely need more feedback from everyone on how you feel things work.

I could go super-strict and adopt the Silisko edition ratios, or I can do some small tweaks for playability and wait for whatever standard the stock parts eventually adopt (since Harv has mentioned adding more parts soon)

This is one of the main reasons I have this labeled \'Alpha\' - lots of testing to do yet.

If you didn\'t notice, here\'s the spreadsheet for comparing what changes were made. They weren\'t as big as you might thing, engine wise, those the big tanks jumped in volume and weight: Spreadsheet

I put this into an orbit around Kearth with just 4 of those small tanks and 4 400lb engines. I had a big tank of fuel left to get out of orbit and back to land/water. I burned something like 3/8 of that tank to get back into Kearth, I ejected the tank at 1000m and landed. If that isn\'t efficient I dont know what is.

I went into the old parts folder and grabbed my favorite parts and dropped those into NovaPunch\'s revised parts, so far the strut doesn\'t work with the larger parts. :\'( I\'ve got lots of folders of Silisko\'s parts that I\'ll be dropping in as well, it can\'t hurt to have moar!!!

screenshot6fcy.th.png

Bob and Bill are terrified :stirpot:

I havent added anything for RCS or landing on the Mun, baby steps first.

You can keep publishing the pack, but I don\'t want my models or textures to be in it anymore. Things here have strayed from the original intent of just a rebalance. You can do what you want to Sunday\'s parts, those are out of my realm. Besides, those models are actually good...

I know I said the GG-M4 should be remodeled, but just remodel all of them now since I really don\'t like the whole idea anymore.

Edit: no one needs to read that, I was being silly.

I\'ll restate this part: I like SIDR, and I did this to keep it fresh and relevant. I respect their authors work, and hope to one day produce something of my own as worthy.

Nothing to see here, move along. :P

Can the forum newbie around these parts say a word or two about the situation? I hope so.

Intelligent, creative people who dedicate their time and energy to producing something for the enjoyment of others are some of my favorite people. I like what they do. I like talking to them. I like being around them.

Unfortunately, these same intelligent, creative people are almost always extremely harsh critics of their own work. Especially when they\'ve moved on from some project and started producing something new; something that improves on the old work. When this happens, they feel disgusted that the earlier work is still out there, and people are still looking at it, talking about it.

I know. I\'ve made mods and texture packs and videos and whatnot. The early attempts are flat-out embarrassing to my eyes. And people keep telling me they like them. I look at them and only see all the newbie mistakes and bad compromises I made. But the reason people like them is because those early projects were actually good, never mind that I can do better now.

NovaSilisko, the work is good. It was good when you first put it together. It\'s still good now. Tiberion, your work is good. This has been a good start to what will be a great pack of parts.

Can I suggest both parties take a day, or a few days, or however long is needed? Think it out calmly and decide exactly what you will and will not allow to be done with these very good models. Don\'t decide anything about it while either one of you is upset.

Thus endeth the totally unsolicited advice from the newbie you don\'t know anything about.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.