How many kerbals have you killed already?

Spitfiredzwww

I lost Bill like this, while doing an apollo style Mun landing, Bill stayed in the CM while Bob and Jeb landed.. while they were landing the CM mysteriously simply vanished(despawned) along with Bill.

This shouldn't happen, they should only despawn if in atmosphere. Something's wrong there.

I lost three today. On a mission to rescue Bartbus (he had the bad-S tag), who I had drunkenly stranded on the moon (don't drink and fly, folks), I had successfully retrieved him and returned them to Kerbin. I unfortunately failed to account for planetary rotation (again, I can "blame" alcohol, but it's really my fault), causing the pod not to quite make it over the mountains west of KSC, leading to the pod fatally tumbling down the side of the newly steepened slopes...

In one fell swoop, I lost a bad-S, my dumbest and most corageous, and my smartest and most cowardly.

So is it just not possible to split a ship into two separate parts like that? Mostly, I'm curious if you would have been able to do this if you had staged it differently or something.

Well, if he left the CM below despawn altitude it would've gone the instant he got more than 2km away from it. If the orbit it was on dropped below despawn altitude at some point, it would've despawned when it got to that point unless focused.

On Kerbin at least the despawn altitude is 20km, I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere or varies per planet or what. Technically you can have a stable orbit around the mun at 20km (no atmo), so if it's that low for the mun it's kinda dumb.

And as for the 'difficulty' thing, they added a setting, intended as a difficulty option (presumably for career mode, where I suspect hiring new kerbalnauts might cost money or something), that makes death permanent. it defaults to off (meaning by default 'dead' kerbals respawn after some time, how long is unknown), and there's no in-game UI yet to change the setting (Presumably because it's for career mode), but you can manually flip it by hacking the persistence file.

So far I've set up a fuel depot around Kerbin in one save, and done 3 Mun landings.

Not a single death. I think 11 Kerbals in total have been launched.

The last Mun landing I did was special. We actually landed sideways, on a hill. Still managed to take off and get back to Kerbin.

1 Jeb. He decided to ride a SRB. He's currently being glued back together, just 55,532 pieces of him left to glue back on. Space missions are far and few between of lately as all the pilots are trying to glue Jeb back together.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.