Navigation lights?

This is definitely a "would be nice" feature and not a "must have", but I think rendezvous and docking would be slightly easier if we had versions of aircraft navigation lights.

Right now I use the mk.2 Illuminators to light up docking adaptors but that's a bit on the overkill side... and the time I accidentally used mk.1s was a nightmare of wash-out. If there were dimmer, coloured lights like those used on aircraft (red= port/left, green=right/starboard) it'd mark locations just as well without the glare and flare. (And if they're colour coded as above, it'd help with orientation even more.)

There are already dimmer versions in-game on the batteries and reaction wheels, so it's doable; I just don't know how much of a hit the graphics engine would take by implementing brighter and user-placed versions.

(We can do without the anti-collision strobe, though, thank you very much. Distracting, and its function is already filled by the HUD marking out nearby objects.)

-- Steve

PS: to my surprise, Wikipedia says a version of nav lights has already been approved for civil space applications. Hunh.

As said there is an add on, although I'd welcome some more lights in stock. I'd really like to see more streamlined lights that we have now and also more parts having lights built in like the landing gear. Adding orientation lights to docking ports would be a great start.

As said there is an add on, although I'd welcome some more lights in stock. I'd really like to see more streamlined lights that we have now and also more parts having lights built in like the landing gear. Adding orientation lights to docking ports would be a great start.

Small Kerbals' headlights sized lights for use with unmaned rovers would be nice! :cool:

I think it would be cool if you had placable lights like the ones on the small radial batteries, except in a few more colors and sizes. In some of Scott Manly's videos, he used those battery lights around docking ports so that it's easier to see them in the dark; it would be great to have this functionality represented in the stock parts.

I think it would be cool if you had placable lights like the ones on the small radial batteries, except in a few more colors and sizes. In some of Scott Manly's videos, he used those battery lights around docking ports so that it's easier to see them in the dark; it would be great to have this functionality represented in the stock parts.

I agree, with the addition that it should flash when the docking port is set to target or control from here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.