The Virgo Mun Landers

Warshawski

Developed in the Gulf commonwealth of the United States of Kerbmerica, the Virgo series of Mun rockets pushed the little green Kerbs to the moon and (eventually) safely returned them home, much to the disappointment of explosion-lovers everywhere.

The mission in the pictures was conducted with the use of the Virgo II Space Beamer. Next up in my list of missions to conduct is the Virgo III Base Depositor. Enjoy.

I did a few orbits of the Mun, trying to find a good spot. Eventually I said 'Screw it' and went for the best piece of nearly flat munscape. But yeah, miscalculations... I guess. All of my munshots take that long. I\'ve got 10000x warp, no hurry.

Oh RCS landers, you so silly.

Agreed.

Your pod (not to mention your vectored landing thruster) easily have enough rotational force to move that much mass. those RCS tanks just become deadweight. Unless you wanted to remove the vector thrusters entirely and just get off the moon and back to kerbin using only RCS (which is possible, I\'ve done it). But I prefer not to.

Well, my Silisko Edition landing thruster doesn\'t even have enough power to slow me down when heading for the Mun surface - I find that my RCS has more than enough, and so I use it. It\'s far easier than going for a lander-engine landing. Once I get free of gravity, the landing engine is useful again, as I head back for Kerbin (and start burning in reverse about halfway through, as it\'s very easy to get up into system escape velocity on landing engine and thruster power).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.