Recovering Boosters, stages

Hi all,

First of all I apologise if this is a stupid question, however I have been searching for a couple of hours but can't find an answer.

I have built a lifter that can take ~25t to 100km orbit around Kerbin.

The first (Booster) stage has 4x (4 story) solid boosters from the KW Rocketry mod, which jettison each with a parachute on top.

These jettison at about 8km in height.

Pressing F3 does not show any damage reports.

My question is, how do I find out if these boosters landed softly enough to be recovered?

There seems to be no mission update about them if I abort or wait and hit F3 later.

Also I can't stick a probe core on them and switch to them as my main ship is still climbing.

If I wait till orbit then go to the Space Centre then I can see no sign of the boosters.

The only thing selectable is the launch clamps.

I have seen peoples screenshots from KSC showing their own boosters gently floating to earth, so it must be possible.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by pantbash

When you have any craft in the atmosphere, (I think it is under 35km?) the game loads any craft that are up to 2.5km away ( they have to be in flight, or some sort of trajectory) this is to prevent EXTREME lag that can occur with multiple craft around the solar system. when something is moving and you reach 2.5km away from it, it automatically deletes it, for example, you're booster drop of at 8km, say, by the time you have reached 11km you're boosters are now 2.5km away ( guestimating here) so the game automatically 'ends flight' for each of you're 4 boosters, and to prove this, watch the boosters fall off and disappear. a way to overcome this is to install a mod by Romfarer called the "Lazor" Mod, with this you can change the distance of which you're craft load at.

I think you can also add a probe module to each of your boosters and use a stack separator to detach stage if You don`t want to use any mods. Separated crafts won`t dissapear.

They will in atmosphere. Anything that moves out of the 2.5km sphere from your controlled craft while inside atmosphere gets deleted - even if it has Kerbals onboard.

Anything that moves out of the 2.5km sphere from your controlled craft while inside atmosphere gets deleted - even if it has Kerbals onboard.

So I'm wasting time/money/mass putting parachutes on my SRBs then*... oh well. Good to know.

-- Steve

* my designs tend to separate SRBs at about 5000m

They will in atmosphere. Anything that moves out of the 2.5km sphere from your controlled craft while inside atmosphere gets deleted - even if it has Kerbals onboard.

Not quite true.

Anything under 25km and outside the 2.5km sphere gets deleted.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.