Weka Lifeboat Spaceplane released - Kergin Galactic Spaceplane update soon!

Lunniy Korabl

screenshot7.jpg

I have been playing with concepts for a service/docking module for weka. Just need to model some new stuff, been having far too much fun playing with other people\'s mods. This concept wet workshop module was put together using white monkey kitchenware and truss parts.

Vlad has also done an amazing rebalance and feathered re-entry using landing leg parts on the kergin galactic spaceplane. I have been very slack, but hopefully one of us will be able to release that soon as well!

When 0.15 (or 0.16) comes, where do you think the docking module should be on Weka ?

Because i like the idea of having one in a cargo bay, then really transfering crew to it !

It\'s a cute model, easy to fly and resistant, good job !

When 0.15 (or 0.16) comes, where do you think the docking module should be on Weka ?

Because i like the idea of having one in a cargo bay, then really transfering crew to it !

It\'s a cute model, easy to fly and resistant, good job !

I\'m actually hoping for a 'Spinal' mount in which the WEKA is attached either to a ventral position or a dorsal position... or would have its own 'Module' that it would be a part of until launched, like the Captains Yacht was for the Enterprise D and E in Star Trek. Probably be too difficult to do considering that the WEKA would still have to function as a separate entity to be useable as a lifeboat and not suffer the usual 'Boom' problems you get when parts try to occupy the same space as other parts at the same time.

I found one small problem though. If you detach the linear aerospike from the tank/body, it will not attach itself anymore, nor can anything be attached to the bottom of the tank.

That is weird, I thought it must be a bug with the craft file being pre 0.14, but making a new craft file causes exactly the same bug. No idea what causes it. You can fix it by deleting the fuel tank and adding it back in again, otherwise just try not to pull the engine off after saving it!

I\'m actually hoping for a 'Spinal' mount in which the WEKA is attached either to a ventral position or a dorsal position...

I like the cut of your jib! Now does anyone know how to make a radial decoupler not disappear after decoupling? Ideally the docking tunnel would stay on the discarded part (space station) rather than vanishing into thin air like the standard decoupler does. I suppose I could make an invisible coupler and put the mesh on the docking/service module, but I like the idea that people can radially couple weka to anything they want. I don\'t know what I was talking about, it works just fine (see the new sig!) I guess I accidentally hit it with rocket exhaust in my first couple of tests.

Untitled-4.png

One small thing. Could you change the colour of the crosses on the body and fins to f.i. white. The difference in colour of the crosses with that of the hull is so slight that that detail is very hard to spot (which is a shame i.m.h.o.).

I can honestly say the Weka is a life-saver! When attempting to put my Kubble telescope in orbit around my beautiful planet, i accidentally grouped the ejecting of the top fairings with the activation of my final maneuvering stage. Cue fairings getting wedged in the fuel tank and everything exploding.... \'Cept the Weka. That beautiful point piece of metal handled beautifully, much better than the AUSplane during re-entry in my opinion. The thing guided my kerbanaut victims volunteers to perfect safety just east of the KSC. Bravo to you for its excellent construction.

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance on converting part of the Kergin Galactic to a lifting body? Or at least adding some attachment points to the ends of the tailfins so I can attach my own decouplers + parachutes?

here\'s my attempt, but the video cuts short due to the fact that they just slam in to the ground at about 200mph :(

When docking is implemented I plan to have 4 of these life boats ready to go at any moment in case of catastrophe :).

Same here !

We would need an 'Evacuation' plugin : push a button, and all crew is put in escape crafts and are sent a few lightyears kilometers away =P

• 1 month later...

I still use this for the last stage of my Space Stations! mostly because I suck at landing anything that doesn\'t have parachutes... or in the case of the Weka, is cockroach-like in its ability to survive abuse!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know the question was asked a few months ago, but is there any chance that this mod will be updated to .16... and if so will the cockpit be available as a non-command module part? It would be great to have this attached to my station or even starliner as a last ditch escape pod.

mackinhow, It's been ages since the post before yours, and Lunniy Korabl seems to be too busy to update this add-on.

I am going to close this and I suggest you PM Lunniy Korabl and ask him yourself, if he wants to continue this, he can PM any Moderator to reopen the thread.

Oh, and necroposting is frowned upon mate :)