Anybody else here see the Apollo 11 landing live?

Gus

I remember it well. In Fact it is one of the first TV events I do remember well. I was about to turn 6 in a couple of weeks, and was at my grandmothers house. She called me in from playing outside to watch the landing. Later that night we went back outside and looked at the moon (what there was of it, it was a pretty small crescent that night). I have other vague memories of TV at the time, but that is the earliest specific event that comes to mind.

Watched the Command Module swing around the moon on a telescope too.

Uhm...I'm not even sure that's possible with todays telescopes let alone one from the late sixties. You sure about that? I have an 11 inch CPC and the smallest thing I can resolve on the moon is the size of a football stadium.

Uhm...I'm not even sure that's possible with todays telescopes let alone one from the late sixties. You sure about that? I have an 11 inch CPC and the smallest thing I can resolve on the moon is the size of a football stadium.

The same way you can see an Iridium sat flare with the naked eye. What they watched was a sun flare off the command module.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

The same way you can see an Iridium sat flare with the naked eye. What they watched was a sun flare off the command module.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

Well that is really cool I did not know that was possible. Had to be so small though Idk how anyone could've seen it. Iridium flares are in LEO so there fairly close. And how big was the CM? Size of a mini van? Im not douting what your saying just trying to understand how its possible. Was it a full moon that night? I can see it heppening on the darkside, but not washed out in the glare of the moons dayside.

Well, im 13 - It would be nice that withing our lifetimes (collective "our") that we really cared about exploring. Everyone goes:

"90% of the ocean hasn't been explored and blah blah blah"

But do we get the excitement from looking at the blue - For one minute in the whole of mankind's war-torn history, we stopped fighting, we stopped arguing, hell, we nearly stopped trembling about superpower politics. One man changed history yet an army of people helped him there. For one minute, we all looked up at the grey sphere and thought about what we can achieve. So I look up now as the Moon rises and I'm actually able to see it and I think about all that this world suffers from - I think to myself

Why can't we just do it for humanity?

The moon is an interesting place for science and stuff but look at what it does to people. It unites them which leads me to where I leave off

Why can't we be united again.

We'll never be.

Edited by DJEN

Irrelevant to this post, but I saw a satellite fly above my head once.

Go outside an hour after sundown or before sunrise when the stars come out. You should see atleast one every 10 minutes. One a minute if you have dark skies. Sometimes more.

Go outside an hour after sundown or before sunrise when the stars come out. You should see atleast one every 10 minutes. One a minute if you have dark skies. Sometimes more.

Not where I live you wouldn't...

If it isn't cloudy, you're limited to just the major stars, and not even all of them. Some of the constellations aren't even entirely visible (Cygnus, for example).

As for the moon landing, well...my dad was 9 and my mom was 6.

Best I've got is that I saw Mir and the Shuttle go over once...

I remember my mother sitting me and my sister down in front of the TV and telling us how we were watching history unfold. I was 4 at the time. She said the world would never be the same again. Some years later, my dad signed me out of school to help him deliver a TV he had repaired for one of his customers. We drove to a farm in Lebanon, Ohio and carried the TV into the house. I stood there, wordless and in complete awe as the owner of the farm shook my hand and introduced himself as Neil Armstrong. While Mr. Armstrong didn't live at the farm, his parents did, and he would often come into town to visit. I will never forget that day.

I wasn't alive in 1969 by a long shot, but I just went to the Space and Rocket museum in Huntsville, AL today and I got to see the Saturn V in all it's gigantic glory. It was utterly massive, especially considering my mere 5'7.5" height. :sticktongue:

Just need to upload the picture to imgur once I get home! :D

I remember my mother sitting me and my sister down in front of the TV and telling us how we were watching history unfold. I was 4 at the time. She said the world would never be the same again. Some years later, my dad signed me out of school to help him deliver a TV he had repaired for one of his customers. We drove to a farm in Lebanon, Ohio and carried the TV into the house. I stood there, wordless and in complete awe as the owner of the farm shook my hand and introduced himself as Neil Armstrong. While Mr. Armstrong didn't live at the farm, his parents did, and he would often come into town to visit. I will never forget that day.

Idk Flamedsteak this ones got my vote.

Yeah, I watched it live on TV from Seattle. I always regret not driving to Florida and watching one of the moon launches. But I was an apprentice electrician with a wife and two young boys. No excuse for not seeing the shuttle launch except I am living in Norway now, so a bit far to travel. Well, now I get to build my own rockets. Thanks Squad. Oh, btw, I was on vacation in Washington D.C., and was at the National Air and Space Museum and got to see Buzz Aldrin. Fantastic. Last time I saw him was stepping off the LEM.

Idk Flamedsteak this ones got my vote.

After he resigned from NASA and ARPA in 1971, he taught Aerospace Engineering at the University of Cincinnati until 1979.

Imagine not just meeting him once, but having him as a professor!

So many old people here. How do you even know how to use a forum?

You're kidding right? Our generation gave you the Internet that you use today.

Silly kid. And get off of my lawn. :D:P (and such nonsense. I'm in Arizona, I don't even have grass. LOL!)

Edited by BostLabs

If anyone says they would like to meet Neil one day I'll be very upset.

I met Buzz about 10 years ago, he was drinkin scotch, really! I have a picture of us I will post it in the near future.

He and I were the only two people in the room for about 10 minutes, so I talked to him. Interestingly he was nice enough, until I asked him questions about the moon landing's in general (not necessarily his, just fact finding I was). He had little to say and I could tell he didnt want to talk about the moon. So I dropped it. His wife came in later (now ex-wife, I believe), and she was a bit tipsy and pretty annoying. Like a 70 year old trophy wife or something. I think she was annoying him as well.

Edited by roosterr

Well, im 13 - It would be nice that withing our lifetimes (collective "our") that we really cared about exploring. Everyone goes:

"90% of the ocean hasn't been explored and blah blah blah"

But do we get the excitement from looking at the blue - For one minute in the whole of mankind's war-torn history, we stopped fighting, we stopped arguing, hell, we nearly stopped trembling about superpower politics. One man changed history yet an army of people helped him there. For one minute, we all looked up at the grey sphere and thought about what we can achieve. So I look up now as the Moon rises and I'm actually able to see it and I think about all that this world suffers from - I think to myself

Why can't we just do it for humanity?

The moon is an interesting place for science and stuff but look at what it does to people. It unites them which leads me to where I leave off

Why can't we be united again.

That is pretty insightful for a 13 year old, good for you. I have to believe that any "kid" that plays KSP is more intellectual than most of their peers.

So many old people here. How do you even know how to use a forum?

2/10 trolling. Come'on, , you can do better. I may be 61, but I've spent over 40 years as a computer programmer/developer. That's how I know how to use a forum. I've written forum applications.

I was 17 when I watched the moon landing live. I was living in Japan at the time.

Edited by Apollo13

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.