[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Quite clear isn't it, you run out of memory. Try reduce mods and/or use active memory reducing mods available.

Not to mention that my game keeps crashing like that even i removed pretty much all microwave horrors of my save. At least game loads my ships faster on launchpad. There use to be like 20s hold. But since this is mearly a memory issue and nothing to do this great mod, there is nothing fractal can do for us. Strange that i have plenty of memory left (of the 32bit 'pool'), oh well....game is getting bit old anyway.

If there is one thing that could use quick updating, its the microwave receiver, the umbrella variant that causes all kinds of troubles. Some sort of phased array variant that could placed on the skin of the plane, like the solar panels...

i went ahead and installed the active texture management mod and everything is working fine. Thanks! I know it was stupid, but i;m not really code or computer oriented so i didn't know what to do haha. thank you for your help

p.s. if anyone else is having the same problem i was, here's the link for the texture management mod

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-Release-2-15-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM-without-reduction-packs!

I've heard the query on variable power input on the microwave receivers before. Fractal (I think, it could have been someone else who sait this) said it isn't really realistic to do this. If you don't receive it all your ship could get fried by the remainder.

How about saying the 'beam' being transmitted is a given size and have a special 'variable width' receiver? It changes to a larger size to get more power, reduces it's radius for a smaller power input. You could even have multiple fixed receivers of different sizes at lower techs to give smaller vessels a chance to use a smaller receiver.

It actually is realistic because you can actually detemrine how much power you feed into the relay network - you dont ahve to take all satellites and or have all senders run at full power.

I've heard the query on variable power input on the microwave receivers before. Fractal (I think, it could have been someone else who sait this) said it isn't really realistic to do this. If you don't receive it all your ship could get fried by the remainder.

How about saying the 'beam' being transmitted is a given size and have a special 'variable width' receiver? It changes to a larger size to get more power, reduces it's radius for a smaller power input. You could even have multiple fixed receivers of different sizes at lower techs to give smaller vessels a chance to use a smaller receiver.

If we're talking realism here then presumably one could just ask the transmitting ship not to transmit quite so much. I mean is that really so hard? We do this in real life.

Kerbals obviously have radio communication and remote control. Turn down the damn transmitter = receive less power.

The ISRU refinery can do your mining. It doesn't need to touch the ground it simply needs to be a part on your landed lander. I haven't done much mining but LqdWater has been fairly easy to find. I think Ammonia and Lithium are harder to find (I don't want to provide a spoiler here). Make use of the two mass spectrometers.

I was playing around with the refineries and looking at the wiki, which process produces Lithium?

I was playing around with the refineries and looking at the wiki, which process produces Lithium?

It's just extracted from seawater with the large refinery.

How would I go about removing the overheating mechanic from the engines? including rapiers?

Remove the following section of rapier.cfg. Don't remove the precooler part because you can't remove the overheating from thermal rockets. You'll need to make a similar edit to B9aero.cfg if you use it.

@PART[RAPIER]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleSabreHeating
}
}

@PART[turboFanEngine]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleSabreHeating
}
}

I meant that the microwave network could only send in the beam the amount of power the target ship needs, and, if nothing other wants the remaining power, send it to deep space. Plus, if a station eats 95 GW at all time on a 100GW network, another ship, which needs 5GW, should not receive 100GW while 95 of them should be eaten by the station, which works normally in the background. This is called creating power from scratch and the physics laws are usually not very keen on that. I asked.

And for the "frying ship", unless the relay that is ~2 UA away is super-accurate and can beam 100GW on a few square meters from a such distance, the beam would fry the whole ship anyway. So this aspect is already unrealistic as KSP is unrealistic (and as it is unrealistic that Minmus can be made of ice, and that Kerbin has an ASL gravity of 1g :P)

And a sneaky suggestion ;p

Could you make the Microwave Receivers receive the amount of power the ship needs ? Or an adjustable amount ? (in order to avoid to have to radiate off several GW_th of WasteHeat when the ship needs 5MW of power)

Oh yes, if there would be build in such a mechanic, it would be very very nice.

It's just extracted from seawater with the large refinery.

Remove the following section of rapier.cfg. Don't remove the precooler part because you can't remove the overheating from thermal rockets. You'll need to make a similar edit to B9aero.cfg if you use it.

Thanks Fractal!

This will help me stop raging so much at my FAR designs

:D

Edit: [Antimatter Power] AIM Microfission ----> AIM Microfusion

[Antimatter Power] AIM Microfission ----> AIM Microfusion

^what is this? I might be being very stupid here but I don't have microfission

Edited by Boamere

Since you ask so nicely...

I have succesfully hacked the stock science apart and now it does my bidding.

http://i.imgur.com/kRgyFvp.jpg

Whoa, I didn't have a problem with the current way of doing impactor experiments as I made sure I had remotetech satellites in orbit around the body to roleplay automatic collection, but this is great too! Thanks for listening the concerns of some in the community!

Anyways, I had a question about the stock electric charge from solar panels.

Are they able to be used as Megajoules or able to be converted to Megajoules?

I'd like to put a massive solar array very close to the sun to beam power around and have it more than just be stock electric charge.

Are they able to be used as Megajoules or able to be converted to Megajoules?

I'd like to put a massive solar array very close to the sun to beam power around and have it more than just be stock electric charge.

If you beam power via a microwave transmitter you can convert solar power into Megajoules. Be careful if you're beaming solar power to add an RTG or something so that the ship doesn't lose power.

If we're talking realism here then presumably one could just ask the transmitting ship not to transmit quite so much. I mean is that really so hard? We do this in real life.

Kerbals obviously have radio communication and remote control. Turn down the damn transmitter = receive less power.

I dont know seems kinda a kerbal thing to do

Bob: hey Bill. Jebs ship is requesting 1.21GW of power

Bill: well Bob if he's requesting at least that much power we should probably crank all the generators to max and send him 50GW.

Bob: Right you are Bill. If some is good more is better.

Bill: it works for boosters and springs after all.

But on a more serious note I agree forsaken. Everybody thats argued agianst limiting the power has been aproaching it from the point of view that you cant choose to just ignore the extra 50GW of the 60GW beam your geting shot with when you only need 10GW by just tuneing the dish(dispite the fact that right now you can by tweeking the alignment, you just cant do it precisely). I look at it from the other side, why would ground controll be shooting a 60GW beam at you if you only needed 10GW? Its just more convenient to put the GUI to controll it on the recieving craft instead of haveing to load up the transmiting craft every time you need to tweek the power. Just explain it as radioing back and asking them to turn down the beam, were tan enough already.

I think be carefull about what you wish for - from what I heard some pages past, solars are not really efficient to get gigawatt level, it is easier to jut put some reactors somewhere ;) Not sure butyou needed some hundred near kerbol isntead of one large reactor.

Impactor data transmision is now working and you see it collecting up in the archives.

I've had to keep the reports for each impactor seperate in the science archives but I think that's an acceptable compromise.

Ignore the bit I scribbled out, you won't see that. I was just experimenting with different approaches.

44EN5un.jpg

yyAj5qW.png

Well I need to ask others, someone know if the solar sail values or radiators values can be upgrade or (already are upgraded) in sandbox mode?

I may be wrong but my current understanding is this:

- In career mode you can unlock upgrades by researching new topics

- Once you unlock an upgrade all new ships automatically use the new better variant of the part (exception computer core and auxxx-drive)

- Parts already deployed are not automatically upgraded, but can be upgrade manually by paying additional science points

- In sandbox mode you directly have all technologies, so you never unlock additional upgrades --> all parts should start upgraded (not sure how the items are handled where you need to upgrade on a part by part basis in career mode)

I have an questions too. I have read that the impactor experiment works better if more than a single detector is present and the science from doing the experiment seem to degrade in a fixed way. Does this mean by doing an impactor experiment with a less than optional detector setup I loose some science points without any change to get it later? (Not so relevant in the long run because there is more than enough available and this addon adds some infinite generation methods, but nonetheless crucial to know in the early games of a new save)

Hm regarding the power transmission discussion. The concept is flawed it you look at it from a realistic point of view anyway, because the power transmission happens with 'only' lightspeed and as such even if you are able to focus on a 1m target you would need to know where the target is in some minutes/hours which is definite impossible with manual craft controlling. So from my point of view when we are on the unrealistic side anyways the addon should allow instant transmission power throttling based on requests from the receiving vessel too :wink:. Physicists cannot sleep anyways,...

One little issue with Liquid Helium Tank - i think it would be wise to make cooling on this thing switchable. Without it this thing turns to a deadly trap when you try to launch it without proper power supply, especially when using automated rockrets. It's simply drains out energy cells in a minutes and you got a dead piece of metal on orbit.

I dont know seems kinda a kerbal thing to do

Bob: hey Bill. Jebs ship is requesting 1.21GW of power

Bill: well Bob if he's requesting at least that much power we should probably crank all the generators to max and send him 50GW.

Bob: Right you are Bill. If some is good more is better.

Bill: it works for boosters and springs after all.

But on a more serious note I agree forsaken. Everybody thats argued agianst limiting the power has been aproaching it from the point of view that you cant choose to just ignore the extra 50GW of the 60GW beam your geting shot with when you only need 10GW by just tuneing the dish(dispite the fact that right now you can by tweeking the alignment, you just cant do it precisely). I look at it from the other side, why would ground controll be shooting a 60GW beam at you if you only needed 10GW? Its just more convenient to put the GUI to controll it on the recieving craft instead of haveing to load up the transmiting craft every time you need to tweek the power. Just explain it as radioing back and asking them to turn down the beam, were tan enough already.

I do agree with you guys that it would be nice if we could limit the transmitted amount and maybe save some UF4 while we are at it but it adds alot of coding and work on to Fractal_UK's probably already overflowing plate.

If your using multiple transmitters you could always turn off a few transmitters for your low power ships/projects and then turn them back on for the big boys.

At last, perfection!

Now we're fully integrated so if you set up your science experiment badly to start with and have to deploy more accelerometers later, you'll still be able to reach the maximum science total but it'll take a bit longer to correct your mistake and pick up the remaining science. Presumably this represents your scientists reaching slightly iffy conclusions and having to revise their models to correct for these mistakes. Thus, getting it right earlier on just means you'll have to do fewer experiments.

P0i25ap.png

Edit: "A" impact event? I'll correct that typo...

Alright, how does one manage to produce antimatter with the science lab? I have a setup with 2 un upgraded 3m fission reactors, a generator for each, a science lab, and a bunch of antimatter bottles and heat radiators and I'm getting nothing. What am I doing wrong? D:

OxBq856.jpg

Even at 100000x timewarp I get nothing