[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

I ran it for something like 200 days (granted, the focus was on another craft, so that could be a thing). It had the right Helium, I didn't explicitly check, but the tooltip thing that came up on the satellite part said everything was fine.

What's a better Kerbin orbit to get more science? 1000km? 10,000?

Hey all, not sure if this is still the case, but last I knew the IR telescope science was broken; though the alternate "hard-mode" experiment where you take it way out past Eeloo orbit I think may still work? Correct me if I missed an update in the change-log!

Hey all, not sure if this is still the case, but last I knew the IR telescope science was broken; though the alternate "hard-mode" experiment where you take it way out past Eeloo orbit I think may still work? Correct me if I missed an update in the change-log!

It works fine now, you just have to collect the science manually and transmit it back so you'll need a comms unit.

I ran it for something like 200 days (granted, the focus was on another craft, so that could be a thing). It had the right Helium, I didn't explicitly check, but the tooltip thing that came up on the satellite part said everything was fine.

What's a better Kerbin orbit to get more science? 1000km? 10,000?

Oops, NM. Now gotta hit 10 Char limit.

It works fine now, you just have to collect the science manually and transmit it back so you'll need a comms unit.

Huzzah! That's just aces, thanks Fractal! I'm off to launch some IR telescopes then!

So I dont know if this is more of a me problem or if its a known bug, but i cant seem to activate the dual technique magnetometer anymore. Anyone have an idea why, or if its a known bug?

So I dont know if this is more of a me problem or if its a known bug, but i cant seem to activate the dual technique magnetometer anymore. Anyone have an idea why, or if its a known bug?

Usually this happens if you install the community science results and keep a copy of the stock result definitions in your GameData folder as well.

Usually this happens if you install the community science results and keep a copy of the stock result definitions in your GameData folder as well.
I appreciate the response, I dont believe i picked that mod up, do you know the name of the file I should look for off the top of your head?

It's just a cfg file that is supposed to replace your ScienceDefs.cfg file. I don't know if this is even still the way it works but it's only the time I've ever heard of the magnetometer stop working previously so I'd bet something has gone wrong with your science definitions.

It's just a cfg file that is supposed to replace your ScienceDefs.cfg file. I don't know if this is even still the way it works but it's only the time I've ever heard of the magnetometer stop working previously so I'd bet something has gone wrong with your science definitions.

Hmm I havent found a cfg file that I think would have caused a change, is there a specific cfg(or file) from the mod i can redownload and replace that you think would fix the issue? Its not a huge deal, at the moment it just hampers my ability to look for antimatter, other than that it still collects science

My spaceplanes fly true. Consider KJR and B9's SN struts.
I'm not sure what you are talking about. I can build a stack of 6 5m Reactors and Gens, without using struts, with no issues.
Wanna give an example of this? I've had no experience where KSPI parts are any less solid than other addon or stock parts. I have the sneaking suspicion you are just building craft that require struts to begin with, then blaming the parts, in which case get over it and use struts (they exist for a reason).

Side note: KJR doesn't reinforce joints anymore unless you're messing with the config file manually. The stock game does what it used to do. Now all it does is slow physics loads when coming out of warp or loading a craft (which is still invaluable!).

Alright. So I put together the basics for an AMD propelled vessel. It has one of the largest of each aprt. The Thermal Nozzle, Antimatter reactor, antimatter fuel tank, and the regular fuel tank on top filled with LFO. 3.5m (I think thats what size it was last I checked). No struts, only the top cockpit piece of the five piece rocket to keep SAS going, and I decide to launch.

Rickety as flying a flippy twelve inch hotdog.

The thing is, there are SO MANY Nodes inside the rocket itself. Plus, the points at which the parts snap together are all small and don't really aid in keepign the rocket stable. If I turned that rocket sideways on the pad and held it there with the pillar pieces (forgot what their called), it would bend and wobble. More than likely, it wouldn't break, but it'd definitely bend and wobble.

I even forget to mention those extremely touchy, weak-pointed heat radiators needed to keep it running.

A lot of the parts within KSP Interstellar are weak to attach to one another and other parts, and they have small connection points. I don't know how to fix this. Ask Bac9, he definitely hass all of that down packed perfectly. I could build somethign with his parts and have absolutely no problem whatsoever. If I needed struts, it's because I decided to not use a node, and instead kept attaching a long strip of node-connected pieces on the side of the vessel. Then I'd use struts.

Hmm I havent found a cfg file that I think would have caused a change, is there a specific cfg(or file) from the mod i can redownload and replace that you think would fix the issue? Its not a huge deal, at the moment it just hampers my ability to look for antimatter, other than that it still collects science

This is the opposite behavior then you would see if the ScienceDefs was messed up. if ScienceDefs was damaged somewhere you would expect to be able to see the values in the right-click menu, but the science reports would just fail to run.

This is the opposite behavior then you would see if the ScienceDefs was messed up. if ScienceDefs was damaged somewhere you would expect to be able to see the values in the right-click menu, but the science reports would just fail to run.

That's true, the only thing I can think of that would prevent the flux numbers from appearing would be the Interstellar dll not loading. The science experiment would still work because that just uses the stock science system but most other Interstellar parts wouldn't operate.

BTW. Might be a bit much to ask, but can we get those collapsible alcubierres integrated so that we can grab them as per download? Thing is, a solid alcubierre doesn't exactly look fun in my book. Thats it. No other real explanation, I just think the collapsibles look better. Also. I have no idea where to get them.

On another note, parts for KSP are reaching a much larger range. Bac9 definitely holds the record for largest (mainstream-acclaimed) and most original part system. I might be praising this guy a bit too much, but ye gods, I love B9 aerospace so much thanks to the new parts. I understand it's a bit more of a challenge (Guesstimate!) making larger parts, but Fractal did decide to make larger parts than KSP had at the time. I'm really just wanting to know if it's going to be done again.

And yet another question! Cylindrical parts are cool and all, but what about parts that are geometrical shapes, like hexagonal, octagonal, and even cubical? That'd help with fps problems, considering that the cylindrical tanks have some odd 300 faces (estimating. More thna likely, it's not 300, but I know it's a high number) on them, whereas a hexagonal-prism-based part would have a total of 8. Graphic-cover-wise, it'd be a bit different, maybe a little worse or a little better, but in face-count terms, thats an incredible difference, bro...

BTW. Might be a bit much to ask, but can we get those collapsible alcubierres integrated so that we can grab them as per download? Thing is, a solid alcubierre doesn't exactly look fun in my book. Thats it. No other real explanation, I just think the collapsibles look better. Also. I have no idea where to get them.

On another note, parts for KSP are reaching a much larger range. Bac9 definitely holds the record for largest (mainstream-acclaimed) and most original part system. I might be praising this guy a bit too much, but ye gods, I love B9 aerospace so much thanks to the new parts. I understand it's a bit more of a challenge (Guesstimate!) making larger parts, but Fractal did decide to make larger parts than KSP had at the time. I'm really just wanting to know if it's going to be done again.

And yet another question! Cylindrical parts are cool and all, but what about parts that are geometrical shapes, like hexagonal, octagonal, and even cubical? That'd help with fps problems, considering that the cylindrical tanks have some odd 300 faces (estimating. More thna likely, it's not 300, but I know it's a high number) on them, whereas a hexagonal-prism-based part would have a total of 8. Graphic-cover-wise, it'd be a bit different, maybe a little worse or a little better, but in face-count terms, thats an incredible difference, bro...

FYI - polygons are generally not what kills you, it's textures, colliders, and physics. Most of the parts I make weigh in at the 5K-8K tricount range but have very simple colliders and a lot of texture reuse.

FYI - polygons are generally not what kills you, it's textures, colliders, and physics. Most of the parts I make weigh in at the 5K-8K tricount range but have very simple colliders and a lot of texture reuse.

I figured. I also did say that if there are low-face-count parts integrated, the change in texture-based FPS poison may be changed only slightly. either due to more space needing to be covered (and fractal's love for high res textures), or less space, where less textures will be needed.

That's true, the only thing I can think of that would prevent the flux numbers from appearing would be the Interstellar dll not loading. The science experiment would still work because that just uses the stock science system but most other Interstellar parts wouldn't operate.

To further clarify... I cant get the flux numbers to show because "Activate" is not available in the right click menu. So it doesnt extend anymore, I can still right click and run experiment though oddly enough.

I figured. I also did say that if there are low-face-count parts integrated, the change in texture-based FPS poison may be changed only slightly. either due to more space needing to be covered (and fractal's love for high res textures), or less space, where less textures will be needed.

Paradoxically, the major limit on most people's FPS isn't poly count, but part count. KSP's physics system is a little bit weird, in that it

that are held together by joints. each of those joints needs to be checked each frame, torque needs to be tested, etc. Pulling off small parts is the best thing you can do to improve performance.

Would not change things - a 1024x1024 texture does not care if it covers a 0.625m cube or a 5m 10,000 poly engine. The smart way to reduce footprint is to reuse textures, adjust how you pack the map to maximize detail on that same space, etc. - but that's a texture discussion not a model discussion. Reduce textures for *memory* footprint, simplify colliders and reduce part count for your FPS performance.

- - - Updated - - -

Paradoxically, the major limit on most people's FPS isn't poly count, but part count. KSP's physics system is a little bit weird, in that it
that are held together by joints. each of those joints needs to be checked each frame, torque needs to be tested, etc. Pulling off small parts is the best thing you can do to improve performance.

This is 100% correct.

Hey, I've had the intersteller mod for a while now and only just started trying out the plasma, atilla, and thermal thrusters.

I think there's some serious bug with them though.

Basically, they don't use electricity.

I can attach a FL-T400 fuel tank to a small probe body, add a 1.25m Thermal Rocket Nozzle and launch it. It'll fly fine, even with no electrical parts added, in fact it'll get a TWR of over 30 and leave the atmosphere in just seconds from launch. What's going on here? I want to use these parts but right now it'd basically be cheating.

ISbug.png

Also, this is my first post on these forums afaik, so if I'm missing something obvious, let me know.

Would not change things - a 1024x1024 texture does not care if it covers a 0.625m cube or a 5m 10,000 poly engine. The smart way to reduce footprint is to reuse textures, adjust how you pack the map to maximize detail on that same space, etc. - but that's a texture discussion not a model discussion. Reduce textures for *memory* footprint, simplify colliders and reduce part count for your FPS performance.

Well, I discovered something today.

Hey, I've had the intersteller mod for a while now and only just started trying out the plasma, atilla, and thermal thrusters.

I think there's some serious bug with them though.

Basically, they don't use electricity.

I can attach a FL-T400 fuel tank to a small probe body, add a 1.25m Thermal Rocket Nozzle and launch it. It'll fly fine, even with no electrical parts added, in fact it'll get a TWR of over 30 and leave the atmosphere in just seconds from launch. What's going on here? I want to use these parts but right now it'd basically be cheating.

http://s21.postimg.org/jvp0jxvhz/ISbug.png

Also, this is my first post on these forums afaik, so if I'm missing something obvious, let me know.

your mod is borked. you shouldn't be able to fly a thermal turbojet without a thermal source, i.e. a reactor or MW input. the termal items don't use electricity, they use heat (i.e. thermal). this heat needs to be from a nearby reactor or other very hot item like a microwave receiver. the plasma and arcjet items use electricity, but in a special, high capacity rapid use form (Megajoules) which is produced by high capacity sources, like solar blankets and thermal generators and such.

Cool news about the changes to fusion, Fractal. I'm underwhelmed by magnetic nozzles since I never really was a fan of any of the low-thrust/high efficiency options and sort of fail to see how this will be much different than using a fusion reactor with He3 to power a generator and thus plasma (except without the option to use beamed power), but I'm sure it will be tweaked to be unique and I may be totally wrong and learn to love it. I am however stoked to hear about other tweaks to fusion power, what with fixing He3 (will the cryostats still auto-evaporate even when powered whenever He3 is used as fuel in a reactor?) and all. Glad to see you're still pumping out the good stuff!

Personally, I'm stoked about the magnetic nozzles! (it's something I started arguing for back when Interstellar-Lite came out, as it didn't make sense for the Thermal Rocket Nozzles to be so expensive) I think you're missing the single most important feature about them- which is balance. With the Magnetic Nozzles, it will now be possible for the Thermal Rocket Nozzles to be realistically cheap, while still having expensive Magnetic Nozzles for the super-hot gasses that would probably melt a traditional Thermal Rocket Nozzle anyways... The creator of Interstellar-Lite, on the other hand, made the (entirely inaccurate) assumption that ALL thermal nozzles were magnetic- and thus made the nozzles unbelievably expensive- even when used for Microwave Beamed Power... (which operates at LOWER temperatures than conventional chemical rocketry, and DOESN'T require magnetics in the rocket nozzle)

Regards,

Northstar