[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

I've been having some problems that I did and didn't see mentioned in the thread this far, first off, the tech tree but then there are other issues... Firespitter is apparently not compatable with .25, and being a noob I have no clue what implications that has. There is no texture for the 1.25m Thermal engine (Its completely white), the Large Argon tank while physically occupying space appears extremely small, making for large awkward gaps. The thermal engines don't seem to work properly, as I can only switch them between Thermal vacuum (Which doesn't work) and monopropellant, which after an entire runway got me up to 26m/s. There is also no FX when the engine is on, so the mod is pretty much broken for me. Hoping for fixes and insight if I installed it wrong.

OUCH I tried to think about it! So... just add the MM patch to the warp plugin folder and be done or do I add it to Treeloader folder?

Like any MM patch, you can put it anywhere under GameData. I would put it either under WarpPlugin or at the top level of GameData. I don't recommend putting it inside the TreeLoader folder because I recommend deleting TreeLoader completely.

I took a few minutes to write up a ModuleManager config to move all of the upgrades from TreeLoader nodes down to stock nodes. I move some of the parts' initial unlocks from the 1000-science reserved-for-mods tier down into stock nodes so it makes sense to have upgrades in the 1000-science tier.

-snip

Thank you for providing this fix!

Does anybody offhand know the costs of the old tech points, the ones required by Treeloader?

I plan on gathering the same science and just deleting it by modifying the save. I want to keep my experience as close to stock KSPi as possible.

Thank you for providing this fix!

Does anybody offhand know the costs of the old tech points, the ones required by Treeloader?

I plan on gathering the same science and just deleting it by modifying the save. I want to keep my experience as close to stock KSPi as possible.

I don't know the costs of the TreeLoader nodes, but you should be able to find the right numbers in WarpPlugin/tree.cfg.

Is there any alternative to treeloader out there? without it Interstellar is screwed :(

The best alternative we have so far, Alternative Tree Configurator, is able to rename and rearrange existing nodes, including the 1000-science reserved tier, But no one has found a reliable way to create new nodes in current KSP.

If we have to do without new nodes for long, using ATC to shuffle the reserved nodes from one 1000-science tier into two or three tiers will help a little. Or Squad could give us a recommended way to create new nodes, or someone could stumble across a solution and contribute it to ATC. So it's annoying, but I wouldn't call it the end of Interstellar.

Hows: Beginning of the end? :-)

Maybe the solution is to somehow get an old version of Kerbal and keep that version. Like Scott Manley did.

Or the author of KSPI could remove the dependence on custom trees. :rolleyes:

Nope. A few nodes are gone; that's a wrap everybody. We had a good run while it lasted. Guess all that work modeling parts and balancing were all for nothing.

Or you could just get undercoveryankee's fix for now and delete the science as you use it. Seriously guys, 0.25 has only been out for like 6 days now.

So it's annoying, but I wouldn't call it the end of Interstellar.

I'm not currently worrying about the end of Interstellar - just where to go from here if I want Interstellar in my current game and don't want things to break too badly when a more permanent solution is found.

Looking at your MM file, I just install KSPI as per usual (sans the Treeloader directory), drop in the MM file, and I'm good to go? (Or as good as we can currently get?)

I'm back and I have now more or less completed a model for the Thermal Adapter, if Fractal likes it then it should be able to have the thermal routing module added to the Part.cfg and work from there after whatever research location and cost balancing may be needed, it should also be good to go for attachment points and be able to scale to 0.625, 2.5, or anything really with a corresponding multiplication to the attachment point values.

QyJWyW9.jpg

97j13u8.jpg

YTHwOr2.jpg

My idea was to kind of make it look like a cpu cooler heat plate with heat pipes running to it although I don't know how well such a system would scale in reality to the temperatures involved I figured this would at least be visually intuitive.

If Fractal likes the part and wants it in the mod he can PM me and I can provide it though email or however would be most convenient to him, I will also send Fractal a PM in case this post gets lost in the thread.

I'm back and I have now more or less completed a model for the Thermal Adapter, if Fractal likes it then it should be able to have the thermal routing module added to the Part.cfg and work from there after whatever research location and cost balancing may be needed, it should also be good to go for attachment points and be able to scale to 0.625, 2.5, or anything really with a corresponding multiplication to the attachment point values.

http://i.imgur.com/QyJWyW9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/97j13u8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YTHwOr2.jpg

My idea was to kind of make it look like a cpu cooler heat plate with heat pipes running to it although I don't know how well such a system would scale in reality to the temperatures involved I figured this would at least be visually intuitive.

If Fractal likes the part and wants it in the mod he can PM me and I can provide it though email or however would be most convenient to him, I will also send Fractal a PM in case this post gets lost in the thread.

That looks awesome!

On a similar note: There is a part pack: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/90438-UPDATE-New-parts-landinglegs-Beam-Axles?p=1347630&viewfull=1#post1347630

There is a part that is essentially the rockomax adapter (i.e. cone-shape) that has embedded solar panels. I would love a part that did the same for deployable radiators (or a cylinder part that does the same (especially for spaceplanes - instead of the cargo-bay workaround (I keep closing the doors on them by accident)). I MM'ed that part into a deployable radiator, but obviously it still has the appearance of solar panels.

That looks awesome!

On a similar note: There is a part pack: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/90438-UPDATE-New-parts-landinglegs-Beam-Axles?p=1347630&viewfull=1#post1347630

There is a part that is essentially the rockomax adapter (i.e. cone-shape) that has embedded solar panels. I would love a part that did the same for deployable radiators (or a cylinder part that does the same (especially for spaceplanes - instead of the cargo-bay workaround (I keep closing the doors on them by accident)). I MM'ed that part into a deployable radiator, but obviously it still has the appearance of solar panels.

Thanks, I could probably work on something simmilar to that although this was my first time making a model so it may take me a while to figure out something that complex with unfolding animation and all that. I will probably focus on my model for the Aluminium Hybrid rocket next though since I already have some work done on that.

Edited by Colseg

I took a few minutes to write up a ModuleManager config to move all of the upgrades from TreeLoader nodes down to stock nodes. I move some of the parts' initial unlocks from the 1000-science reserved-for-mods tier down into stock nodes so it makes sense to have upgrades in the 1000-science tier.

Copy and paste from here or download a file that already has the right extension from https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cvtczz58x06qx3/KSPI-0.13-no-treeloader.cfg?dl=0 .

@PART[AntimatterReactor*] {
@TechRequired = advScienceTech
@MODULE[FNAntimatterReactor] {
@upgradeTechReq = experimentalScience
}
}

// Since I moved the AM reactors up to make room for their upgrade, I need to
// move the tanks as well.
@PART[AntimatterTank*] {
@TechRequired = advScienceTech
}

@PART[FNFissionFusionCatReactor] {
@TechRequired = specializedElectrics
@MODULE[InterstellarCatalysedFissionFusion] {
@upgradeTechReq = experimentalElectrics
}
}

@PART[FusionReactor250,FusionReactor375] {
@TechRequired = metaMaterials
@MODULE[InterstellarTokamakFusionReactor] {
@upgradeTechReq = nanolathing
}
}

+PART[FusionReactor250] {
@name = placeholder_fusion_upgrade
@TechRequired = nanolathing
@category = -1
@title = Tokamak Upgrade
}

@PART[NuclearReactor*,FNPFissionReactor*] {
@MODULE[InterstellarFissionMSRGC,InterstellarFissionPBDP] {
@upgradeTechReq = metaMaterials
}
}

@PART[FusionReactor0625,FusionReactor125] {
@techRequired = specializedElectrics
@MODULE[InterstellarInertialConfinementReactor] {
@upgradeTechReq = experimentalElectrics
}
}

@PART[*MPD] {
@MODULE[ElectricEngineControllerFX] {
@upgradeTechReq = experimentalScience
}
}

@PART[ThermalTurbojet*] {
@MODULE[FNNozzleController] {
@upgradeTechReq = hypersonicFlight
}
}

For some reason the Fusion Reactor upgrades do not work for me. Anyone else have this problem with this fix?

Edited by PhoeniXYZ

Just a bug report here that isn't KSPI-specific, but the science lab module from KSPI isn't textured... I know this is a KSP TGA issue, but still, maybe that could be converted to another format to move away from TGA.

Just a bug report here that isn't KSPI-specific, but the science lab module from KSPI isn't textured... I know this is a KSP TGA issue, but still, maybe that could be converted to another format to move away from TGA.

It's a Unity -opengl issue.

I don't like this. =|

Original author does Good Work .

Original author goes AWOL.

Mod goes stale and breaks.

New author comes out with Interstellar Lite which makes many long-overdue overhauls to mod, things get radically better on all accounts. (roughly 85% of changes from new author are radical improvements!)

Original author returns, ignores improvements made by interim author, rolls back 99% of long overdue changes made by interim author, breaks compatibility with interim author and calls it a new version. =|

I maintain my own DMP modpak and this 0.13 version is just not worthy of it. 0.12.3 was much much better. =(

I don't like this. =|

Original author does Good Work .

Original author goes AWOL.

Mod goes stale and breaks.

New author comes out with Interstellar Lite which makes many long-overdue overhauls to mod, things get radically better on all accounts. (roughly 85% of changes from new author are radical improvements!)

Original author returns, ignores improvements made by interim author, rolls back 99% of long overdue changes made by interim author, breaks compatibility with interim author and calls it a new version. =|

I maintain my own DMP modpak and this 0.13 version is just not worthy of it. 0.12.3 was much much better. =(

The two mods were trying to do separate things. We will reconverge at some point. I plan to have lite be an mm config of kspi eventually the same way I was planning to offer support of different universes through kspil mm configs.

The two mods were trying to do separate things. We will reconverge at some point. I plan to have lite be an mm config of kspi eventually the same way I was planning to offer support of different universes through kspil mm configs.

The biggest problem we have right now is this annoying TreeLoader issue, hard to do much of anything until we can restore enhanced tech tree functionality.

The biggest problem we have right now is this annoying TreeLoader issue, hard to do much of anything until we can restore enhanced tech tree functionality.

This is my thoughts as well. I don't know enough about the science tree to do anything about it yet though.

Though I did have the idea of scrap the expanded tree entirely and make the parts purchasable with resources or science, which kinda helps balance the mod and makes the mod agnostic to alternative tech trees. But that is trading one challenge for another. I am not sure which will end up being harder to implement.