[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

I would like to say thats an inspiring, and eye-opening collection of two posts right there. My philosophy goes into an advanced field that makes it to where people can barely understand, and I am very little moved by much ata ll, but dude, you definitely have my attention.

Well. As an update here (and I'm only here, because my game crashed due to a small glitch where when I was trying to make a spaceplane, the parts I was holding had both come off, and stayed "attached" as well. the game began flipping ****, and when I tried to start on a new ship, it froze just ike water that flash freezes at low temps), I have actually come up with a grand solution to my Intergalactic City project. Currently, yes, the idea that being able ot atmosphere scoop liquidfuel is a good idea, now, I have no way of getting it to another planet. Thermal jet engines powered by Antimatter drives (Oh, hai, I like that name/idea), and so far, I can see my spaceplane taking off at a remarkable speed, and hitting orbit with relative ease, provided that it does not break apart. 4 thermal jets powered by Antimatter drives. Can't wait to see how fast that flies without the antimatter driven thruster. Gonna just ram scoop some materials form another planet, return the plane home (if I can manage that. Not much fuel gone be used....)

So, after so long of trying to figure things out I made a small, self-sustaining AM Gen that can rove around on Kerbin, and creates AM, filling a tank full within maybe 4 hours in game. And thanks to Lazor Systems, transfer is that much easier.

Now that I have to see since from what I understand the Lab needs 5GW to create AM and it only produces a small amount.

Edit.

Ok, I know why, from what I understand the code was setup to allow us to collect AM without having the vehicle as active and the code is wrong, increasing the actual amount of AM by a large amount, its so fast because its multiplying the production rate. Once its fixed it will take alot longer to collect AM.

According to the Lab readout on my AM Generator using 4x 3.5M reactors/gens it should take 1.5 hours to make 1 unit of AM, its making 1 AM every 75 seconds right now.

Edited by Donziboy2

Now that I have to see since from what I understand the Lab needs 5GW to create AM and it only produces a small amount.

Edit.

Ok, I know why, from what I understand the code was setup to allow us to collect AM without having the vehicle as active and the code is wrong, increasing the actual amount of AM by a large amount, its so fast because its multiplying the production rate. Once its fixed it will take alot longer to collect AM.

According to the Lab readout on my AM Generator using 4x 3.5M reactors/gens it should take 1.5 hours to make 1 unit of AM, its making 1 AM every 75 seconds right now.

Indeed, the idea of this mechanism wasn't for the lab to be the better way of producing antimatter, actually the opposite is the case. The lab is supposed be a brute force mechanism that consumes vast amounts of power but at least gives you antimatter at locations where you wouldn't otherwise find any, such as the surface of Kerbin. The rate is supposed to be a middling value - less than what you can harvest at the good locations but greater than you'd find in orbit of the smaller planets.

One of the things I sought to try and redress in this mod was the extremely Kerbin centric model of exploration that exists in KSP at the moment. With these parts, we get major benefits from building infrastructure on and around places like Moho and Jool and it's moons.

I've seen a lot of people on the thread talking about building structures on and around Moho but I'm surprised I haven't heard so much about Jool. Have any of you been building up much in that area?

I can transmit science from the labs but how do I receive science? Can we receive from somewhere else and with anything else?

It needs to be another lab that receives the science. In the next update, computer cores will be able to transmit and receive science too.

Also, I've finally got around to putting the science lab IVA into the next release. ZZZ deserves the credit for this.

mrptZKm.jpg

So this is what I've just spotted. I set this rig up, clicked receive science multiple times (without a Kerbal inside the lab), filled up the science storage. I tried to transmit and nothing happened, so I quick-saved and quick-loaded.

Going back and forth between the space center, changing between vessels, doesn't fix it. I tried restarting KSP and it's still the same.

CEjRkuT.png

Just tried this last night, very cool mod. I didn't get anything into orbit yet, ended up making a "science truck" to cook up some science and AM.. and yes it's very slow! need to get off the surface. Still just feeling out the mechanics of how all these new parts work. My plan is to use KAS to fuel up the ship on on the pad from the truck before launch. Hopefully that works, I should test it. But yes I also could not figure out the data transfer thing. Do you need to select a target ship or something? Looks promising though, can't wait to try the warp drive.

The science module looks amazing. More glowy light-up bits please. :)

Cool mod, keep up the good work. :)

But yes I also could not figure out the data transfer thing. Do you need to select a target ship or something? Looks promising though, can't wait to try the warp drive.

The science module looks amazing.

No, you don't select a target, all you do is click "Transmit Scientific Data." If you then switch to another ship with a science lab, you should have a "Receive Scientific Data" option, click on that and you will get the science you transmitted.

About this thing, I'm little worry about size of it, I can excuse by it have amount similar to other ksp interiors but is someone really need to add this? Maybe use a low res version instead if no one will look inside often?

screenshot21.jpg

one is regular and other is "low res" 21mb and 8mb

Edited by zzz

i think the larger file size is ok at the moment since this mod isn't that big, i would assume that the only mods that really need to worry about size are the part packs like b9 and KWRocketry.

Also i'm glad that you've added some sizeable drawbacks to the new engine, making it completely unsuitable for docking and landing near bases, but very useful for tugging, it adds an interesting factor to ship design that isn't "what has the highest TWR/isp"

Just a quick bug report. I haven't figured out where it's coming from, but I have a ship with a warp drive, when I switch from that ship to other and back it; it fails to load everything but warp drive.

Can you post a copy of your KSP.log file or press alt+f2 in game and post the contents in here please?

Fractal, I currently have a problem with your mod. Nob ig deal, though, it's just a few simple things I can easily fix, but the problem will persist until I fix everything right, the whole nine yards.

Anyway, I have successfully created the ship Fire on the Horizon last night. It still has yet to launch because of an annoying flaw that I can't surpass.

I use the largest AM tank stacked above the largest AM reactor, stacked above the larger thermal thruster. The problem here, is that despite having attached the AM reactor to the remainder of the rocket using 20 structural struts, it breaks off. In fact, the way it breaks off is just something I can't figure out.

During liftoff, even with the command module attached by the SR docking port, it can easily send both off into space without the command module's own engines firing even once. (electrical engines) Now, it's completely structurally sound, it doesn't wobble, and I've got enough large SAS modules throughout it's entirety, that it actually does not need RCS to move in the right direction or stay on the 0 degree point.

Not even a minute into flight, every one of the 20 struts holding the AM generator snaps, and the AM generator and Thermal Thruster it's attached to, both fall from the ship. Nothing gets damaged, it just...falls off.

BTW, what planets produce what materials when you ram scoop in the atmosphere? Like what exactly does going into Jool's atmosphere do, as well as the other planets? Except for Eeloo. Eeloo is so freakin small, the Mun puts it to shame, and the orbit speed needed to stick around that planet was about 28m/s at the periapsis. It has no atmosphere.

Anyway, I have successfully created the ship Fire on the Horizon last night. It still has yet to launch because of an annoying flaw that I can't surpass.

I use the largest AM tank stacked above the largest AM reactor, stacked above the larger thermal thruster. The problem here, is that despite having attached the AM reactor to the remainder of the rocket using 20 structural struts, it breaks off. In fact, the way it breaks off is just something I can't figure out.

During liftoff, even with the command module attached by the SR docking port, it can easily send both off into space without the command module's own engines firing even once. (electrical engines) Now, it's completely structurally sound, it doesn't wobble, and I've got enough large SAS modules throughout it's entirety, that it actually does not need RCS to move in the right direction or stay on the 0 degree point.

This is almost definitely a NullReferenceException. If you press Alt+F2, you will probably see some kind of NullReferenceException comment in the log. Could you please copy the contents of the log, or post up a copy of your KSP.log file, particularly the part around where the first of these NullReferenceExceptions occurs. A screenshot of your rocket might be helpful too.

It could be (and probably is) related to a problem that I've already fixed for the next update but I'd like to make sure.

that is the Fire on the Horizon's first destination. Gonna be ram scooping.

There is nothing to scoop. Moho has no atmosphere.

You can scoop by planet:

Eve: Argon (very very tiny amounts)

Kerbin: Oxidiser (plenty), Argon (a little)

Duna: Oxidiser, Argon (both very tiny amounts)

Jool: LiquidFuel (massive quantities)

Laythe: Oxidiser (plenty), Argon (a little)

If he is using the Largest AM reactor and using LF and Oxi then he is getting like 16000kN of thrust, I think the physics engine goes a little crazy.

That's the other possibility. I've changed a lot of the breaking forces for the next version, so if isn't a bug and is just a physics issue, it should be a lot better soon.

Alright. I got pics first, so thats good. :D

This is for donziboy's interest in my own Antimatter Generation.

1266972_405564166209896_1862577192_o.jpg

This is the Fire on the Horizon's Antimatter drive and fuel storage, ready to fly off once it's been fitted with enough Antimatter, of which I might have to give it a full tank of for it to get to it's destination and back without refueling the AM drive.

1272622_405564186209894_188938304_o.jpg

The Fire on the Horizon fueling up with Antimatter via lazor systems.

1239291_405564196209893_655685899_o.jpg

And then the mysterious failure of which I'm going to say is because the ship's own thruster is too powerful. -_-

1276110_405564156209897_1846509169_o.jpg

Now, the debug stuffs.

1268694_405566216209691_1005955598_o.jpg

Okay, that's purely a physics problem so Donziboy was right there. I've tested some bigger 3.75m antimatter rockets in the next update and they should hold together a lot better. Until I get the update out, you could possibly try some of the stronger struts from a pack like KW Rocketry. You could also try switching the tankage over to LiquidFuel and using the rocket in LiquidFuel mode, that would reduce the thrust and increase the specific impulse. I don't know how heavy your ship is, so it's tough to say if it would provide enough thrust.

What are your thoughts on 0.22 Fractal_UK?

The rough plan at the moment is to:

1) Change my science system such that zero-g environments provide almost the same science everywhere: the reason I didn't do this to begin with was because there was no system for transmitting science and I didn't want to make it too hard. That means you'll need to land your science labs on interesting celestial bodies to get the high science generation rates. Zero g labs will get a lower rate (this change is likely to be made before 0.22).

1b) Make some new experiments, particularly rover experiments. (This change may be made before 0.22 depending on how speedy SQUAD is feeling at the moment how much time I have to devote to development).

2) Make this pack's science system interchangeable with the stock one such that my science labs generate stock science, however that works.

3) Add technologies so that basic parts can be researched like the stock parts. Add new technologies for the upgraded parts. Then there will be a minimal science upgrade cost to turn one of my basic parts into one of my upgraded parts, sort of like now only the upgrade cost will be tilted toward the initial cost of researching the tech rather than toward performing the upgrade each time as it is now. Due to the nature of this mod, most of the parts are likely to be toward the end of the tech tree (with a few exceptions).

4) In sandbox mode, I'm assuming SQUAD will consider that all technologies are automatically researched, so in sandbox mode you will be able to perform any of the part upgrades using the smaller upgrade cost.

Note that all of these are subject to change depending on how the stock science API works and what SQUAD actually implement.