[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

You cant relay transmitted power, its point to point, no retransmission.

On your launch I see its connected to 2 sats, one is in LOS the other is probably at a high enough angle that you wont get anything from it.

What "Relay connected" in that screenshot stands for then?

Because there is nothing wrong with the transmitter code. It only knows about the power it is receiving from the generator. It's the receiver code that has the bug.

But transmitter doesn't show any power from solar panels at all, I forgot to add that each satellite has 4 XL solar panels too.

Can you post a screenshot with the transmitters current activity shown as well please?

JU17k4Kl.png

But transmitter doesn't show any power from solar panels at all, I forgot to add that each satellite has 4 XL solar panels too.

Looks like this problem and your relay problem are related. Only one type of power output for a transmitter is presently supported, it checks in the order generator -> microwave receiver -> solar panels. As such, if you have a generator, it will just transmit that nice reliable source of power rather than ever checking for more volatile inputs.

I'm hoping to make multiple inputs possible sometime in the near future.

Looks like this problem and your relay problem are related. Only one type of power output for a transmitter is presently supported, it checks in the order generator -> microwave receiver -> solar panels. As such, if you have a generator, it will just transmit that nice reliable source of power rather than ever checking for more volatile inputs.

This would explain a lot, so for now, until it's fixed:

In order to make relay I must have satellite without any generators

In order to make solar transmitter satellite I must have satellite without any generators and receivers

Correct?

Edited by Myrten

What "Relay connected" in that screenshot stands for then?

Unless Fractal_uk has changed something you cant receive and then retransmit.

I was referring to this picture...

YdU37JY.png

Edited by Donziboy2

This would explain a lot, so for now, until it's fixed:

In order to make relay I must have satellite without any generators

In order to make solar transmitter satellite I must have satellite without any generators and receivers

That's right.

That's right.

So I've placed relay satellite without generators and output power on relay's transmitter looks correct:

EhA8Y47l.jpg

But my other satellite still doesn't receive power if it's targeted @ relay satellite.

JK2meEGl.png

UtAE5Bfl.png

That would be why I can't use generators from other mods to power a transmitter.

Any way you can add 'battery' on the end of that list and let us route all electrical power through the battery to go out the transmitter?

That would be why I can't use generators from other mods to power a transmitter.

Any way you can add 'battery' on the end of that list and let us route all electrical power through the battery to go out the transmitter?

I'm just going to rewrite the code to allow all sources to contribute. That said, there is no way I can support generators from other mods, there is simply no universal way to figure out their production per second.

Is it possible to make the AM collectors togglable? I'm having a hard time building a modular station with them as they keep sucking my launch vehicle dry on the pad of power. As soon as the final boost stage falls away the vehicle dies and goes ballistic unless I add a reactor/generator to the collector module for launch.

Is it possible to make the AM collectors togglable? I'm having a hard time building a modular station with them as they keep sucking my launch vehicle dry on the pad of power. As soon as the final boost stage falls away the vehicle dies and goes ballistic unless I add a reactor/generator to the collector module for launch.

You mean the AM tanks, the collectors do not need power. You can toggle off the tanks. Once you place AM in them they will require a charge, unless you want your ship to explode.

Just started playing with this mod, and loving it so far!

Is there a written or video tutorial besides the documentation in the OP that can help me better understand how to progress in the mod? All I have done until now is send a couple of probes out for magnetic field research (I think that Jool wins the price on this one, and I guess we are supposed to use the info for antimatter production).

Just started playing with this mod, and loving it so far!

Is there a written or video tutorial besides the documentation in the OP that can help me better understand how to progress in the mod? All I have done until now is send a couple of probes out for magnetic field research (I think that Jool wins the price on this one, and I guess we are supposed to use the info for antimatter production).

Scott Manley's doing a play-through with KSPI along with other mods... You can use that as a "tutorial"...

Yep I'm watching that (interstellar quest), but he just started it so it will take some time. I don't really want to spoil myself either, just looking for some general directions. My next project is to make a couple of solar stations near the sun for cheap power and also start using the science lab. Cheers...C:

Yep I'm watching that (interstellar quest), but he just started it so it will take some time. I don't really want to spoil myself either, just looking for some general directions. My next project is to make a couple of solar stations near the sun for cheap power and also start using the science lab. Cheers...C:

Take a look at the Wiki too. It contains some bits of information that aren't on the first post, also the more people look at it, the more likely it is that there will be people there to keep it up to date.

You can also take a look at Mr Manley's first video on it. Some things have changed since that version of the mod because 0.22 came out in between but it still might be helpful.

Problem : the nuclear reactors in this mod make too much EC. You've already included your own energy resource - megajoules - so there is no reason to let the reactors turn their power output to EC at such a high rate. (I assume it's 100%, but whatever it is, it's too much)

This is why : cheatrocket.png

I suppose this counts as a cross-mod interaction, however, even the stock ion engine becomes super OP because you can run a limitless number of them off of the smallest reactor.

Problem : the nuclear reactors in this mod make too much EC. You've already included your own energy resource - megajoules - so there is no reason to let the reactors turn their power output to EC at such a high rate. (I assume it's 100%, but whatever it is, it's too much)

This is why :

<snippy snip snip>

I suppose this counts as a cross-mod interaction, however, even the stock ion engine becomes super OP because you can run a limitless number of them off of the smallest reactor.

It's not too OP in my mind; since stock ion engines have such low thrust, it would take a buttload of them to actually give you any usable thrust. In fact, you need 120 separate ion engines in order to equal the same thrust as a stock LV-N rocket (Albeit at much higher efficiency).

Still, the weight of the fission reactor and electrical generator, coupled with the fuel required to feed 120 ion engines is enough to drop your acceleration down to very small numbers, especially if you want to carry a usable payload.

The number of parts would approach Whackjobian levels on that monstrosity too...

help! I installed in Ksp/GameData folder, just this one mod, almost working good, but Science(resource) is not appear.

science lap attach and put 2 crew, computer core attach, fully MJ, click the reserch and waiting long time but i can't upgrade.

how to resolve it?

I don't know what that is but I've made the assumption that 1KJ = 1ElectricCharge and everything is fairly consistent around that value. Solar panels have relatively realistic power/mass ratios at that conversion and likewise the unupgraded nuclear reactors are close to values for real nuclear reactors that have been tested (but not actually used) for space applications.

Additionally, everything in this mod conserves energy - i.e. the thrust of all the engines is based upon engine power and specific impulse (enough information to derive a thrust). Unfortunately, some engines both stock and modded don't do this, but even if I used a different scheme for balance, there is no reason to think others would use the same one so the way I see it, I might as well stick with this scheme.

It's actually the stock ion engine that is already super OP. Its thrust is probably scaled up somewhere between 100,000 and 1,000,000x compared to reality. If you could manage the part count then yes, they would be incredibly good but you would need hundreds of the things as CalculusWarrior points out, which makes that idea rather impractical.

Edited by Fractal_UK

So I was playing around with AM reactors in sandbox mode, and I managed to get into space with an AM reactor that was never fed AM. The simplest design to reproduce the bug is: Pod, Fuel tank, Radiator, Electric gen, AM reactor, Thermal nozzle. Press space, get into space. :) For some reason, if there's a generator in the mix, thermal power is generated even though the reactor is AM deprived. It's not offline, just AM deprived. If it gets offline (break the radiator for example) then it stops generating anything.

Edited by Skoot

So I was playing around with AM reactors in sandbox mode, and I managed to get into space with an AM reactor that was never fed AM. The simplest design to reproduce the bug is: Pod, Fuel tank, Radiator, Electric gen, AM reactor, Thermal nozzle. Press space, get into space. :)

It's already fixed ready for the next update, don't worry! Cheers for the report though.

I'm just going to rewrite the code to allow all sources to contribute. That said, there is no way I can support generators from other mods, there is simply no universal way to figure out their production per second.

There isn't? ElectricCharge from generation sources is rated in units per second. 1 ec/s = 1KJ/s.

Now batteries would be an issue as they have a capacity not a units per second. I agree with you that the thought of just pool everything into the battery and then take it from there (in order to remove the 'flavor' of power) isn't going to work for exactly that reason but what's wrong with an alternator or something that can directly convert EC/s to MJ?

edit: In fact what's stopping me from just creating it? Ah the beauty of mods. You can write your own. I'll send it to you once I figure out how to do it.