[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Is this mod compatible with life support mods (TAC specifically), or will I have to edit the resource definitions etc?

It works fine. You cannot use Interstellar water for life support or TAC water for engines by default, but if you do not need to plugin itself work ok.

Edited by Lightwarrior

Question about beamed power:

Is there some way to 'pool' power received by arrays/MTERs? I've tried to use MTERs connected to thermal turbojets/rockets to create lifters, but it appears that in the same way that the dishes are directional, the MTERs don't all seem to receive the same power, meaning the engines don't all generate uniform thrust, meaning problem.

Unless something else was going on I wasn't paying proper attention to, that is.

Also, the precoolers.. I had some attached to the 2.5m intakes, but I have no idea how to get them working? there's nothing bindable in action groups, nothing on the right-click interface in-game, and they never seemed to come 'online' while my thermal turbojet got hotter and hotter and hotter.

??

Oh, also also:

power transmitters/relays/receivers... any chance of getting some kind of trace of what connections are in play ala remotetech? So we can trace what sources we're picking up, what we're not, and how we might best turn the latter into the former?

Question about beamed power:

Is there some way to 'pool' power received by arrays/MTERs? I've tried to use MTERs connected to thermal turbojets/rockets to create lifters, but it appears that in the same way that the dishes are directional, the MTERs don't all seem to receive the same power, meaning the engines don't all generate uniform thrust, meaning problem.

Unless something else was going on I wasn't paying proper attention to, that is.

Also, the precoolers.. I had some attached to the 2.5m intakes, but I have no idea how to get them working? there's nothing bindable in action groups, nothing on the right-click interface in-game, and they never seemed to come 'online' while my thermal turbojet got hotter and hotter and hotter.

??

The precoolers have to be attached directly to the engine, and the intake has to be directly attached to precooler, you can't have fuel tanks or anything else really in between... as far as I can tell

Is anyone else having issues with radiators not venting waste heat built up from solar panels? I have made 15 different versions of a comms satellite and used every type of inline and radial radiator in the mod and they will NOT vent heat no matter how many I put on the satellite. I builds up heat and stores heat but will NOT vent heat unless all solar panels are closed and it is on the dark side of the planet. All of my satellites worked great before with 1 small radial radiator per 1 1x6 solar panel, now I have even tried putting 1 2.5 meter inline radiator for just 1 solar panel and it still just builds up heat with no venting.

I know the fold out radiators are better for space but I have not unlocked them yet. I kind of wish I had a mode which re-arranged the tech tree so I got more satellite/probe stuff before I got all this manned mission stuff as it makes no sense to send manned missions to planets first... Any help would be appreciated.

To Fractal and those having trouble with precoolers, I found a problem in the file "rapier.cfg" which seems to have prevented modulemanager from affecting the "Radial Engine Body". I fixed the problem by changing this

@PART[radialEngineBody]
{
@title = Intake Pre-cooler
@description = A magnificent piece of engineering that pre-cools the air flow from atmospheric engines, preventing overheating at high speeds.
MODULE{
name = FNModulePreecooler
}

to this

@PART[radialEngineBody]
{
@title = Intake Pre-cooler
@description = A magnificent piece of engineering that pre-cools the air flow from atmospheric engines, preventing overheating at high speeds.
MODULE
{
name = FNModulePreecooler
}

I'm not sure how much of what I did was needed, but I think it was changing

MODULE{

to

MODULE
{

this issue also seems to be present in "b9aero.cfg" for the SABREs and SABRE Bodies

Is this heat normal?

I only have 1 2.5 reactor and can't get my waste heat down to neutral, even with all these radiators hooked up.

You will never get WasteHeat down to zero. The more WasteHeat you have, the higher radiator temperature is and more heat is radiated. This process will stabilize at some point, and if WasteHeat will still be lower then ~95% of maximum capacity it is ok.

Also inline radiators are almost useless in space.

Edited by Lightwarrior

Just a semi-rambling thought around the Interstellar Science Lab part:

Squad have talked about not wanting to use parts that just sit and generate science, since you can just time-warp through the tech tree. I can understand that, and if I wasn't running TAC life support to provide some serious limitations (more than actinide buildup/uranium depletion) then I would be tempted to agree.

The problem is, that they've also talked about the need to have something to *do* when you're at a planet.

With Interstellar, you can have a crewed science lab as a surface base, which gives you a reason for such a thing to exist (rather than being aesthetic). Now, perhaps there could be some kind of diminishing returns, to encourage bases on as many objects/biomes as possible (rather than just spamming the Mun, or whatever), but in any case it gives an external impetus for development.

Also, you can create heavy landers with science bases built-in. This way, the time spent waiting for the return launch window isn't wasted, as you can be generating science. I haven't yet attempted this (it just occurred to me...) but I noticed that at the moment I'm usually waiting out my time in orbit docked with the interplanetary stage, since the lander is carrying to bare minimum of life support supplies etc. This doesn't really make much sense, since surely the point of going to a planet is to spend as much time as possible on the surface.

This also counters the other realism problem in KSP - the sensible way to do most exploration is with one-man capsules (especially with life support), and here you'd ideally want at least two, and preferably as many as possible.

So... I'm not sure if there *is* a better solution than the Interstellar Science Lab. It might be possible to tweak, but I think KSP might ultimately need a part like it.

I like Domfluff's idea, if it's extrapolated over a long period of time. IE, make the science lab produce science at a reasonable rate, then diminish over say a year to zero... for that specific Biome. Switch to a new biome and the science would return to full.

I like Domfluff's idea, if it's extrapolated over a long period of time. IE, make the science lab produce science at a reasonable rate, then diminish over say a year to zero... for that specific Biome. Switch to a new biome and the science would return to full.

That's one possibility - the other would be a scaling factor per biome, where each subsequent science lab in the same biome produces less science, meaning that you can still leave bases up permanently, but you'd be encouraged to have multiple bases, or multiple bases per site for bodies with biomes.

Personally, I've not used the science lab to generate science. On this playthrough, (which admittedly started in 0.22 with the resulting science spam), I've only used the stock science system to unlock the parts. I still have to unlock the last 2 interstellar nodes, so I haven't even got antimatter reactors yet. Yes, this has been quite challenging, though the addition of the minmus biomes helped immensely, I know that if I do run out of science, I can spam a few science labs around to finish off. Every one has a different play style, and I like the fact that the game and this mod support that.

I am looking forward to putting the distant telescope out there though, even if only for the challenge ;)

And finally, because I like showing off a little, some pictures of my current infrastructure:

My current LKO Station, which has since also had the stock science lab docked.

1EFCF763CA2191E55C6D42161A73750A0FFA050D

My Anti-matter collection station in Kerbin orbit, which has since had another set of collectors docked with it.

6CD0B800370E88509BEB6E78159D5DB6D3F1681B

And finally the Discovery Orbital Science Vessel during a Laythe flyby

486A68A21D8F7416E5C0010364B254F0244344A9

Russ

ps It seems I need to take more up to date pictures ;)

Boamere, try reactivating the engines, burn up a bit then cut thrust, wait til .000000u fuel flow and it should turn off, its how i've solved it haping the couple times its happened. maybe a bug somewhere where it thinks its still having fuel flow when the engine was shut down. (i'm a newbie to engines modding wise and in general mods besides using them)

I have a couple problems with this mod, please let me know if you can help:

1. The laboratory doesn't have an option to send science back. For some reason there just isn't an option, and it doesn't tell me how much science i have collected at all. I have both kerbals inside and a satellite transmitter and lots of power. Still, nothing.

2. I can't connect satellites via anything! The receivers don't give an option to connect or anything. I set up two different ones right next to each other, turned both on, ad still nothing happens.

3. I can't access the science tree to upgrade parts, i dont know where to find it.

Boamere, try reactivating the engines, burn up a bit then cut thrust, wait til .000000u fuel flow and it should turn off, its how i've solved it haping the couple times its happened. maybe a bug somewhere where it thinks its still having fuel flow when the engine was shut down. (i'm a newbie to engines modding wise and in general mods besides using them)

Ok I'll try ,thanks :)

Edit: worked, thanks. It's a bit odd isn't it

I have a couple problems with this mod, please let me know if you can help:

1. The laboratory doesn't have an option to send science back. For some reason there just isn't an option, and it doesn't tell me how much science i have collected at all. I have both kerbals inside and a satellite transmitter and lots of power. Still, nothing.

2. I can't connect satellites via anything! The receivers don't give an option to connect or anything. I set up two different ones right next to each other, turned both on, ad still nothing happens.

3. I can't access the science tree to upgrade parts, i dont know where to find it.

1) You don't transmit science manually with Interstellar's lab

2) That's not how KSP or Interstellar mod work

3) Also not a mod thing. Learn how to use vanilla KSP.

Is there any benefit to building a station with the science lab and a computer core? Does it give more science?

Also why does Jool give more science per day then moho? I have the same exact station build at both, but the one at moho produces half the amount per day.

Thanks!