[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

@Fractal_UK

Oh, Fractal, one more thing about that- what about the idea of utilizing a GUI for In-Situ Resource Utilization. Something like a chart showing the different resources, and arrows between them labelled with the different reactions and what they produce (i.e. Haber-Bosch from LiquidFuel to Ammonia with an input arrow from "atmosphere", Reverse Water Gas Shift Reaction from LiquidFuel to LiquidWater, etc...)

I bet that would be a lot more intuitive way to represent the frankly astounding number of reactions possible, without overwhelming players.

Regards,

Northstar

I made a graph of it a while back, see http://db48x.net/temp/isru-refinery.svg

An in-game gui based on this sort of graph would actually be pretty awesome. Incidentally, I also made some graphs as a mockup for a way to show how heat and wasteheat are handled: http://db48x.net/temp/KSPI first.svg, http://db48x.net/temp/KSPI second.svg, and http://db48x.net/temp/KSPI third.svg

Hey there! I've been goofing around with a new model and thought I'd drop by to see if you guys had any interest in a part like this for your mod. It's still a work in progress, but if you have a use for it I'll happily donate it to you.

n9leUP4.jpg

rxzi5Km.jpg

Updated

after a bit more work here's how it looks now.

0I1Xxx5.jpg

DgjgQBs.jpg

oOilMXY.jpg

Animated the canisters on the sides and added some emissives...

Edited by Roboto
Updated images

If anyone is interested I've made a MM patch for the ISRU to make it a bit easier to attach. It makes the bottom node usable and adds a small top node. The side node can have things connected to it, but can't connect to other things (like the stock station hub). To make that less of an issue though, I have enabled surface attachement at that point.

Download at DropBox here

Images, because reasons:

http://imgur.com/a/GOBVy

Thanks man! That'll stop my rage!

Hey there! I've been goofing around with a new model and thought I'd drop by to see if you guys had any interest in a part like this for your mod. It's still a work in progress, but if you have a use for it I'll happily donate it to you.

http://i.imgur.com/n9leUP4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rxzi5Km.jpg

Looks promising - did you have anything in particular in mind or is it just something techy looking?

I was thinking, and thought of a part that could be very helpful for long range transmission of energy, using lasers. The laser would have much better power transfer over large distances, for i view the microwave transmitter better for short range (in the system) energy transfer. The laser would however, be limited to one target only, so would have to paired up with a receiver, and can only be pointed to a craft that will not move under its own power, for once it moves, the alignment would be off and have zero power very fast. What do you guys think about this?

Here it is in diagram form. However, I usually match direction then speed. Where his explanation was speed then direction.

good call on that I kinda wrote that up flow of consciousness style and it does make more sense to match direction first as your likely to end up modifying your velocity a bit while changing direction. I dont often use the technique for modifying speed just direction. Considering how much dV you can get off a single jet fuselage and a plasma thruster I tend to just send a couple of those as drop tanks along to change the speed once I get there. Heck to jool, my most comon target I dont always even bother changeing the direction unless I'm going 180 to it. Just warp in on an areobreak trajectory and repeat a couple times if I need to bleed off more velocity than is safe on a single pass.

@Fractal_UK

So after arriving at Laythe and getting a small base established with Extraplanetary Launchpads, I decided it was time to do something about my slowly dwindling fuel supply. I have set up a uranium refinery at a hotspot that seems to be working out quite well, and I've got a science lab and 2 refineries churning away extracting lithium and deuterium from a nearby lake, intending to breed that lithium to tritium. Deuterium extraction seems to be acceptable at 0.94 kg/h but lithium is being extracted at only 753.034 mg/hour.

I have to go up to 10000x timewarp to get it to move at all and even then it's being extracted at less than 0.01 units per second. At max timewarp it goes at 0.04 per second. To fill a single tank of lithium with 1 refinery would take 6.9 realtime hours of time warping at max speed. I happen to have the liquid spectrometer on a probe on all the planets with oceans on them, there is no place with a higher concentration of lithium in its oceans. The way things are now, it doesn't seem remotely viable at all to get Lithium from anywhere else than the VAB. Is there anyplace I can increase the concentration of lithium in the oceans or make the refinery extract lithium faster somehow? I couldn't find anything of the sort in the config files in the 0.10.3 release.

Is there anyplace I can increase the concentration of lithium in the oceans or make the refinery extract lithium faster somehow? I couldn't find anything of the sort in the config files in the 0.10.3 release.

OpenResourceSystem\PlanetResourceData\oceanicresourcedefinitions.cfg

OCEANIC_RESOURCE_DEFINITION

{

name = LaytheLithium

guiName = Lithium

celestialBodyName = Laythe

abundance = 0.000000237

}

Roboto, this could be a nice APU to generate Megajoules by burning Fuel + Oxydizer, say to coldstart a small fusion generator without the need to haul a fission reactor/generator combo...

Yea cool! Really, I'll leave that up who ever has a use for it. Any suggestions on detailing it out further are welcome. I'll be adding to it and skinning it over the weekend.

I actually do not have the time to go places with rockets, gather a decent sized load of antimatter, adn transport it back to kerbin. It's time consuming, and I am not good enough to make a ship that makes it to Kerbol's inner orbit and back to kerbin with fuel left over...I could make one that takes forever to get there, but I don't have the time. So.

Why can I no longer make the antimatter tanks and core have full AM and full Science built? Or is there something I happened to miss among the updates that involves KSP's new research (vanilla science) and create aspect?

I actually do not have the time to go places with rockets, gather a decent sized load of antimatter, adn transport it back to kerbin. It's time consuming, and I am not good enough to make a ship that makes it to Kerbol's inner orbit and back to kerbin with fuel left over...I could make one that takes forever to get there, but I don't have the time. So.

Why can I no longer make the antimatter tanks and core have full AM and full Science built? Or is there something I happened to miss among the updates that involves KSP's new research (vanilla science) and create aspect?

The antimatter tanks have always started out empty, but you could hyperedit them. In sandbox mode everything including the computer core starts out upgraded.

Encountered another bug with direct conversion generators.

I was trying to build spaceplane based on 2.5m fusion reactor and did not want to include 2.5m generator. I used 0.625m reactor+generator instead, which was intended to use he-3 to generate enough power for big reactor to run. But... it turned out that generator is using charged particles from big reactor, it will show things like "maximum power 11.78MW, current power 46.4MW" and run just fine in D/T fuel mode. And it also work fine with small reactor disabled or fuel deprived.

Edited by Lightwarrior

Hi, I built a 24 science laboratory space station at LKO, it is powered by a 2.5 reactor and an upgraded generator plus 4 massive radiators it hosts 49 of the less stupid kerbals I could manage to gather before launch, each lab supposedly generates between 0.8 to 1.3 science per day (about 2 science per day total).

2014-02-15_00005.jpg

but after a 7 day time warp with another vessel, when returning to the station I only got 1 science

2014-02-15_00004.jpg

What am I missing?

If it says 0.133/day it will generate 0.133/day...

And those messages are per lab i think, so if you will check your R&D you probably got ~24 science.

Also it is very inefficient, you can get comparable amount of science if you land 2 labs on something like Ike.

OpenResourceSystem\PlanetResourceData\oceanicresourcedefinitions.cfg

OCEANIC_RESOURCE_DEFINITION

{

name = LaytheLithium

guiName = Lithium

celestialBodyName = Laythe

abundance = 0.000000237

}

Thanks, I hadn't thought of looking in the OpenResourceSystem dir yet. Going to be tweaking this a bit to make lithium extraction a little more bearable. :)

There may be something up with gathering antimatter while not flying a craft and/or when the collectors and containment device are separated by docking ports. I'm using 10.3 but all(?) of the craft in question were originally created in 9.x something. All craft are in much the same 970km -ish Kerbin orbit.

1) A simple all in one craft, containment and 4 collectors. Antimatter increases when flying and when not flying the craft.

2) Bit of a beast with containment docked to two main arms which themselves dock to 12 collector arms each with 6 collectors. This behaves as expected when I'm flying the craft but gathers very little (ie, probably 0) antimatter when not the active vessel.

3) My pride and joy, containment docked to two main arms, the arms dock to a total of 9 collector arms (4 + 5), each collector arm has 12 collectors. This actually collects less antimatter per minute than 2) for some reason, it also collects antimatter only while it is the active vessel.

@FractalUK

My impactor experiments don't seem to be working on Kerbin. They worked fine on the Mun (in fact, all I needed was to collide a detached thermometer into the Mun at the game-equivalent of mach 1.8 to get an impact to register there...), but I can't get them to work on Kerbin.

This experiment in impact detection on Kerbin yielded absolutely no detected impacts for the detectors on the rover. And since I did exactly the same thing on the Mun (different impactor and rover, but same approach), I know I'm doing it correctly...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The pic's with the explosion are actually from the SRB's on the impactor (I wanted to see if they would register as well), but the impactor itself hit the ground at a little over 100 m/s here (hard to get it to hit much faster, given the effects of drag).

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

If it says 0.133/day it will generate 0.133/day...

And those messages are per lab i think, so if you will check your R&D you probably got ~24 science.

Also it is very inefficient, you can get comparable amount of science if you land 2 labs on something like Ike.

Yep you are right, I got 17 science, the message should be just for one of them.

Yes this might be a little unoptimal, I forgot about soi multipliers that is what happens for being playing so late at night