[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

I've been using the same vessel name for all the impactors, but I transmit the science between impacts.

Seems like this would be a great thing to have on the wiki page about the "Double C Seismic Accelerometer". :)

(edited for spelling)

Done. Remember that the wiki is public and can be editing by anyone :)

I've been using the same vessel name for all the impactors, but I transmit the science between impacts.

Seems like this would be a great thing to have on the wiki page about the "Double C Seismic Accelerometer". :)

(edited for spelling)

I was transmitting the science between impacts but it still wasnt registering till I renamed the impactors.

This is what I really want, a "recipe" list. Half the time I have no idea if it's going to work!

You mean like the one that Squad gave you at the beginning to learn how to build successful rockets? :)

So, I was inspired by Scott Manley's Interstellar quest set and I downloaded the whole mod set, except I did this last week so I have the latest versions of everything. So far, things seem to work, except, there are some oddities. Also, this thread is 728 pages long and the forum search function is not very helpful. I'm hoping someone can help with my questions.

1. I thought the Magnetometer had a "log data" option. Was this removed or did something bad happen to my installation? If something bad happened, how do I get it back?

2. I take it the impactor has completely removed the old seismograph functionality? So you can't just land somewhere and "take data"? That seems too bad. So, same as before: is this normal or did something bad happen to my install?

3. I just saw the updated instructions for taking impact data. I'll give them a shot - but it seems tricky that you can't reload a save or go to the mission control if you want to keep the experiments.

Thanks for all the help!

Edit: I know my problem with the seismic impactors: How do you switch ships after the destruction of the first one? I get the f3 screen that the ship has been destroyed and it wants me to go the space center or the tracking station. I can't seem to click on any other ships to change control. How do I do it?

Edited by DivisionByZero
thought of additional issue

You mean like the one that Squad gave you at the beginning to learn how to build successful rockets? :)

This is slightly more complex! The first thing Squad gives you is the Spacebar-goes-up.R.B. :) The first thing KSPI gives you is a bunch of radially attachable chemicals...

So, I was inspired by Scott Manley's Interstellar quest set and I downloaded the whole mod set, except I did this last week so I have the latest versions of everything. So far, things seem to work, except, there are some oddities. Also, this thread is 728 pages long and the forum search function is not very helpful. I'm hoping someone can help with my questions.

1. I thought the Magnetometer had a "log data" option. Was this removed or did something bad happen to my installation? If something bad happened, how do I get it back?

2. I take it the impactor has completely removed the old seismograph functionality? So you can't just land somewhere and "take data"? That seems too bad. So, same as before: is this normal or did something bad happen to my install?

3. I just saw the updated instructions for taking impact data. I'll give them a shot - but it seems tricky that you can't reload a save or go to the mission control if you want to keep the experiments.

Thanks for all the help!

1. It does - but it only works outside the atmosphere. Are you not seeing the Log Data option while in orbit?

2. Correct. If you do want the old seismograph functionality back there are instructions on the wiki to restore it, but it's kind of compensation for the science added by the magnetometer. And the impactors are a huge amount of science, at the cost of the extra complexity for planning and executing the mission.

3. Yes - not sure if a mod can fix that. You have to edit WarpPlugin.cfg in your "Kerbal Space Program\Saves\[game name]\" folder - just hit CTRL+END to go to the end of the file and you'll see the SEISMIC_SCIENCE_DUNA node to delete.

bonesbro: Thanks a lot for trying to help me out.

Re. 1: I just launched a mission again to double-check. I do not get a "log data" option in orbit. What can I do to fix it?

Re. 2: Well, this is fine as a balancing measure. I suppose it's a lot more annoying since my magnetometers are not letting me log data. I have another question though:

How do you switch vessels after you've impacted into the body? My f3 screen pops up telling me the mission has ended and then it seems to disable my ability to select other nearby craft. The only things I can do are go to the space center or tracking station, though I can look in the map (just can't click anything). If I go back to the tracking station and change there, I can't access the seismic data. Any thoughts on what's going on or what I should do? I'm not really landing close enough to use [ or ] to change ships.

Re. 3: I saw that in the wiki. It works, but I can't switch vessels without going through the tracking station.

Thanks again - I really appreciate it.

I have another question though:

How do you switch vessels after you've impacted into the body? My f3 screen pops up telling me the mission has ended and then it seems to disable my ability to select other nearby craft. The only things I can do are go to the space center or tracking station, though I can look in the map (just can't click anything). If I go back to the tracking station and change there, I can't access the seismic data. Any thoughts on what's going on or what I should do? I'm not really landing close enough to use [ or ] to change ships.

You should be able to close the F3 window.... just press Escape, then escape again and you should have closed the window and be able to switch vessels via map view :)

You should be able to close the F3 window.... just press Escape, then escape again and you should have closed the window and be able to switch vessels via map view :)

Also, you can go back to mission control any time you want. The only thing you should avoid is loading a save that was taken before you transmitted impact data. KSPI will think that the data has already been transmitted, and won't let you do it again, but since you loaded an earlier save your science total will be the amount from before the transmission.

So there IS water on minmus? WOOOHOOO! thank you :D

Are there specific points where there is more water? and if yes, how can i find those? (sorry)

Fractal_UK has stated that a future version will include a sensor for remotely detecting water (the exist in real life, after all). In the mean time you can go look at the resource maps, if you want. They're in GameData\WarpPlugin\PlanetResourceData.

In the mean time you can go look at the resource maps, if you want. They're in GameData\WarpPlugin\PlanetResourceData.

Now that is useful :)

I already got the next question: will a satellite with a transciever set to relay also send its own power (if it has a generator on board)? Or will it only send the energy it recieves?

Now that is useful :)

I already got the next question: will a satellite with a transciever set to relay also send its own power (if it has a generator on board)? Or will it only send the energy it recieves?

I believe you need need a transmitter, since relays don't demand power the way a transmitter does. Remember, relays and transmitters don't have to point in any specific direction.

Sort of a response to to the "looking for a plasma thruster recipe," sort of a "look what I managed," and sort of a question on "are you serious, it's that effin' powerful?"

Here's a short video demonstrating the full power of this fully operational... plasma thruster.

Basically you need a power source, in this case eight orbital reactors in high orbit contributing about 4GW of power total to the microwave network, through three lower orbit relays. (Yes, I hyper-edited the the orbits for long-term stability... beats the hell out of manually tweaking the orbits every couple of months of timewarp... but I learned how to get them into position the hard way first. Need a mod that allows high precision orbital positioning and upkeep without needing to edit the file directly...).

This power is fed through three MW Receivers on IR hinges and pistons, in 3-fold symmetry, and one phased array receiver. The phased array becomes the relay proper once in position.

Because of the high power throughput, you need heat radiators. In this case, three of the small versions.

100L of Monopropellant in the Stretchytank is sufficient to get to orbit as well as land (if necessary). Orbital maneuvers can be conducted on Quantum Vacuum.

One 62.5cm Plasma Thruster provides enough thrust to get the entire assemblage to orbit, but you've gotta watch your power. Once you've got more than a GW of input power, you're capable of quite a bit more thrust than strictly necessary to get to orbit. Limiting thrust to 20 m/sec^2 accel gives you plenty of thrust to orbit.

If the upgraded equipment wasn't as far up the tech tree as it is, this would be quite a bit OP.

Guys I'm having a problem when I try to launch the deployable phase array inside fairings. You know how when you go to launch, it starts unfolded before folding up again? Well, I think it clips with the mesh of the fairing or something, so when I go to jettison the fairings, it makes the entire craft swing backwards, ripping the phase array off in the process.

Is there any way around this? I'm using FAR so fairing-less launches are not an option.

It's procedural fairings btw.

Guys I'm having a problem when I try to launch the deployable phase array inside fairings. You know how when you go to launch, it starts unfolded before folding up again? Well, I think it clips with the mesh of the fairing or something, so when I go to jettison the fairings, it makes the entire craft swing backwards, ripping the phase array off in the process.

Is there any way around this? I'm using FAR so fairing-less launches are not an option.

It's procedural fairings btw.

Nah it's the fairing's fault as much as it is the part's (the part has a larger hit box),and procedural fairings rip off things due to how their collision box works (they are more solid than other fairings) and if you set them to lower explosive force it should be less dangerous (or make them larger)

I've had trouble with the them before

bonesbro: Thanks a lot for trying to help me out.

Re. 1: I just launched a mission again to double-check. I do not get a "log data" option in orbit. What can I do to fix it?

Re. 2: Well, this is fine as a balancing measure. I suppose it's a lot more annoying since my magnetometers are not letting me log data. I have another question though:

Re. 3: I saw that in the wiki. It works, but I can't switch vessels without going through the tracking station.

1: Hmm - reinstalling the mod might fix it. Maybe? Do you have any other science-related mods like the remote data thingy? The magnetometer doesn't have a right click menu to extract data like the stock mods; you just right click it while piloting the craft and it should work. You do have an "activate magnetometer" that extends it out and starts showing sciencenumbers right?

2: I always go back through the tracking station then select my lander. You had it in "record seismic" mode, right, the one that pops up a message saying it's listening for impacts?

2: I always go back through the tracking station then select my lander. You had it in "record seismic" mode, right, the one that pops up a message saying it's listening for impacts?

Yeah also you should switch back to one of your ships that where recording data and make sure you don't crash into any kerbal-made objects! ( it won't count as crashing into the ground)

This is slightly more complex! The first thing Squad gives you is the Spacebar-goes-up.R.B. :) The first thing KSPI gives you is a bunch of radially attachable chemicals...

Right. 'Cause rocket science is easy...

Right. 'Cause rocket science is easy...

You seem intent on arguing on the principle that having access to nuclear fuels while not-knowing-what-they-do is realistic, so here's breadog. Every time that you post some inane twaddle about telescopes not needing lenses or FAR being unrealistic, it barks a little wheaty bark. Wheeef! Wheeef!

You seem intent on arguing on the principle that having access to nuclear fuels while not-knowing-what-they-do is realistic, so here's breadog. Every time that you post some inane twaddle about telescopes not needing lenses or FAR being unrealistic, it barks a little wheaty bark. Wheeef! Wheeef!

LOL. "Reflector" telescopes don't need lenses, which is what Hubble is and what CactEye looks like. And I never said FAR was unrealistic.

Its the thermalpower. Technically its non-transferable, but after all, any module that has thermal power defined, will be able to 'receive' thermal power from other module, in this case, another reactor. Btw, microwave thermal receivers should also work on same thing. Nice thrust, but then, that is the 3.75m fusion reactor, so i suppose it looks right, i only tested 2.5m upgraded reactor with thermal turbojet. Pretty decent Isp as well, 4000 with LFO.

Only thing that i wonder in that concept is, that you should be able to get max. thrust just that one main nozzle as it splits the power to three.

I've been waiting for someone else to have the same issue as me, but it seems like I'm alone here. No matter what I do I cannot get Kerbal to work with this mod. It either CTDs after loading the parts or when I load/start a game. I've tried it with mods, with just parts packs and with a fresh install. No changes, just a guaranteed CTD.

Yes I installed it as per the readme, and this is the second PC that won't run this mod (since I changed recently). Any ideas? I obviously don't have any crash logs, Kerbal just closes without confirmation.

Glint